The Student Room Group

stuck in career

hi guys, I'm also very stuck in a career I hate. I want a meaningful career that I can thrive in. I'm upset because all my life I wanted to aim high and become a doctor and studied hard subjects buy my teachers were not great and I struggled to get grades. I've worked solo hard buy it seems it was for nothing.

I'm still on a job that I could have got without a degree.i studied psychology at university. I'm in mid 20s and thinking go back to uni and study radiography or nursing but it me and I won't be earning. I'm also a Muslim girl and this makes me worry big time that the late I sort my career out the later I'm gonna get married. it's scary to start a new career and start from bottom again. I'm so unsure and cannot seem to make any steps forward.

I also think about going to agency and look for permanent positions in private sector but not sure which kind of career I could go into with psychology and be able to work way up. I'm just so embarrassed because alot people I know are seniors in their careers yet I will be going backwards.
Original post by minjas
hi guys, I'm also very stuck in a career I hate. I want a meaningful career that I can thrive in. I'm upset because all my life I wanted to aim high and become a doctor and studied hard subjects buy my teachers were not great and I struggled to get grades. I've worked solo hard buy it seems it was for nothing.

I'm still on a job that I could have got without a degree.i studied psychology at university. I'm in mid 20s and thinking go back to uni and study radiography or nursing but it me and I won't be earning. I'm also a Muslim girl and this makes me worry big time that the late I sort my career out the later I'm gonna get married. it's scary to start a new career and start from bottom again. I'm so unsure and cannot seem to make any steps forward.

I also think about going to agency and look for permanent positions in private sector but not sure which kind of career I could go into with psychology and be able to work way up. I'm just so embarrassed because alot people I know are seniors in their careers yet I will be going backwards.

Personally I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about - you're only in your 20s, and plenty of people start over way later than that, yet still have thriving careers down the line! It's okay not to take a straight route through your career, and all the more so if you're not enjoying your current role.

Do you enjoy psychology, and do you think you would enjoy a career in that? If so, there might be some options here that would be suited to you: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/psychology

It's scary to start over, but I'm fully of the belief that short term scary for long term enjoyment is better than the alternative.
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Personally I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about - you're only in your 20s, and plenty of people start over way later than that, yet still have thriving careers down the line! It's okay not to take a straight route through your career, and all the more so if you're not enjoying your current role.

Do you enjoy psychology, and do you think you would enjoy a career in that? If so, there might be some options here that would be suited to you: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/psychology

It's scary to start over, but I'm fully of the belief that short term scary for long term enjoyment is better caw2than the alternative.

nope o only did psychology for sake of study I g a so.ewhat science degree to be a science teaching and I chose it last minute through clearing.

I actually wanted to do radiography but didn't get in due to no work experience but I had the grades. I really wanted a health career or to be in some grad scheme.
Original post by minjas
nope o only did psychology for sake of study I g a so.ewhat science degree to be a science teaching and I chose it last minute through clearing.

I actually wanted to do radiography but didn't get in due to no work experience but I had the grades. I really wanted a health career or to be in some grad scheme.

Do you have work experience around radiography now? If not, maybe it would be worth picking up some voluntary work around your usual job, and then reapplying to that if that's where your passion is?
Reply 4
Do you have work experience around radiography now? If not, maybe it would be worth picking up some voluntary work around your usual job, and then reapplying to that if that's where your passion is?

yea my worry is also if I go back univeristy I will need to find another job around .my studies which is harder than finding full time
Original post by minjas
yea my worry is also if I go back univeristy I will need to find another job around .my studies which is harder than finding full time

That's unfortunately to be the case, yeah - perhaps you could look at available roles that you may be able to fit around potential study before you commit to anything?
Reply 6
That's unfortunately to be the case, yeah - perhaps you could look at available roles that you may be able to fit around potential study before you commit to anything?

also when I went uni the fees were low and the courses in health were free, so the debt is going to stress me out
Original post by minjas
also when I went uni the fees were low and the courses in health were free, so the debt is going to stress me out

Are there any other routes into the career that you could take, if the fees are too off-putting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending