The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Hows it going lads? First time posting here I got my second interview with Wood Group PSN on the 8th in Aberdeen. Anyone going to be there?
Reply 1581
Original post by Keezo
No worries mate.
Well a positive drugs test will certinly rule you out, i actually failed because of a hospital visit with a random collapsed lung lol, they failed me incase it happend again (e.g offshore where theres limited medical equipemt i assume), but i went for corrective surgery over xmas and passed the medical this year.
So yes there are a few things that may rule you out like previous medical conditions etc but i also have mild asthma so just brought my inhalor with me and it was all good!
im not sure about being under/over weight, i would rekon it will come down to your bmi when they weigh and measure you, not 100% on that one though mate but i would think there pretty leanient it :smile:
I do know that eyesight isnt really a problem, if you wear glasses just bring them with you and your prescription (if you need one? i dont wear them so unsure lol) so the Doc can see them. I also know colour blindness isnt too much of a problem but i believe this rules you out for the electrical discipline (a mate went through it a few years back - wheather that is still the case or not im unsure though!)

Hope this helps bud!

Alright bud, out of curiosity what discipline does your mate study that's colour blind?
Reply 1582
Anyone still not heard back from their first interview with OPITO? Anyone contacted them?
Reply 1583
Original post by dakl
Alright bud, out of curiosity what discipline does your mate study that's colour blind?

His first choice was electrical but he did mechanical instead. He finished his apprenticeship with opito about 2 years ago though so things may have changed since he was accepted bud
Reply 1584
Original post by Keezo
His first choice was electrical but he did mechanical instead. He finished his apprenticeship with opito about 2 years ago though so things may have changed since he was accepted bud

Good stuff. Thanks man. I'm colourblind so I know electrical and instrumentation are a no no. Mechanical as far as I know is fine and process I've not really been given an answer. Cuts my chances down of securing a place by a fair way!
Reply 1585
Original post by xperty
Anyone still not heard back from their first interview with OPITO? Anyone contacted them?

I'm still waiting on a response.
I had my interview on the 12th of July and I have emailed them about but haven't had a response so far and everyday that goes by and I hear nothing I lose a little hope.

I'm from the south of England so I'm not sure if that affects their decision or not.
Reply 1586
I still haven't heard back but I called Maureen Hunter this morning and it said she was out of the office until tomorrow so will just have to try again then. And I'm in the East of England but I don't think your current location factors into whether you get a place, only where you get sent. Really hope I get into instrumentation in Edinburgh though :-/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1587
Original post by McFlame
I'm still waiting on a response.
I had my interview on the 12th of July and I have emailed them about but haven't had a response so far and everyday that goes by and I hear nothing I lose a little hope.

I'm from the south of England so I'm not sure if that affects their decision or not.

Your best bet is to give Maureen a ring. I know first hand that I'm much more likely to speak to someone if they ring me (or vice versa) rather than via email - emailing is lazy in my opinion.

As for medical tests mentioned further up. I'm underweight and have a very low BMI (in other words I'm just a lanky piece of **** :biggrin:), but that won't affect your chances of being accepted unless it would be impractical due to medical reasons (such as certain conditions that can cause high/low BMI). I'm also slightly red-green colour blind, and failed the first colour-blindness test, but passed the second one I was tested on - no problem. I'm also short-sighted (astigmatism actually), but this is corrected through glasses so it causes no issue either.

You will fail on the results of the drugs screening, and possibly on medical history - it's all about risk at the end of the day, and they want the minimum risk possible!

Second last week at work, already counting down the days! Really hoping to find out where I'll be headed (either Edinburgh or Aberdeen) soon though!!
Reply 1588
Thanks everyone for the information in the medical, should be a breeze. Out of interest, what is the age range of those been accepted? I just turned 17 in march.
I'll be 17 on the 1st September.
Reply 1590
Original post by Andy T-Boi
I'll be 17 on the 1st September.

What did you put as your first choice bud?
Original post by Ryann
What did you put as your first choice bud?

I put mechanical although I'll be happy with whatever discipline they give me. What about you mate?
Original post by Ryann
Thanks everyone for the information in the medical, should be a breeze. Out of interest, what is the age range of those been accepted? I just turned 17 in march.

There is quite a big age range here, some people i reckon will be in their early thirties at the oldest - Im 16, 17 in September, so we are part of the younger group :P
Reply 1593
Original post by Andy T-Boi
I put mechanical although I'll be happy with whatever discipline they give me. What about you mate?

I put instrument and control as my first but would be happy with any as well.

Original post by Jackerius
There is quite a big age range here, some people i reckon will be in their early thirties at the oldest - Im 16, 17 in September, so we are part of the younger group :P

yeah it would seem we are, what did you put as your first choice?
Reply 1594

I'll be 21 come the latter part of November, so probably one of the older, if not by much. :wink:
Reply 1595
Anyone from east of England applied for instrumentation as first choice?

Reply 1596
Original post by Anna1304
Anyone from east of England applied for instrumentation as first choice?

Yup, Norwich right here.

Well, I either had Instrument or Process as primary choice, I can't actually remember!
Original post by Ryann
I put instrument and control as my first but would be happy with any as well.

yeah it would seem we are, what did you put as your first choice?

Instrument was my first and Process is my second. Looks like we might be at the same place?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1598
Instrument was my first and Process is my second. Looks like we might be at the same place?

Yeah man hopefully. Wherever I get put I'm gonna be staying in the accommodation offered, are you?
Original post by Ryann
Yeah man hopefully. Wherever I get put I'm gonna be staying in the accommodation offered, are you?

Yeah for sure, my brother did this a few years ago and he stayed in a BnB, but ill take wherever, be it dorms or whatever, its paid for so ill take it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending