The Student Room Group

2.2, What happens to Grad job offers?

Hi

Got my final year results in, calculated my overall grade - 2.2, was shy by .8%... it is what it is.

As it stands I have 2 standing offers from Grad schemes at good companies.

Both, in the initial application, asked me to signify what degree grade I was expecting etc.....

Just checked the working of the application on one, and it says this requirement: 2.1 (or equivalent) degree (achieved or predicted). Preference for a technical/digital related degree

Interestingly, in the contract I signed for both of them, nowhere at all did it say anything about what degree grade I needed/had to obtain.

My question is, though I suspect I know the answer.....

Can I get away with it? I don’t want to reach out to them and ask, that’s just poking the bear. Lying about it is not on the table, but the wording of the ‘requirement’ suggests that as long as I was predicted a 2.1 (which I was), that’s all that was necessary.

The fact it was in neither contract makes me slightly hopeful.

Any advice appreciated
I know you've indicated that you do not wish to 'poke the bear' but I personally would reach out and ask them. If you've signed a contract and you were chosen for the Scheme in the first place, I cannot see them tearing up the contract you have with them because you had a 2:2. At the end of the day, you still have a degree and the chances are you're correct, you were predicated a 2:1 and that seems to be enough. Are they asking for your certificate before you start?
Original post by TheBecksta
I know you've indicated that you do not wish to 'poke the bear' but I personally would reach out and ask them. If you've signed a contract and you were chosen for the Scheme in the first place, I cannot see them tearing up the contract you have with them because you had a 2:2. At the end of the day, you still have a degree and the chances are you're correct, you were predicated a 2:1 and that seems to be enough. Are they asking for your certificate before you start?

Thanks for replying so quickly
This is my hope, that so far into the process now (offers were made in December) they would have made a deal out of it should it be so important. I note that looking at contracts that friends have been given, some firms clearly stipulate the requirement in the contract......

They haven’t indicated yet about when they want to see degree certificates, but they both start in Sept, so I have to believe it’ll be soon.

For one of them I have a summer meet and greet social this Friday, I can pose the question then?

Tearing me up inside wanting to know, but not wanting to know the answer if you catch my drift
Original post by brimstone131
Hi

Got my final year results in, calculated my overall grade - 2.2, was shy by .8%... it is what it is.

As it stands I have 2 standing offers from Grad schemes at good companies.

Both, in the initial application, asked me to signify what degree grade I was expecting etc.....

Just checked the working of the application on one, and it says this requirement: 2.1 (or equivalent) degree (achieved or predicted). Preference for a technical/digital related degree

Interestingly, in the contract I signed for both of them, nowhere at all did it say anything about what degree grade I needed/had to obtain.

My question is, though I suspect I know the answer.....

Can I get away with it? I don’t want to reach out to them and ask, that’s just poking the bear. Lying about it is not on the table, but the wording of the ‘requirement’ suggests that as long as I was predicted a 2.1 (which I was), that’s all that was necessary.

The fact it was in neither contract makes me slightly hopeful.

Any advice appreciated

Have to see the contract, but if as you say, then I wouldnt worry as it wasnt a condition.
Original post by 999tigger
Have to see the contract, but if as you say, then I wouldnt worry as it wasnt a condition.

Thanks, appreciate the reply

I note that there’s a clause in the contract stating ‘this agreement supersedes all previous discussions, correspondence, negotiations, arrangements and understandings and agreements between us’

Is this noteworthy do you think?
Thanks for replying so quickly
This is my hope, that so far into the process now (offers were made in December) they would have made a deal out of it should it be so important. I note that looking at contracts that friends have been given, some firms clearly stipulate the requirement in the contract......

They haven’t indicated yet about when they want to see degree certificates, but they both start in Sept, so I have to believe it’ll be soon.

For one of them I have a summer meet and greet social this Friday, I can pose the question then?

Tearing me up inside wanting to know, but not wanting to know the answer if you catch my drift

Have you signed your contract of employment or is the offer still conditional?

If it is bothering you I would definitely mention it to them because I HIGHLY doubt they will take back the offer, but if you decide not to and they ask to see your certificates I can't see it being a problem. They would not have given you the contract in the first place if it was riding on your results.

I note that there’s a clause in the contract stating ‘this agreement supersedes all previous discussions, correspondence, negotiations, arrangements and understandings and agreements between us’

I prefer to look at documents before saying what they mean.
There should be conditions in the offer letter, if not its an offer of employment and they know it.
The only things you cant have done is lie or other poor behaviour.
If they dont want you they can still bin you by service notice.
I would imagine this means that any agreement on pay, hours, location is superseded by the contract. You've not deceived them in any case, you were expected to get a 2:1 and they offered you the position. I really would not worry too much about it, I'm sure this happens all the time.

Original post by TheBecksta
Have you signed your contract of employment or is the offer still conditional?

If it is bothering you I would definitely mention it to them because I HIGHLY doubt they will take back the offer, but if you decide not to and they ask to see your certificates I can't see it being a problem. They would not have given you the contract in the first place if it was riding on your results.

Signed the contract of employment a few months ago yep

Okay, I’ll ask the question when I go this Friday... can’t hurt, and I suppose if it is bad news it’s better I find out now than 2 months down the track....

Thank you
See what you think..
Remaining pages are data protection, working time hours etc

Not what I want to be reading, but no I cant see anything. Im sure they must know what they are doing and go with the assessment centre, dont take my word for it though. The only other way you can mess up is the bit on verification details which have been explained to you. I assume thats right to work and id stuff? I think you are ok, but ask them as its not as though you can hide. Alternatively just show up.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Not what I want to be reading, but no I cant see anything. Im sure they must know what they are doing and go with the assessment centre, dont take my word for it though. The only other way you can mess up is the bit on verification details which have been explained to you. I assume thats right to work and id stuff? I think you are ok, but ask them as its not as though you can hide. Alternatively just show up.

Thank you, really appreciate someone else interpreting the situation

Cheers, will keep you guys posted
Thank you, really appreciate someone else interpreting the situation

Cheers, will keep you guys posted

Edit the contract out of your post and I will mine.
Original post by J-SP
Defo remove the contract from this post.... in fact maybe even get the whole thread deleted. Took me no time at all to work out who the employer was. Sharing that is of a far bigger issue than the 2.2

Thanks for the heads up.....

Strange, I thought it the pictures had been removed? Will double check.... want to keep the thread up for any more advice...
Contracts don't normally specify the grades you need. Are they asking you to give them your certificate or transcript? The requirement should really just be to get your foot at the door, but if they're asking for your papers then it's better to mention it.
Original post by Baron of Sealand
Contracts don't normally specify the grades you need. Are they asking you to give them your certificate or transcript? The requirement should really just be to get your foot at the door, but if they're asking for your papers then it's better to mention it.

Haven’t explicitly asked to see the transcript yet, but I have to believe that’s coming in the next couple of months

I know contracts don’t specify, but what I found odd was that in friend’s contracts they have had to sign, it was explicitly mentioned as to what grade they were required to meet... this is what was lacking in both of the contracts i had.... it just struck me as odd, that’s all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending