The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary Skill Based Test... which book do you guys recommend

I got a B for GCSE Maths and English but haven’t studied these subjects in a long time. Which book should I purchase to improve these skills for the numeracy and literacy test.
Honestly? None. The tests are really not that difficult - much more basics as opposed to being GCSE level stuff! There's practice tests online and paper ones you can download, so personally, I'd give those a go, identify any areas of weakness, then brush up on those areas as needed.

For example, the numeracy test will have things on stats... so if you've forgotten how to work out percentages, or how to read a box and whisker diagram, or what the mode/median/mean are... have a quick google.

If you've not already found them, practice tests & specifications are here: http://sta.education.gov.uk/professional-skills-tests/numeracy-skills-tests
(There's a page for the literacy test too)

Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for reliving me. I read horror stories about people failing them even though the practice tests don’t look that difficult. Did u pass first time?
Original post by sophia5892
Honestly? None. The tests are really not that difficult - much more basics as opposed to being GCSE level stuff! There's practice tests online and paper ones you can download, so personally, I'd give those a go, identify any areas of weakness, then brush up on those areas as needed.

For example, the numeracy test will have things on stats... so if you've forgotten how to work out percentages, or how to read a box and whisker diagram, or what the mode/median/mean are... have a quick google.

If you've not already found them, practice tests & specifications are here: http://sta.education.gov.uk/professional-skills-tests/numeracy-skills-tests
(There's a page for the literacy test too)

Good luck!
Original post by Mickey976
Thank you so much for reliving me. I read horror stories about people failing them even though the practice tests don’t look that difficult. Did u pass first time?

I did, luckily!

I think more people struggle with the numeracy one, but maths was always my strength in school. I can see why the numeracy trips people up because if you’ve not done any stats based stuff through uni/work then it is the kind of stuff you’re not going to have used day to day and will probably have forgotten!

But I think if you’re naturally pretty good at maths, then a quick google to refresh your memory and doing the practice tests should be enough. I’d say the practice tests are pretty representative :smile:

I don’t remember so much about what the literacy test was like though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending