The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xperty
Doesn't look like i have got a place. I was interviewed on the 15th of may and haven't heard anything back

there are still interviews being carried out

I dont have my interview until thursday - and anyway... there is supposed to be a 2nd interview before the medical - where I guess only the ones whom really impressed bypass this and move straight to the medical.

Im dreading my interview though, no idea what to expect D:

Good luck
Dean
Original post by Dean_Reid
there are still interviews being carried out

I dont have my interview until thursday - and anyway... there is supposed to be a 2nd interview before the medical - where I guess only the ones whom really impressed bypass this and move straight to the medical.

Im dreading my interview though, no idea what to expect D:

Good luck
Dean

Hey Dean

Good luck with your interview! Yeah I really didn't know what to expect either. I googled what to expect in technical interviews. It helped to put my mind at ease a bit. Where are you being interviewed? What is your 1st choice?

I really didn't think I'd be accepted-thought I did terribly in the interview!
As far as I am aware, people applying for Opito have only one interview where as people passed on to ECITB have two interviews, one informal one like the Opito interview, then a second formal interview with a sponsoring company.
Reply 1383
Original post by xperty
Doesn't look like i have got a place. I was interviewed on the 15th of may and haven't heard anything back

Stay positive mate! Ive no idea how they calculate candidates ie. do they have a points system based jointly on your aptitude test and interview? i dont know but dont count yourself out just yet. Still a while to go, just unfortunate that you were part of the first wave of applicants so you've got the longest wait.
Original post by Nameismark87
As far as I am aware, people applying for Opito have only one interview where as people passed on to ECITB have two interviews, one informal one like the Opito interview, then a second formal interview with a sponsoring company.

Yeah that's right, its changed for ecitb you now get an interview with the sponsoring company so that they can have some sort of input as to who they're sponsoring, i was told the second interviews will be the start of august in aberdeen..
Anyone else had their first ecitb interview aswell?
Original post by JAYP91
That was nervy! But i passed the medical, whats the next step? Do i get a letter from opito confirming my discipline?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

Hey man, have you got your contract through the post yet? I've been waiting for the post man everyday! Can't wait to just make it official and get the contract signed so I can hand in my notice for work
Reply 1386
Hey man, have you got your contract through the post yet? I've been waiting for the post man everyday! Can't wait to just make it official and get the contract signed so I can hand in my notice for work

Not yet, i got an email back saying it will be the end of the month/beginning of August. Im in the exact position, dont want to burn your bridges before you sign the dotted line!

Original post by JAYP91
Not yet, i got an email back saying it will be the end of the month/beginning of August. Im in the exact position, dont want to burn your bridges before you sign the dotted line!

Got my contract through just now! It doesn't have a place or discipline, although it does have a start date. I was told via email that it could be into August before we are placed. At least I've got my place guaranteed though so that's good enough for me just now.

me too- can't wait to hand my notice in! xxxx
Reply 1389
Got my contract through just now! It doesn't have a place or discipline, although it does have a start date. I was told via email that it could be into August before we are placed. At least I've got my place guaranteed though so that's good enough for me just now.

What does the start date say on your letter? Obviously I have to give my work a certain amount of notice
3rd September is the start date, Jay :smile: Aah predictive text leaving those kisses before-embarrassing much.
Just back from my interview in Grangemouth :smile:

Seemed to go pretty well surprisingly, mostly all questions that turned up I had prepared for at least a little for which made it a little easier to handle.

Though a few unexpected questions were thrown in and got me babbling on what I feel was rubbish - hopefully I've done enough haha

For all the ECITB people;
All interviewed should probs hear back just after 20th July, saying if you've made it to the 2nd interview which will take place 1st week in August :wink:

Good luck all :smile:
Dean
Does anyone know how much allowance U get every month? Also, I'm going to get a new laptop before college starts I dunno if we going to need CAD on our personal computers or not, does anyone know?
Reply 1393
Original post by damilola
Does anyone know how much allowance U get every month? Also, I'm going to get a new laptop before college starts I dunno if we going to need CAD on our personal computers or not, does anyone know?

