The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Alaric
To be honest I only know two people who were pooled, one volunteered the information and I'd met the other at interview. I just don't see why people would need to ask, it seems entirely irrelevant!

Alaric.

It bugs me now a bit more than before, I'd like to know what would have happened had I applied somewhere else. Would I still have ended up here, been rejected entirely or just be at another college?
I can honnestly say there is only one college I'd rather be than here though; Selwyn! The whole girl things really doesn't seem to make a difference, I missed male company at first but now made friends elsewhere. I've only come across a few scary people here, and really not that many lesbians, choosing a college based on sexuality seems a bit odd anyway, no matter where you apply! I think being here has meant I spend more time out of college, which I reckon in any place is a good thing. Overall quite liking Newnham! :smile:
Just out of interest really, did those people sticking up for Newnham (any supporters of New Hall out there btw?) go to mixed or to single sex schools?

It's just that the main reason I didn't really consider applying to either of the girls' colleges was my background in single sex education. It's been valuable, but I'm not keen to willingly submit to more of the same!

I do realise though, that it's not quite the same thing. And that being a student at Newnham or New Hall does not automatically make one a lesbian! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Golden_Touch
Just out of interest really, did those people sticking up for Newnham (any supporters of New Hall out there btw?) go to mixed or to single sex schools?

It's just that the main reason I didn't really consider applying to either of the girls' colleges was my background in single sex education. It's been valuable, but I'm not keen to willingly submit to more of the same!

I do realise though, that it's not quite the same thing. And that being a student at Newnham or New Hall does not automatically make one a lesbian! :biggrin:

It certainly does not! :wink:

I've always been in mixed comp education so couldn't really see too bad a side of living in a single sex environment because I know already how to react to men and all that (not really explaining myself well here am I?!) I simply mean that I know I don't have to live next door to guys to know I'll have guy friends. The people I've spoken to who had doubts about accepting their offers all seem to come from single sex schools, maybe they had bad experiences to put them off??
I don't see college as the main social basis of my life, I sleep here, eat here and have some really good friends here but I spend more time out of college! But even if I didn't it's not like I'd never meet blokes, they wander round quite freely and use our bar more than the people here! I think it took me a good few days before I noticed how I was yet to make friends with any boys, the fact I didn't notice speaks volumes I think having come from a mixed environment! It's really not a big deal when you're here, hardly think about it/notice until other people bring it up!
Reply 43
BazTheMoney
Out of interest, where is Sidney?

*does a double take* it's other name is sidney sainsburys.....

alaric- yes it was a good night, they were very nice to me too! i think the girton boys drinking soc and the girls drinking soc from magdalene were there, on the big table opposite us. was a fun night. my feet haven't recovered yet however.

i did however have formal last night....red wine this time...pennying
priya
*does a double take* it's other name is sidney sainsburys.....

alaric- yes it was a good night, they were very nice to me too! i think the girton boys drinking soc and the girls drinking soc from magdalene were there, on the big table opposite us. was a fun night. my feet haven't recovered yet however.

How's the head this morning then?
Reply 45
priya

Gah! Elementary mistake! Always, always take white wine if it's going to be pennied. Or rose. Never, ever red.

And never drink tequila without salt and lemon. It mings.
Reply 46
i cant believe you made the mistake of even trying neat tequila!
Helenia
Gah! Elementary mistake! Always, always take white wine if it's going to be pennied. Or rose. Never, ever red.

And never drink tequila without salt and lemon. It mings.

For some reason red doesn't seem to affect me that much... mind you, if it's a good red I instantly become a conscientious objector :smile:
Reply 48
Willa

There's no other way to drink it! No mixing! Unfortunately they'd poured it for me by the time they told me they didn't have salt and lemon. So we just had to knock it straight back. Ming.

MNS - I like red wine, but never for downing. Hence I never drink it at formal :redface:
Reply 49
Willa

Are you kidding? It's much better than neat vodka. I once got very very drunk playing some form of drinking scrabble (or something equally implausible) with neat tequila. By the time one of my friends had passed out from the alcohol I'd decided I really like tequila and was drinking it out the bottle. I then stayed up till about half 5 complaining at how **** life is with a mate. I think I made my second lecture the next day (still drunk though!).

Whisky still wins though but tequila really isn't bad, similar kind of level to neat gin.

I so love not having lectures on Saturdays :smile: I got up at about 11 to take some ibuprofen and have been dosing ever since.

A.
Reply 50
Helenia

i personally recommend reds. the darker, the better - double pennies anyone? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
KHL
i personally recommend reds. the darker, the better - double pennies anyone? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hehehehe, evil :biggrin:
Reply 52
Alaric
I think there's a lot more stereotyping around subjects than colleges anyway.

And I'm a compsci, so evidently in terms of stereotypes I'm the lowest of the low (I am but that's beside the point), with no social skills, bad hygiene, no real life friends etc.

Alaric.

Out of interest, it would be good to see what you people think the subject stereotypes are!

Surely the compsci one isn't THAT bad Alaric? :eek:
Adhsur
Out of interest, it would be good to see what you people think the subject stereotypes are!

Land economy - skive
Veterinary medicine - suave, good-looking, sophisticated, intelligent.... :cool:
Reply 54
platinumki

Veterinary medicine - suave, good-looking, sophisticated, intelligent.... :cool:

I smell bias.
The arts subjects all seem to be viewed as skives by the scientists...

According to the stereotypes I've come across:

Compscis are supposedly socially inept computer geeks with very pale skin due to never seeing the sun (sometimes this is true but I'm sure Alaric isn't one of those:wink:). Mathmos are supposed to be weird and scarily clever but ESPECIALLY if they're Trinity mathmos. NatScis are ever so slightly less socially inept non-computer geeks with similarly coloured skin, and engineers... I don't know if there is a stereotype for engineers. All of ours are nuts!
Reply 56
MadNatSci
How's the head this morning then?

surprisingly fine! and ella was worse than me and she's fine!

for those of who don't know, i think i was chatting to nicky in the bar for a bit whilst being reeeeallly drunk. i have her surname though, think thats what i was asking u for?
Reply 57
SPS is supposedly the really skivey subject. :biggrin: Perfect for me! Lots of lie ins while you lot trudge off to lectures :biggrin:
Reply 58
MadNatSci
Compscis are supposedly socially inept computer geeks with very pale skin due to never seeing the sun (sometimes this is true but I'm sure Alaric isn't one of those:wink:). Mathmos are supposed to be weird and scarily clever but ESPECIALLY if they're Trinity mathmos. NatScis are ever so slightly less socially inept non-computer geeks with similarly coloured skin, and engineers... I don't know if there is a stereotype for engineers. All of ours are nuts!

Natscis are supposed to be fairly socially inept but there's just so damn many of them that some of them have to be cool (most of my friends are Natscis). However, they are secretly all wannabe medics, though some of them don't appreciate the suggestion :wink:

Medics of course are viewed as slightly bizarre (cos we cut up dead people) but generally cool. Well known for the WH,PH thing (needs abbreviating :tongue:)
priya
surprisingly fine! and ella was worse than me and she's fine!

for those of who don't know, i think i was chatting to nicky in the bar for a bit whilst being reeeeallly drunk. i have her surname though, think thats what i was asking u for?

Yeah :biggrin:

Oh and instructing me to book into formal in two weeks' time:wink: (it will be done: I get tickets free through choir, hehehe)

Latest

Trending

Trending