The Student Room Group

Coleraine Primary teaching PGCE

Hi folks, I would really appreciate some of your time in letting me know what the PGCE course in Coleraine is like. What does it entail, how you found the course and the area, any advise etc. If this has already been answered please could you direct me to the forum? I have a 2.2 in Public relations and communications as well as a distinction in level5 childcare. I have been a nanny for over ten years in many countries so I am strongly considering a career in teaching and would love any insight you can offer. Thank you so much in advance.
It is one of the most hardest years! You have to be willing to sacrifice your life, and devote ALL your time to the course!

Also, the course director only accepts curriculum based degrees (english, history, sports etc.). You would not get into Coleraine with a Public Relations degree.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi there, I understand the work that is involved, hence my questions over 17months in advance. I don't know anyone that would apply for such a highly rated post grad and not plan to work hard and make some sacrifices along the way for a career you dream of.
Also I'm slightly confused, are you a student, a teacher, head of course? I was told by the college already that I could apply with my degree, strange they would say that if they were not going to even accept my preliminary application?

Thanks
Original post by helloteacher
It is one of the most hardest years! You have to be willing to sacrifice your life, and devote ALL your time to the course!

Also, the course director only accepts curriculum based degrees (english, history, sports etc.). You would not get into Coleraine with a Public Relations degree.
Well thats brilliant if you have been told otherwise about your degree! But I know that the tutors expressed that they only take curriculum based subjects, because they transcribe towards the primary and secondary curriculum giving newly qualified teachers a broader chance at employment post degree. Lawyers, physiologists, sociologists, business studies, travel and tourism degrees etc. are not accepted unto the course.

In regards to the course, its 19 weeks on placement, 19 weeks in university. The teaching time in university is broke down into Key Stages. You have a block of teaching in university, then a placement. This repeats itself for all the key stages.
Original post by Shanna08
Hi there, I understand the work that is involved, hence my questions over 17months in advance. I don't know anyone that would apply for such a highly rated post grad and not plan to work hard and make some sacrifices along the way for a career you dream of.
Also I'm slightly confused, are you a student, a teacher, head of course? I was told by the college already that I could apply with my degree, strange they would say that if they were not going to even accept my preliminary application?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending