The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

I missed my assignment deadline because I need extra time on it.

I suffer from ADHD and I'm on medication to help me focus. I was given a one-week extension for three of my essays because of my disorder. I submitted two of the essays yesterday. I'm still working on one of the assignments which were due yesterday! The university is aware of my condition, but if you submit your assignment a couple of days after the deadline without a reason. Do they slash your marks or fail you? I want to email the lecturer explaining why I handed the assignment at a later date.
Original post by princess pokey
I suffer from ADHD and I'm on medication to help me focus. I was given a one-week extension for three of my essays because of my disorder. I submitted two of the essays yesterday. I'm still working on one of the assignments which were due yesterday! The university is aware of my condition, but if you submit your assignment a couple of days after the deadline without a reason. Do they slash your marks or fail you? I want to email the lecturer explaining why I handed the assignment at a later date.

I was failed and given a 0 for submitting mine too late once not sure if it will be the same for you as you have a medical issue
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Original post by princess pokey

Email your lecturer apply for exceptional factors or whatever the remedy is at your uni, maybe an appeal...
You can email the lecturer - I think they'll probably say you should have asked for another extension earlier.

Have a read of the university academic regulations, at most unis it usually boils down to baing able to pass that assessmengt with a capped mark at 40% at most unis provided you hand it in within a few days of the deadline.

also if you notice you've got a lot of assignments due in the same week when you're filling in your calendar it's worth mentioning it to the lecturers or the course leader as soon as you realise. it might be possible to move some official hand in dates back .
If you have been given an extension you might be okay, but at our uni we had to physically hand it in if we'd had an extension rather than submit it through the system. Get in touch with whoever set the paper and see what they say.
I'm a university lecturer who also has ADHD and would completely understand your situation! At least for me as a professor, the best thing is when students directly reach out and explain what is going on. Sometimes it's hard to make additional accommodations (eg if it's exams /finals week and final course grades must be released) - and for some professors you might have to explain what adhd is. But even then, I often work flexibly with students, especially if you have actually made progress and have a plan for getting things done. Also, check the course syllabus. Sometimes a few days after your deadline is only a few percent penalty, not a zero. But reach out! Some lecturers might not get it, but most genuinely want to help you get a good grade and learn the material. I hope that helps.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending