The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In summary: no. For most courses and most unis you have the predicted grades and your personal statement isn't awful, you're in. The course you're looking at isn't known for being particularly competitive either.

Unis tend to punch above their weight in terms of entry requirements, because people think high offers = more prestige and you should totally firm them because they're an aspirational choice. Not true. When the time comes, you firm the university you want to go to more. Simple as that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
As you have pointed out if you're over the threshold it barely dents your income or livelihood. It's more like a small tax. The whole fear of struggling with £50,000 worth of loans is completely unfounded as the government won't charge you what you can't afford. The UK Government is extremely nice in comparison to other countries. I think their concern might be struggling to afford living at university as they may have to move to Cardiff unless they plan to commute. as their parents get paid too much so they get a smaller maintenance loan than others.
Original post by kurro
Olchfa's a pretty nice area, I used to live 2 mins away a few years ago lol
But I think they also take into consideration where you actually live too.

About the loans: (if you are confused about how much you get)
Tuition fees is around £9000-9250 per year (forgot which but £9250 is the max) and we all get loans for that so your parents won't have to pay. You will just have to pay that back once you get a job more than £25k per year. You won't see this money, it will go straight to the uni you just need to apply for this stuff next February/March. But a few years back the Welsh government paid about half I think but now that's not the case for us :/

But for the grants/maintenance loans, if they don't change the rules again then everyone can get £9k in total each year to help pay for accommodation, food, etc (£3k will be given to us each term so we don't overspend) The grant and the maintenance loan together make up the £9k, but depending on your parents income you will get a certain amount to keep for free and you don't have to pay that back (that is the grant), the rest is the maintenance loan which makes up the rest of the £9k which you will have to pay back once you get a job earning more than £25k per year. (At least I think it is 25k, might be 23/24 sorry can't remember haha)

Yes this will make us in huge debt, but we will somehow have to manage.

I found this from the student loan repayment website:
For example, if you are paid monthly and earn £2,400 before tax per month you would repay 9% of the difference between what you earn and what the threshold is:

£2,400 - £2,143 = £257

9% of £257 = £28

So your monthly student loan repayment would be £23.

Hopefully, this makes sense. Not good at explanations :/
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, I agree, the government is pretty nice.

''as their parents get paid too much so they get a smaller maintenance loan than others.''
But the OP will still get £9k each year for the grant and maintenance loan regardless of their parent's income. My friends dad gets over £60k per year and he can still get the grant, yes it will be really small compared to others (he will get £1k that is the minimum grant everyone will get if they apply) but his maintenance loan will be £8k, you also have the option not to take the loan which is what my friend is doing and he still gets the 1k for free (as he is staying in Swansea). Unless the Welsh government changes the rules again, he/she will have the same amount as me.

Although this website is 2018/2019 it shoudbe similar, find the very last table:

https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/undergraduate-students/new-students/new-full-time-students-starting-a-course-in-201819.aspx

Original post by Themysticalegg
As you have pointed out if you're over the threshold it barely dents your income or livelihood. It's more like a small tax. The whole fear of struggling with £50,000 worth of loans is completely unfounded as the government won't charge you what you can't afford. The UK Government is extremely nice in comparison to other countries. I think their concern might be struggling to afford living at university as they may have to move to Cardiff unless they plan to commute. as their parents get paid too much so they get a smaller maintenance loan than others.
(edited 4 years ago)
OH GOD YOU JUST REMINDED ME THE WELSH GOVERNMENT HAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RULES. Ignore everything I said, you are governed by Student Finance Wales. You guys are lucky in my opinion for university, prescriptions and dentist. :biggrin:
Original post by kurro
Yeah, I agree, the government is pretty nice.

''as their parents get paid too much so they get a smaller maintenance loan than others.''
But the OP will still get £9k each year for the grant and maintenance loan regardless of their parent's income. My friends dad gets over £60k per year and he can still get the grant, yes it will be really small compared to others (he will get £1k that is the minimum grant everyone will get if they apply) but his maintenance loan will be £8k, you also have the option not to take the loan which is what my friend is doing and he still gets the 1k for free (as he is staying in Swansea). Unless the Welsh government changes the rules again, he/she will have the same amount as me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ah that is why ahhahahah
rlly? I thought people in England also had similar loans/grants, but more if you are in London
OH GOD YOU JUST REMINDED ME THE WELSH GOVERNMENT HAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RULES. You guys are lucky in my opinion. :biggrin:
The rules for both England and Wales are both different to what they used to be I think. I was the final year to have the ability to get a maintenance grant (low income family) + loan. Another difference is one of my Welsh mates pays £3000 a year for his tuition fees not £9000. (This was always a point which made me salty. :laugh: ) However from what you've said Welsh people also pay £9000 for tuition fees now? :biggrin:
Original post by kurro
Ah that is why ahhahahah
rlly? I thought people in England also had similar loans/grants, but more if you are in London
I can feel your satisfaction and happiness through the screen :rolleyes:
The rules for both England and Wales are both different to what they used to be I think. I was the final year to have the ability to get a maintenance grant (low income family) + loan. Another difference is one of my Welsh mates pays £3000 a year for his tuition fees not £9000. (This was always a point which made me salty. :laugh: ) However from what you've said Welsh people also pay £9000 for tuition fees now? :biggrin:
:rofl:
Original post by kurro
I can feel your satisfaction and happiness through the screen :rolleyes:
It's not very difficult to get into tbh, they are so lenient with grades, I got in and I missed mine by quite a few and I think in UCAS points I was about 30 away from my offer soooooo, yeah, not that hard.
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but no not at all is Cardiff difficult to get into.

I know this because I am a student there and I got in via the most ridiculous way possible...

Rang up the day before first day of classes, said I got A*AB and got onto one of the more competitive courses... So if you are going for one of the lesser competitive ones, you can practically ignore entry requirements it seems.
Hi there, given covid do you think this has remained the same, got worse or better for prospective students applying for 2021 join?
Reply 31
I know that this is an old thread but would you consider English and history to be competitive courses?
Reply 32
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but no not at all is Cardiff difficult to get into.

I know this because I am a student there and I got in via the most ridiculous way possible...

Rang up the day before first day of classes, said I got A*AB and got onto one of the more competitive courses... So if you are going for one of the lesser competitive ones, you can practically ignore entry requirements it seems.

I know that this comment is a year old but would you consider English and history to be competitive courses?
Original post by Ceza
I know that this is an old thread but would you consider English and history to be competitive courses?

Original post by Ceza
I know that this comment is a year old but would you consider English and history to be competitive courses?

Please don't bump old threads. Make a new thread instead. Also in general humanities courses tend to be somewhat undersubscribed.

Latest

Trending

Trending