The Student Room Group

Science / biology Equivalency tests

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Similar, yes, but not as original, which you'll understand if you're familiar with the Pearson exams. The questions are a bit more direct, and give you some clues and lots of 1 point questions with occasional 5-6 point ones. I think the test was out of 130 marks.
Reply 21
Original post by hopeb2007

Spoiler

The paper had 130 marks, and were made up of single point questions and some 5-6 point ones.

Similar questions yes, but not quite as original as the Edexcel papers, if you're familiar with those.

If you have one of those CGP books, they are great for revision. I blasted through all my revision in a morning before the exam and everything felt fresh again.
Hi EdwardThank you for your response. You have been great with your detail of the content on the test. This would confirm for those not sure what the content may be. However, may I ask did you do the Combined Science Equivilancy Paper that`s multiple-choice? It sounds like there's a lot of Biology in this content you mentioned?So are you saying you no longer need to attend their office in North London? You can do the test from home? If so brilliant !RgdsA
Edward

Congratulations on your exam result! Thank you for your information. This is very helpful.
Original post by Edward0
I've been studying for months for my Biology and will sit my equivalency test today with Equivalency Testing. Com. I've been looking for what kind of format the test will take but had no luck.If anyone needs resources for learning and improving I can recommend the Khan Academy website. It's free to use and really well presented, there's some tough multiple choice questions which I always fail to answer correctly. Pearson have a massive collection of exams going back to 2011 on their website. I've sat about 10 of them now and marked my own papers with their mark schemes. That has been the most valuable resource. I also paid for a tutor in February with ICS learn. They have the full course materials which are a bit boring to look at, but you can send your tutor any test papers you've sat and they will go over it with you. It took me years to get here, I was worried about it for ages but the process has been quite enjoyable. Especially in lockdown.Good luck with your Primary Education entry. I might see you there.

Original post by Edward0
Hi George, I sat the test online yes.

Equivalency Testing didn't manage to respond to a single email, they are really ill prepared in the administration department but they sent the emails and confirmations of the examination when I'd completed the forms and sent the money. It felt rather daunting to send money to them when they couldn't even manage a reply to an email.

Anyway. I've had a couple of private messages about the format so I'll mention them here for anyone to read.

It takes place on Google classrooms, so you'll need to install that. The invigilator watches you and about 20 others on Zoom, so you'll have to install that too, they send you the login details 2-3 days before the test so don't get worried until the day before.

You'll need a web cam and microphone, desktop is recommended as some of the guys sitting their exam couldn't have zoom and Google classrooms open at the same time. Two devices might be ok (phone for zoom, desktop/tablet for Google classrooms)

The test was easier than the Pearson exams, but had plenty of content in 12 multiple part questions covering the usual things like plant/animal cells, pathogens, vaccinations, transportation, photosynthesis, food chains, energy transfer, homeostasis, evolution, biodiversity and hormones.

If you can manage to do ok in the person IGCSE past papers which you can download for free from the Pearson website (link below)...

.... You'll do fine in the Equivalency Testing paper.

Let me know how you get on. And feel free to ask any more nagging questions.

Edward.
Reply 24
Original post by Alex Daniels
Hi EdwardThank you for your response. You have been great with your detail of the content on the test. This would confirm for those not sure what the content may be. However, may I ask did you do the Combined Science Equivilancy Paper that`s multiple-choice? It sounds like there's a lot of Biology in this content you mentioned?So are you saying you no longer need to attend their office in North London? You can do the test from home? If so brilliant !RgdsA

Hi, no worries!

I sat the Biology Higher exam, so I cannot comment on the Double Science equivalency test, though I'd be surprised if the format was any different. To confirm, it was not multiple-choice.

Since the lockdowns started happening, Equivalency Testing migrated their testing to be done online, so there is (currently) no need to travel to London to do your exam. I sat mine in Hong Kong!

Thanks for the pat on the back, it was nice to get it out the way!

Edward.
Edward,

Please can you help me? I’m due to sit the biology exam on Tuesday 11. I’ve paid but not received a confirmation or Im
Is the exam a live test on line or is it printable. Is it multiple choice ?
I’ve not used teams or zoom before. I’m sure I can set it up using my laptop and iPad?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hi, no worries!

I sat the Biology Higher exam, so I cannot comment on the Double Science equivalency test, though I'd be surprised if the format was any different. To confirm, it was not multiple-choice.

Since the lockdowns started happening, Equivalency Testing migrated their testing to be done online, so there is (currently) no need to travel to London to do your exam. I sat mine in Hong Kong!

Edward.
Reply 26
Original post by Anagarda
Edward,

Please can you help me? I’m due to sit the biology exam on Tuesday 11. I’ve paid but not received a confirmation or Im
I’ve not used teams or zoom before. I’m sure I can set it up using my laptop and iPad?

Hi,

I don't work for Equivalency Testing, so I can't confirm anything. I can just offer my experience with taking their exam.

I received my confirmation/invitation 2 days before the exam. I had an email address for my invigilator, and some login details for the Google classroom and Zoom meeting.

It is an on-screen exam, so no paper! It runs on a web page inside Google Classrooms.. Really easy, just make sure you have Google Classrooms and Zoom installed and your webcam and microphone sent up with all the permissions granted etc. It's not multiple choice, but written (typed) answers across 12, multi-part questions.

Once you have the in details, you can login 15 minutes before and they'll activate the Google classroom once everyone is in the Zoom meeting.

They aren't good at replying to emails, but once you have the details for the zoom/classroom, just faith and try and get set up on the day. Refer to what I said in the messages above about doing it on your tablet. It could be that you can't have two apps open at the same time particularly with the webcam.. remember the invigilator needs to see your webcam throughout the test. Desktop/laptop may be preferable as they can run multiple Windows at the same time.

I'm sure it will be fine on the day, I'm sorry you seem to be having the same issues with getting a reply. If you don't get one, and you can't log in, there are plenty of exam dates in each month, so you'll be able to sit an exam if Tuesday doesn't happen! Don't get stressed about emails and get practising for the test!

Good luck! And send another email to Eq.Testing it can't hurt.

Edward
Hi,

I don't work for Equivalency Testing, so I can't confirm anything. I can just offer my experience with taking their exam.

I received my confirmation/invitation 2 days before the exam. I had an email address for my invigilator, and some login details for the Google classroom and Zoom meeting.

It is an on-screen exam, so no paper! It runs on a web page inside Google Classrooms.. Really easy, just make sure you have Google Classrooms and Zoom installed and your webcam and microphone sent up with all the permissions granted etc. It's not multiple choice, but written (typed) answers across 12, multi-part questions.

Once you have the in details, you can login 15 minutes before and they'll activate the Google classroom once everyone is in the Zoom meeting.

They aren't good at replying to emails, but once you have the details for the zoom/classroom, just faith and try and get set up on the day. Refer to what I said in the messages above about doing it on your tablet. It could be that you can't have two apps open at the same time particularly with the webcam.. remember the invigilator needs to see your webcam throughout the test. Desktop/laptop may be preferable as they can run multiple Windows at the same time.

I'm sure it will be fine on the day, I'm sorry you seem to be having the same issues with getting a reply. If you don't get one, and you can't log in, there are plenty of exam dates in each month, so you'll be able to sit an exam if Tuesday doesn't happen! Don't get stressed about emails and get practising for the test!

Edward

Thank you very much Edward.
I applied on line this morning and paid £30.00. For this Tuesday 11 aug
This exam is now full and closed to applications.
I will email them again tomorrow.
Taking your advice, I’ll crack on revising!
Regards ....
I've applied for my biology exam and have just received my confirmation email, but have noticed it says that I can't use a mac book. I only have a mac book. Did you have this problem? Do you know why they are saying this? It's now 21:40, the night before my exam and I don't know what to do.
Edward,

Hi, no worries!

Edward.

Hey, I'm just wondering if you've had your confirmation for the

Hi,

Edward

Regards ....
Hi there,

I was just wondering if you had received your confirmation email yet? Did yours say anything about not being allowed to use a mac book?

Regards ....
Hi there,

I was just wondering if you had received your confirmation email yet? Did yours say anything about not being allowed to use a mac book?

Yes I received confirmation today, with these instructions>

The exam is via an online portal, Zoom and Google Classrooms.

“You will need a computer or Laptop that has a working camera and Microphone please note no mobile phones Macbooks or ipads can be used for this examination“

I only have a MacBook Air. I have been trying all day to find a laptop I can borrow.
I’m so stressed.

Regards ....

Hi there,

“You will need a computer or Laptop that has a working camera and Microphone please note no mobile phones Macbooks or ipads can be used for this examination“

I only have a MacBook Air. I have been trying all day to find a laptop I can borrow.
I’m so stressed.

They should have stated this on their website. This is unfair and the universities need to know this.
Reply 32
Hi how did you do on the science test. Was it difficult? Any advice please.⅚Kaye
Hi there,

I’m so stressed.

They should have stated this on their website. This is unfair and the universities need to know this.

I have a mac book air too (laptop). I called this morning and the woman on the phone said that as long as its a laptop, it's fine, you just can't use tablets (or kindles, as she put it!!!)
I agree though, this should have been explained weeks ago. I too, was up all evening trying to source another laptop. I think the mac book air will be fine though x
Original post by Meeeeeelanie

I’m so stressed.

thank you so much for this 👍🏻😅

I have a mac book air too (laptop). I called this morning and the woman on the phone said that as long as its a laptop, it's fine, you just can't use tablets (or kindles, as she put it!!!)
I agree though, this should have been explained weeks ago. I too, was up all evening trying to source another laptop. I think the mac book air will be fine though x

Good luck !

Good luck !

Thank you very much for this info re laptop.
Good luck !

Good luck to you too!
Original post by Meeeeeelanie
Good luck !

Good luck to you too!
Good luck to the both of you! I'm doing mine next week! All the best! :smile: Kelly
do you think they are aware if you cheat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending