The Student Room Group

PYA5 - another quick question, sorry!

It is high or low dopamine levels that have been associated with OCD??

I have notes saying there are elevated levels in OCD sufferers but this research is based on animals, and then I have notes saying the COMT gene has been found in nearly half OCD sufferers which terminates the production of dopamine :/

I know high dopamine has been associated with schizophrenia so don't worry I'm not getting confused between the two :smile:

Just confused! :frown:
Reply 2
i wouldn't know im ignoring anxiety disorders in a brave attempt to not have to pull an allnighter
Reply 3
its low serotonin, not dopamine - thats why ssris have been effective in their treatment xx
Reply 4
i thought that was depression
Reply 5
this is what i have for the bio -explanations

Rappoport suggests a genetic predisposition for fixed action patterns. These were useful for survival in the distant past.

The neurotransmitter serotonin is implicated. This controls mood and anxiety levels. High levels lead to anxiety. Drug treatment works for about 40% and are not long term, so it cannot be the only cause.

OCD is a fault in a part of the brain called the basal ganglia (motor movement) which are linked to the frontal lobes. In the frontal lobes, there is an area called the orbito-frontal cortex., the OFC is responsible for obsessive thinking. The basal ganglia is more active in OCD sufferers. More repetition from the OFC in the frontal lobes.

Brain surgery is sometimes used to cure OCD, a part of the brain called the caudate nucleus is removed. This reduces cognitive action, so removes the compulsion effect.
Reply 6
The_Goose
i thought that was depression

yup, they're normally used for depressives but OCD have benefitted from them too.

Also, there's a genetic link - some researcher removed a gene in rats and as a consequence they exhibited the symptoms of OCD... CAN'T REMEMBER WHO THOUGH...

Latest

Trending

Trending