The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by JohnDickinson01
I received my initial acceptance email two days ago and I was just wondering how the long the rest of the process takes, i live in warrington which is in the northwest so would I have to sit my aptitude test in Aberdeen or do some aptitude tests take place closer? Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

a friend of mine last year sat his aptitude tests at manchester airport hotel so actually thats fairly close by to you. he travelled 50 to 60 miles to his test centre. i expect to travel the same 120 mile round trip to sit my tests in a few months timr. hope this helps

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy S3
Reply 1981
does anybody know of any apprentices serving their placement onshore at Barrow gas terminals in cumbria???
I am confused. Someone said something about getting pay of £80 a week, is this true? How does the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years stack up to this?
Reply 1983
Original post by MattyB151
I am confused. Someone said something about getting pay of £80 a week, is this true? How does the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years stack up to this?

year 1 is around £400pcm and year 2 is worked out on an individual basis but it increases substantially.

year 3: onshore is £12,000pa, offshore is £16500pa.

year 4: onshore is £14,500 and offshore is £20,000.
Original post by char84
year 1 is around £400pcm and year 2 is worked out on an individual basis but it increases substantially.

year 3: onshore is £12,000pa, offshore is £16500pa.

year 4: onshore is £14,500 and offshore is £20,000.

Thanks for clearing this up. Appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 1985
what are the job prospects like after the apprenticeship?
Reply 1986
Original post by 20z12
what are the job prospects like after the apprenticeship?

presuming you pass all your exams (iv heard they expect merits and distinctions) the apprenticeship has a success rate of 95 or 96%, which is way above the national average. do your job well during your placement as well and you should be kept on. future pospects?? you can move into engineering or managerial roles such as lead technician, maintenance supervisor etc or even an OIM. there are opito apprentices that have become OIM's. or move into coaching, working abroad. opporunities are endless
Reply 1987
For those of you wondering about a response for the initial application, I sent mine away on Monday, and got an E-mail this morning (Wednesday) informing me of my 'initial acceptance' they also said they will contact me in the near future with test information.
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1988
How hard are the apptitude tests?
Reply 1989
Original post by 20z12
How hard are the apptitude tests?

I dont know but in a couple of months we'll find out for ourselves lol
Reply 1990
Hi.

What are the holidays like throughout the year? Is it similar to other college/university courses or are they different?

Also does anyone know if you are able to apply for the equivalent/same as deferred entry into the course?

Cheers
Reply 1991
Original post by ldon
Hi.

What are the holidays like throughout the year? Is it similar to other college/university courses or are they different?

Also does anyone know if you are able to apply for the equivalent/same as deferred entry into the course?

Cheers

I can't answer your 2nd question, but holidays are slightly different to colleges and uni. I believe you get 6 weeks in the 1st year of the college phase: 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in the summer and a week for Easter I think and another week somewhere else. Year 2 I'm not sure about (you'll get your 2 weeks at christmas) because it isn't a full year as you start your placement after 21 months at college, then if you're placed offshore you'll get 2/3 weeks leave after each trip offshore and onshore you'll work your shift pattern which vary. Onshore it could be 2 days, 2 nights and 4 off as an example but it depends who youre placed with.

There are opito students on here that can clarify this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1992
Original post by char84
I can't answer your 2nd question, but holidays are slightly different to colleges and uni. I believe you get 6 weeks in the 1st year of the college phase: 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in the summer and a week for Easter I think and another week somewhere else. Year 2 I'm not sure about (you'll get your 2 weeks at christmas) because it isn't a full year as you start your placement after 21 months at college, then if you're placed offshore you'll get 2/3 weeks leave after each trip offshore and onshore you'll work your shift pattern which vary. Onshore it could be 2 days, 2 nights and 4 off as an example but it depends who youre placed with.

There are opito students on here that can clarify this.

We get a week in mid-October, 2 weeks for Christmas, one week for Easter and 2 in the summer (first 2 weeks in July this year). So in second year we'll get the first 4 of those weeks. I'm not sure how long we get between finishing college and going offshore but I think it may only be a few days. And then time between shifts offshore depends on your gift pattern.

Original post by char84
is the £340 an accurate sum for the 1st year, just trying to do some number crunching in my head

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy S3

£340 + £40 travel expenses per month when i was in Aberdeen
Original post by char84
does anybody know of any apprentices serving their placement onshore at Barrow gas terminals in cumbria???

havent heard of anyone going there, think conoco only send apprentices offshore now
Hello Guys,

Has anyone who applied to OPITO been accepted but then forwarded to ECITB
for any further testing?

Are there any differences re money/food/transportation allowances between the 2?

Cheers,

K
here guys, opito/ecitb mock practice test.

I done the actual test few times before being accepted for instrumention 2 years ago.

I made this to give some m8s an idea of the test last year. They also passed and got on course.

Let me know how u get on.

Tuss Gray - Google Plus

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106024090439725593816?tab=wX#106024090439725593816/posts?tab=wX
got my inital acceptance of my application, I'm from essex around maldon... I'm thinking i might have to travel quite a bit... anybody else in essex who is or has done there aptitude test and knows how far it would be?
Reply 1998
Would anyone be able to give a quick rundown of the 4 course options: Instrument and Control Maintenance, Mechanical Maintenance, Electrical Maintenance and Process Operation? I'm not quite sure exactly what they cover and I'm thinking about applying for this in the future, thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1999
Original post by JF1903
Would anyone be able to give a quick rundown of the 4 course options: Instrument and Control Maintenance, Mechanical Maintenance, Electrical Maintenance and Process Operation? I'm not quite sure exactly what they cover and I'm thinking about applying for this in the future, thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a look on Opito's website, there's a description of each discipline on there in the modern apprenticeship section. There's bundles of other stuff to read about as well if you have a good look all around the site, especially My Oil and Gas career. Click that link it's interesting. Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending