The Student Room Group

Unclassified honours or designated/ordinary degree - which has better prospects?

Due to issues with my health I won't be able to complete my final year of study and resitting is not an option as after this year I will have passed the amount of time allowed for completion of the degree. My grades are good overall, and I'm currently sitting at a 2:1.

I've been given two options, to graduate with an Unclassified Honours degree or to graduate with a Designated/Ordinary degree (with distinction thus indicating that my grades/performance has been pretty good).

I'm aware that neither of these options are great.. but I'm really stuck with which to go for. Due to my health issues I'm unsure of what path I will take after graduation, once my health has improved I am open to both post-graduate study or applying straight to jobs.

As far as I'm aware, most post-grad courses require honours which would suggest to go with the unclassified honours degree. However, which degree would be more attractive to employers?

I'm really unsure so any advice/opinions would be much, much appreciated!!
I'm really sorry you're in this position. You will have certification and evidence of your issues and why you have ended up with this classification yes? How employers will see it is really dependent on what you want to do. It may be that some will not look at your application (bigger companies with more automated recruitment processes that just look at final classification) but with persistence you will get somewhere and then can work your way up without looking back. Unis may be more open to offering you postgrad study which will help with applying for jobs. I'd say an honours degree even if unclassified is better than an ordinary one.
Original post by halophyte
Due to issues with my health I won't be able to complete my final year of study and resitting is not an option as after this year I will have passed the amount of time allowed for completion of the degree. My grades are good overall, and I'm currently sitting at a 2:1.

I've been given two options, to graduate with an Unclassified Honours degree or to graduate with a Designated/Ordinary degree (with distinction thus indicating that my grades/performance has been pretty good).

I'm aware that neither of these options are great.. but I'm really stuck with which to go for. Due to my health issues I'm unsure of what path I will take after graduation, once my health has improved I am open to both post-graduate study or applying straight to jobs.

As far as I'm aware, most post-grad courses require honours which would suggest to go with the unclassified honours degree. However, which degree would be more attractive to employers?

Original post by halophyte

Employers will usually understand (or look up and then understand!) an aegrotat degree. That is what is usually awarded when health issues have precluded proper completion of a degree.

Have your University used that term for one or other of your options, because if so, I'd take that one. Otherwise, or if both are considered aegrotat, I'd take the BA (Hons) (Aegrotat) option.

Keep your transcript carefully as you may have to show your 2.1 potential/detailed grades.
I think you need to consider that not all employers will care at all about an applicant's degree
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
when applying for masters with an aegrotat degree: how is it done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending