The Student Room Group

Celtic F.C

Scroll to see replies

What a half. Exitement, passion, atmosphere, brilliant technique, chances a plenty. This is why the Old Firm derby is the best game in the world.
In all seriousness thank **** for Scott Brown, the only bright spark on the pitch.
brapboybrap
I can't wait to see another 0-0 borefest from our countries two biggest clubs.

Surprise, surprise.
Reply 582
spoke too soon didnt you!
Darren O'dea. :top2: Unbelievable.

As much as I like to slag off Celtic their fans have outsung Rangers from the start.
Jim-ie

My predictions are done by bookies rules mate. :tongue:
Oh yes. Pity I was working, but I saw the whole thing.

First time we've beaten them in a final in my life, something to savour.

We outclassed them from the start and deserved to win. Kudos to the fans as well. We were better in every department.
I loved it when the lads in the pub started singing;

"The trebles over;go home!"

in the pub as the rangers fans where leaving!

:biggrin:
Reply 587
Jim-ie
If it makes any difference I know rangers fans who are scottish who support NI when Scotland arent playing or are knocked out.

Heh, you can add another one to that list. Scotland vs N. Ireland, it'll be Scotland all the way, otherwise I'll happily support both all the way (but then I have family connections to NI so it's not quite the same as random Gers fans doing it)

brapboybrap
Surprise, surprise.
Yeah...the quality of the game was utter crap (what the hell was with the pitch? With players falling over every other minute it looked even worse than the Celtic players mis-hitting their passes at St Mirren Park), but ultimately Celtic deserved their win. My dad's calling for Walter Smith's head on the end of a big, pointy stick. He just can't see why Smith constantly uses defensive formations and insists on fielding one up front, especially in cup games, and also why Smith refuses to field Boyd (our top scorer by quite some way) from the start of the match. He also wants Barry Ferguson to be sold (and I agree - watching the match, it was as if Ferguson should have just been handed a Celtic top, he did so much that benefited Celtic rather than Rangers (including one moment where he mis-hit a pass to Kenny Miller that went straight to a Celtic player, then intercepted a mis-hit Celtic pass by knocking it towards its intended target...all in the space of about 5 seconds))

Jim-ie
Not really, since the goals both came after 90 minutes. Go to any bookie in the country with a ticket saying the game was a draw and they'd pay out. If you wanted to argue the point, you should have mentioned that (because it's a cup final) there has to be a winner. Tough luck on that one :p:

And nice for me to pop into this thread without having to edit/remove any posts, even after such a big game. You're much more well-behaved than the Liverpool fans (and desperate Leeds fans) who decided to go trolling in the Man Utd soc after the 4-1 result on Saturday. Good going, bhoys (and I would say bears as well, but I'm the only Rangers fan to have posted here since the game) :smile:
Reply 588
Dalimyr
Heh, you can add another one to that list. Scotland vs N. Ireland, it'll be Scotland all the way, otherwise I'll happily support both all the way (but then I have family connections to NI so it's not quite the same as random Gers fans doing it)

Yeah...the quality of the game was utter crap (what the hell was with the pitch? With players falling over every other minute it looked even worse than the Celtic players mis-hitting their passes at St Mirren Park), but ultimately Celtic deserved their win. My dad's calling for Walter Smith's head on the end of a big, pointy stick. He just can't see why Smith constantly uses defensive formations and insists on fielding one up front, especially in cup games, and also why Smith refuses to field Boyd (our top scorer by quite some way) from the start of the match. He also wants Barry Ferguson to be sold (and I agree - watching the match, it was as if Ferguson should have just been handed a Celtic top, he did so much that benefited Celtic rather than Rangers (including one moment where he mis-hit a pass to Kenny Miller that went straight to a Celtic player, then intercepted a mis-hit Celtic pass by knocking it towards its intended target...all in the space of about 5 seconds))

Not really, since the goals both came after 90 minutes. Go to any bookie in the country with a ticket saying the game was a draw and they'd pay out. If you wanted to argue the point, you should have mentioned that (because it's a cup final) there has to be a winner. Tough luck on that one :p:

And nice for me to pop into this thread without having to edit/remove any posts, even after such a big game. You're much more well-behaved than the Liverpool fans (and desperate Leeds fans) who decided to go trolling in the Man Utd soc after the 4-1 result on Saturday. Good going, bhoys (and I would say bears as well, but I'm the only Rangers fan to have posted here since the game) :smile:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Why would you want rid of Barry Ferguson apart from after his performance today? One of your best players imo even if I dont like him.

Walter Smith thinks he can park the bus and get the goals, he can against the smaller teams but if he wants to take Celtic head on he's going to need two strikers to start with especially when Celtic have McGeady working as a makeshift striker when no one bothers their arse to get into the box or the donkey (samaras) misses for the 10th time. He was very lucky to get that far in the uefa cup last season by parking the bus, if he did it this season with the quality in the cup this season (including city!) he'd get a buggering from half of the teams.
Reply 589
Jim-ie
Why would you want rid of Barry Ferguson apart from after his performance today? One of your best players imo even if I dont like him.
He's overrated, and doesn't perform to the level that should be expected of the captain of one of the best teams in the country. I'd much rather that Rangers have a dedicated right winger and have Pedro Mendes and Steven Davis in central midfield, in a standard 4-4-2 formation, rather than this 4-1-4-1 rubbish with Davis on the wing when it's not his natural position and someone (thankfully Miller's semi-decent, as opposed to that donkey Darcheville who was playing most games last season) up front who isn't even our top scorer.

Walter Smith thinks he can park the bus and get the goals, he can against the smaller teams but if he wants to take Celtic head on he's going to need two strikers to start with especially when Celtic have McGeady working as a makeshift striker when no one bothers their arse to get into the box or the donkey (samaras) misses for the 10th time. He was very lucky to get that far in the uefa cup last season by parking the bus, if he did it this season with the quality in the cup this season (including city!) he'd get a buggering from half of the teams.
Sadly I completely agree...the thing I don't get is that Rangers are a strong side (at least on a national level, if not continental) and he still parks the bus, even against much weaker teams. He should be going out for a bloody win, not hanging back as if hoping for a draw. It's unbelievably pessimistic and completely different to what he was like in the 90s. It's like he doesn't want the team to win anything; I'm just waiting for the day when he decides that little Steven Davis or Aaron Niguez (all 5'7 of 'em) would be a better goalkeeper than Allan McGregor, his decision-making is that bloody bad.

And the substitutions in the game :s: After McCulloch came off, we didn't have a left winger on the field either (with both McCulloch and Lafferty having been subbed off)...so we had Davis (MC) on the right wing, and Novo (MR/FC) on the left wing :s: Honestly, what the **** was he thinking?

He could take some lessons from Strachan for subbing. Hartley barely got a touch of the ball and was replaced by Samaras...Lafferty was one of Rangers' strongest attacking threats and was replaced by Boyd (not that I'm complaining about Boyd getting on the field, but Lafferty was doing well and shouldn't have been taken off).

Sadly, the Gers are still in the manager doldrums, as far as I'm concerned. We'd probably be better off without a manager. Advocaat was crap, McLeish wasn't much better, Le Guen was diabolical (only the second manager in our history to not win a single title, after David White's spell from 1967 to 1969, when Celtic were at their best), and Smith just ain't the boss he used to be.
Reply 590
What do Rangers fans think about Lafferty? I reckon he's a decent player, he can only get better.

Maybe the old age is affecting Walters decisions :wink:
Reply 591
Dunno about fans in general but I quite like Lafferty, personally. Ditto for young John Fleck, who could have a very bright future ahead of him. I just hope we don't lose him like we did with Chris Burke, another talented youngster brought up from the youth system, who went to Cardiff for free in January :bawling: (and he was a ****ing right winger, too!)
Reply 592
Jim-ie

I was watching, it was a terrible game. Rangers were flailing around like a bunch of ********, Celtic didn't capitalise on anything until, obviously, extra time. I almost nodded off into my pint half way through. The highlight for me was Neil Lennon's little appearance.

Jim-ie
What do Rangers fans think about Lafferty? I reckon he's a decent player, he can only get better.

Maybe the old age is affecting Walters decisions :wink:

From the general rumblings in the pub, he's not generally approved of.
Reply 593
Had to laugh at super barry's attempt to get one back on the celtic team after what samo did to him. He tried the exact same to neil lennon, who just stood their like a rock, barely blinking an eye.

I thought the game was quite good at 70mins, and celtic deserved there win - should have won by more. I thought the ref was abit inconsistent at times aswell, but oh well. one trophy in the cabinet. I'm not complaining
Thought the game was quite entertaining myself, if it was more of a dogfight than a football match. Was a lot more open than recent derby matches but the final ball was dire. The pitch didn't help, mind- a disgrace that that's the National stadium, Murrayfield would have been in better condition 24 hours after a rugby match. I felt Celtic should have had the game in the 90mins, not that I would ever say otherwise, with Loovens' shot the chance sticking out.

Had to laugh at Captain Fantastic having a go at Lenny in the same way Sammy did to him. 2 things he should note- Celtic were ahead on both occasions and he was the only one to flinch. Thank God Murray backed him and not Le Guen after seeing the way he's turned things with PSG. He was the first to realise that Barry was a) not Fantastic and b) too much of an influence, but, as the Kris Boyd spat has shown this week, player power rules at Ibrox.

Was surprised at Laugherty and thought, while not worth the money paid for him, he put in a good shift. Still, £3m for him but no more than £250k for Skippy? Good one Walter.
Dalimyr
Dunno about fans in general but I quite like Lafferty, personally. Ditto for young John Fleck, who could have a very bright future ahead of him. I just hope we don't lose him like we did with Chris Burke, another talented youngster brought up from the youth system, who went to Cardiff for free in January :bawling: (and he was a ****ing right winger, too!)

Away! Chris Burke was a Celtic bhoy you pinched at 16 (at the same time we pinched Beattie:rolleyes: ) who was too lightweight for a pillow fight never mind a football match. Mind Aiden McGeady dislocated his shoulder by pulling his jersey?

As for John Fleck, he has Man Yoo written all over him.
Reply 596
Celtic_Anthony
As for John Fleck, he has Man Yoo written all over him.
Still a good thing for me :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jwjdX1RgBs&feature=related

A vid from yesterday that's quite entertaining, makes me wish I was there more than anything else. However, there's a rocket behind the camera, use of THE WORD and a Starry Plough flag visible, so feel free to delete if it offends mods.
Reply 598
Swearing and other questionable content in the vid is rare enough (and not the point of the video or the point of you posting it), so as much as I personally dislike it (:p:), it's fine by the rules.
Dalimyr
Swearing and other questionable content in the vid is rare enough (and not the point of the video or the point of you posting it), so as much as I personally dislike it (:p:), it's fine by the rules.

:top: I'm amazed you watched the vid actually, although I can guarantee that the thought of making a Rangers fan watch five minutes of Celtic fans celebrating hadn't crossed my mind when I put that disclaimer up.*

Didn't know you were a Man Yoo fan either- safe to say this wasn't your best weekend?**:tongue:

*Lies.
**Needlessly provocative and I'm off to bed so don't feel obliged to reply. Safe to say, you're a better loser than I am a winner:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest