The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So this is a little complicated, but basically I want to study History of Art at Oxford, and am about to start my A levels, I will be taking Modern History, Fine Art, Politics and Economics.

At my first secondary school I was bullied and missed a lot of school, with a very low attendance, halfway through my first year of GCSEs I decided I couldn't cope with it anymore and left at the end of the year. Instead of leaving with nothing the school let me take four GCSEs early and I gained:
A* English lit
A Maths
A Biology
A Textiles
Then I went to an independent international school to sit the rest of my GCSEs in a one year course, however I was very ill for about two months and actually missed sitting some of them, so I received grades lower than predicted, and only gaining:
A* Fine art
A Geography
A Photography
B English
B Physics

I also volunteer at a charity shop, local museum, am a member of the local history society and have had work experience in an architect’s office and auction house. Would Oxford take me? Thanks!
Reply 9841
aha, yes i did 5 a year early.
Original post by CocaColaBottle
Hiya
I'm applying this year but not feeling the most confident about Oxbridge as my school have a kind of elite Oxbridge group of students, which im not in :redface: so i dont know whether i'll be setting myself up for a rejection with
at GCSE
6A*s-Maths,Chemistry,Biology,Physics,English Lang.,Classical Civilisation
4A's-P.E., German, Art, Eng. Lit.

at AS
A's in Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics and Critical Thinking :rolleyes:

?? Could I?

what subject are you looking to apply for and what are your AS module marks?

Your GCSEs are good enough for most subjects at Oxford, but rather low for medicine applications. Strong performance in the subject aptitude tests will be important in getting an interview place.

Cambridge will depend on your UMS marks at AS, that's what they base their decisions on mainly.

Frankly your school should not be trying to make the decision for you, and Oxbridge don't care if they've pre-selected you or not. Obviously if your school disadvantages you, or already has, by not providing the same level of assistance it gives the "chosen ones" then you will need to make them give you that help.
Reply 9843
Original post by sickoftheslaughter
Would Oxford take me? Thanks!

Your GCSE performance will be contextualized, but you should make sure sufficient details are given in your reference. Your volunteer work won't be of interest to Oxford. If you want to use your spare time to improve your application, do as much studying art history as you can.
Thanks for all your votes! Got my results now but sadly they aren't in the 12-15A* band! :tongue:
Yes, they will take your backround into consideration.

So this is a little complicated, but basically I want to study History of Art at Oxford, and am about to start my A levels, I will be taking Modern History, Fine Art, Politics and Economics.

At my first secondary school I was bullied and missed a lot of school, with a very low attendance, halfway through my first year of GCSEs I decided I couldn't cope with it anymore and left at the end of the year. Instead of leaving with nothing the school let me take four GCSEs early and I gained:
A* English lit
A Maths
A Biology
A Textiles
Then I went to an independent international school to sit the rest of my GCSEs in a one year course, however I was very ill for about two months and actually missed sitting some of them, so I received grades lower than predicted, and only gaining:
A* Fine art
A Geography
A Photography
B English
B Physics

I also volunteer at a charity shop, local museum, am a member of the local history society and have had work experience in an architect’s office and auction house. Would Oxford take me? Thanks!

Don't rely too heavily on your PS, Oxford don't care much for it and really try to get nitty gritty in Interviews.

But yes, you should be fine, Oxford are quite understanding in their approach to extraordinary cases. Although you might struggle if you do not have a supporting referee who can vouch for the issues you have suffered. They ultimately want to know if you have unlockable potential in the admissions process...
Your AS and A levels are also far more important anyway, along with the entrance test/written work for your course.

Sources : Oxford Admissions tutor & A friend who got in with V.high A levels but mainly Bs with some Cs and As at GCSE (Psychological problems).
Reply 9847
But i have read that you need 6-8 A*'s at GCSE, is this true?
I have a friend who got in for English with 4 A*s

EDIT: This is the thread you want
My gcse grades:

English literature A* - 100%
English language A*
maths A* - 100%
physics - A*
chemistry A
Biology A
French A*
History A*
ICT A
Media Studies A
Additional Maths A
German B

My ambition had been to do either law, economics or pure maths at Oxford university and I had chosen maths, further maths, English lit, physics and economics a levels to keep those 3 options open. However having got my gcse grades and them being worse than I expected I am not sure if they are good enough. Will they hold me back in an Oxford application?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply 9850
Original post by Spam1859
Will they hold me back in an Oxford application?

Your GCSEs are fine. :smile:
Original post by BJack
Your GCSEs are fine. :smile:

I was worried the b and having only 6 A stars could be a problem...
Reply 9852
Original post by BJack
When you fill in your UCAS form, you say which secondary schools you have attended and when, so they'll be able to see where you did your GCSEs.

My dream is to read law at Oxford. Do you think i have a reasonable chance provided that i get 4 As at AS and have a good ps/reference? Thanks again :smile:
Reply 9853
I was worried the b and having only 6 A stars could be a problem...

Your GCSEs are about average for an Oxford applicant. Do well at AS; do well on the LNAT; do well at interview. Hey presto, you're in. (Easier said than done, mind you.)
Original post by BJack
Your GCSEs are about average for an Oxford applicant. Do well at AS; do well on the LNAT; do well at interview. Hey presto, you're in. (Easier said than done, mind you.)

Definitely easier said than done but still slightly reassuring! What would I need at AS - 5As?
Reply 9855
Original post by lg95
But i have read that you need 6-8 A*'s at GCSE, is this true?

No, that's not true. The typical applicant probably has around 6-8 A*s and the typical successful applicant will be on the higher side of that, but that's only an average there are plenty of successful applicants with few (or even no) A*s at GCSE.
Reply 9856
Definitely easier said than done but still slightly reassuring! What would I need at AS - 5As?

Straight As would be a good aim, yes, whether that's four or five subjects.

Original post by P3847
My dream is to read law at Oxford. Do you think i have a reasonable chance provided that i get 4 As at AS and have a good ps/reference? Thanks again :smile:

Absolutely.
Original post by P3847

Oxford will contextualise your GCSEs against your GCSE school and see how well you have done. 4 As at AS (in good subjects) would be ideal though a B wouldn't stop you! Good PS and reference of course, and don't forget the LNAT. A bit of work experience is always nice, but not essential; some reading to show engagement with the subject is important.
Make sure you tell your head of sixth form when you make your application and they'll stick it into the reference. I had some things about a bad illness in Lower Sixth put into my reference, for example.

As a rule, Oxford aren't too fussed about all sorts of extra-curricular activities (certainly not the DofE), UNLESS you stress how it builds upon your academic ability and inspires your love of history. Should be easy enough to work out what is worth mentioning in that regard.

Your GCSE results are fine anyway.
I Got 4 A's And 6 B's In My GCSE's

English Literature = A
R.E. = A
ICT = A/A (2 Distinctions Equivalent To Grade A)
Maths = B
Science (Core) = B
Additional Science = B
Graphics = B
German = B
English Language = B

Are They Good Enough For Oxbridge? Hope So - I'd Like To Do Law In University :smile:

Majid :smile:

German

Latest

Trending

Trending