Damilola you're going down a different route so the opito/ecitb scheme is nothing to do with what you're doing. If uv been offered a place through falkirk college and bp they would have told you the details if uv signed the dotted lines

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy S3
Original post by char84
Damilola you're going down a different route so the opito/ecitb scheme is nothing to do with what you're doing. If uv been offered a place through falkirk college and bp they would have told you the details if uv signed the dotted lines

my contract doesn't get here till next week! It wouldn't say what I need on my laptop anyway would it now? I'm just anxious! And I want to compare my allowance with u opito/ecitb guys
my contract doesn't get here till next week! It wouldn't say what I need on my laptop anyway would it now? I'm just anxious! And I want to compare my allowance with u opito/ecitb guys

hey damilola

My friend is currently on year 1 of the course, and he doesn't need a laptop.

All college work is done either in class, or through studying notes Im sure, but as you know a laptop would help alot for those times when living up there.

I myself, if successful will definitely be getting a laptop to take up with me , but as for the CAD stuff...Nah i don't think you will - if anything they will provide you with a student licence for it :smile:

My friend is with Opito and im sure he said that in year 1 he gets about £550 a month allowance on top of all his food, accommodation etc. but I may be slightly out with the figure.

Good to see you got on the BP course
Dean
Reply 1396

I may be wrong, but as your route is directly through bp and a technical college i would suspect you would earn a bit more compared to opito/ecitb. Opito/ecitb are self funded so they are technically a third party and they take a slice of the cake for their involvement. You will have to wait and see damilola. Bp are the big player though, they pay the highest salaries, this may reflect in your apprentice earnings. And my understabding was with opito/ecitb you earn about £85per week

Original post by Dean_Reid
hey damilola

My friend is currently on year 1 of the course, and he doesn't need a laptop.

All college work is done either in class, or through studying notes Im sure, but as you know a laptop would help alot for those times when living up there.

I myself, if successful will definitely be getting a laptop to take up with me , but as for the CAD stuff...Nah i don't think you will - if anything they will provide you with a student licence for it :smile:

My friend is with Opito and im sure he said that in year 1 he gets about £550 a month allowance on top of all his food, accommodation etc. but I may be slightly out with the figure.

Good to see you got on the BP course
Dean

Aww ok! i'll just get a regular laptop then, i was getting worried that i'd have to fork out like £600-700. Yeah i can't do without my laptop, i might have to watch tv on it :P

Oh that's crazy! On top of accommodation and food? ah well... i'm not getting that much :frown:

Good luck with OPITO :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by char84
I may be wrong, but as your route is directly through bp and a technical college i would suspect you would earn a bit more compared to opito/ecitb. Opito/ecitb are self funded so they are technically a third party and they take a slice of the cake for their involvement. You will have to wait and see damilola. Bp are the big player though, they pay the highest salaries, this may reflect in your apprentice earnings. And my understabding was with opito/ecitb you earn about £85per week

Yeah i guess i just have to be patient, but i'm still so anxious! i sure hope it reflects, that can't be a bad thing :biggrin: Mmn ok, i have 2 different answers about the wages now.. meh
Aww ok! i'll just get a regular laptop then, i was getting worried that i'd have to fork out like £600-700. Yeah i can't do without my laptop, i might have to watch tv on it :P

Oh that's crazy! On top of accommodation and food? ah well... i'm not getting that much :frown:

Good luck with OPITO :smile:

Since making last post I talked to my friend on the course.

My mistake sorry.. 1st year apprentices get around £350 this year (moves up to 370 he thinks for 1st years next year) then in 2nd year he moves up to 400 and something per month :wink:

Sorry about being so far out, what college will you be going to do you think>

Dean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending