The Student Room Group

Student finance payment recall

I have had my first payment recalled through and admin error which i think is SFE's. Now i cannot apply for student finance until SFE allegedly have this money back that actually no one seems to know where it is actually sitting. I haven't had it, my bank have no trace of it and SFE say they haven't had it yet. I have been given a time scale of roughly 8 weeks before I can start a new application and I sadly do not have enough resources to last that long. My landlord is breathing down my neck, I am on a ridiculous budget to make what little i do have last as long as possible and the whole situation is stressing me out to the point i am considering withdrawing from my course. Has anyone any experience of a recalled payment and give me some advice as to where it might be and how i can actually get a proper actionable answer from SFE? Thanks in advance
Original post by Charlietigs
I have had my first payment recalled through and admin error which i think is SFE's. Now i cannot apply for student finance until SFE allegedly have this money back that actually no one seems to know where it is actually sitting. I haven't had it, my bank have no trace of it and SFE say they haven't had it yet. I have been given a time scale of roughly 8 weeks before I can start a new application and I sadly do not have enough resources to last that long. My landlord is breathing down my neck, I am on a ridiculous budget to make what little i do have last as long as possible and the whole situation is stressing me out to the point i am considering withdrawing from my course. Has anyone any experience of a recalled payment and give me some advice as to where it might be and how i can actually get a proper actionable answer from SFE? Thanks in advance

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Sounds like a complete mess although its not explained how its happened.
If its uni accommodation tell them and they will likely wait.
You also have student hardship fund and your overdraft.
Make an official complaint you have no money.

If you withdraw its unlikely to help with LL as you will still be liable for the contract length, unless you find a replacement.
Ask on here the link above. 8 weeks in this situation seems very poor. Only the people who recalled it can tell you.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Sounds like a complete mess although its not explained how its happened.
If its uni accommodation tell them and they will likely wait.
You also have student hardship fund and your overdraft.
Make an official complaint you have no money.

If you withdraw its unlikely to help with LL as you will still be liable for the contract length, unless you find a replacement.
Ask on here the link above. 8 weeks in this situation seems very poor. Only the people who recalled it can tell you.

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check out the link when I have replied to you. I was hoping to hear from some fellow 'recall' people as i cannot get my head around an electronic reversal so to speak taking upto 8 weeks!
The error occured when I changed courses and called them to update my details before I enrolled. They didn't update them so when I did register some days later, my course didn't match what they had on their system. So i had called them again as i noticed nothing had changed and again instead of using the correct info I had given them, they somehow initiated payment, then realised and recalled it creating this infuriating limbo situation. So i cannot resubmit ANY application as the wrong one is still classed as live and showing as having paid me (i bloody wish) AS i mentioned above, no one seems to know where this 3k is floating around at.

I have applied to ALF, I begrudge getting into debt with an over draft (I am a post grad so no student bank acc) when I don't feel at fault but i might have to. I will certainly be complaining.

Sorry for the rant, but thank you for your reply. Hopefully my luck will change soon!
Sounds a right crap situation, and being told 8 weeks is taking the serious mick. Have they clearly admitted the mistake is theirs? that they have sent the money to the wrong place? Feels like they should be taking the hit as opposed to passing it onto you and further limiting your options to move ahead.

I bet they wouldn't see it this way if it was the other way around, if you paid money you owed them into a wrong account, they would still insist on being paid in full, on time and that whatever delay your bank took was your problem. :/
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds a right crap situation, and being told 8 weeks is taking the serious mick. Have they clearly admitted the mistake is theirs? that they have sent the money to the wrong place? Feels like they should be taking the hit as opposed to passing it onto you and further limiting your options to move ahead.

I bet they wouldn't see it this way if it was the other way around, if you paid money you owed them into a wrong account, they would still insist on being paid in full, on time and that whatever delay your bank took was your problem.

Hi there,

No, they haven't admitted liability, they are subtly blaming technology and the Uni for not updating something as well apparently.

Either way it is extremely exasperating and the loser is me. I am just about to make the same phone call i have been making EVERY morning to see if they have had the payment back yet from wherever it is meant to be coming from. My favourite time of day, I love hearing ...."computer says no" !

At least the phone calls are free!

Have posted on the student finance thread too at someones advice so hopefully that will be picked up by someone who genuinely wants to assist from SFE and not just move on to the next call as quickly as possible.
A BACS recall would be due to getting confirmation you weren’t attending a course, circumstances have changed or could be due to the wrong amount of money being submitted. The timescale is up to 8 weeks to return the money as it’s a timescale usually set by the bank and SFE have to give that timescale, it doesn’t always take that long. When the payment shows as failed on your payment schedule, the issue will be sorted or the application reassessed and then the payment will be submitted to you.

You said about calling SFE before you enrolled and advised you’re changing courses. I don’t know if you mean someone said they would update the details but that’s not the usual process as it would need to be a CO1 from you as long as confirmation of your registration/attendance from the university hasn’t been sent or it could have been changed by the university sending an electronic change of circumstance transfer over. Have your course details now been updated?
Reply 6
Original post by digitaljunki3
A BACS recall would be due to getting confirmation you weren’t attending a course, circumstances have changed or could be due to the wrong amount of money being submitted. The timescale is up to 8 weeks to return the money as it’s a timescale usually set by the bank and SFE have to give that timescale, it doesn’t always take that long. When the payment shows as failed on your payment schedule, the issue will be sorted or the application reassessed and then the payment will be submitted to you.

You said about calling SFE before you enrolled and advised you’re changing courses. I don’t know if you mean someone said they would update the details but that’s not the usual process as it would need to be a CO1 from you as long as confirmation of your registration/attendance from the university hasn’t been sent or it could have been changed by the university sending an electronic change of circumstance transfer over. Have your course details now been updated?

Hi, thanks for your response. I am still not 100% sure what has happened, I completed a change of course/circumstances form. The issue has come from them not closing the old account and accidentally initiating the payment for the wrong course which seems to have blocked the whole process. They have now drawn the conclusion that I have received the payment as they cannot find it so send me a recovery letter and are now wanting my bank statements to demonstrate i have nothing. It just seems such an arduous process given that things are electronic these days.
Original post by Charlietigs
Hi, thanks for your response. I am still not 100% sure what has happened, I completed a change of course/circumstances form. The issue has come from them not closing the old account and accidentally initiating the payment for the wrong course which seems to have blocked the whole process. They have now drawn the conclusion that I have received the payment as they cannot find it so send me a recovery letter and are now wanting my bank statements to demonstrate i have nothing. It just seems such an arduous process given that things are electronic these days.

I know you’re probably fed up going round in circles but I’d really call and demand they explain it fully or you speak to someone else who can explain it. If it’s a BACS recall then it’s just been recalled meaning you won’t need a bank statement to prove anything as the person from SFE will see a BACS recall indicator which will mean that they know you never received the payment so you don’t need to prove anything.

The only way you would need a bank statement is if your bank details are correct on your account and the payment shows as paid but you said you never got it then a bank statement shows you didn’t get it so SFE have to investigate where the payment went so what they call a trace memo would need to be completed to trace the payment.

When you changed course did you also change university?

See if it was just a change of course a recall wouldn’t have been necessary as it’s the university that would send the registration. If its another reason like payments not scheduled right or SFE think you have withdrawn then they can recall the payment.

Timescales for some things are just ridiculous, I do agree with your last point you’d think it would be a quick and straight forward process.
Reply 8
Original post by digitaljunki3
I know you’re probably fed up going round in circles but I’d really call and demand they explain it fully or you speak to someone else who can explain it. If it’s a BACS recall then it’s just been recalled meaning you won’t need a bank statement to prove anything as the person from SFE will see a BACS recall indicator which will mean that they know you never received the payment so you don’t need to prove anything.

The only way you would need a bank statement is if your bank details are correct on your account and the payment shows as paid but you said you never got it then a bank statement shows you didn’t get it so SFE have to investigate where the payment went so what they call a trace memo would need to be completed to trace the payment.

When you changed course did you also change university?

See if it was just a change of course a recall wouldn’t have been necessary as it’s the university that would send the registration. If its another reason like payments not scheduled right or SFE think you have withdrawn then they can recall the payment.

Timescales for some things are just ridiculous, I do agree with your last point you’d think it would be a quick and straight forward process.

I haven't changed university, and have duly sent off my bank statements. I get different responses from every time I call and it has literally being frustrating me to tears.

I am truly baffled. I have enlisted the Universitys help now and done a consent to share thing as they are also a bit flummoxed by the whole situation and am hoping that they might be taken a bit more seriously than I am. I do not understand how 3k can be floating around in cyber space that they cannot locate.

You seem to know your stuff, are you an ex SFE employee?
It’s been a while so not expecting a reply but this has just happened to me also what happened to you? My landlord not happy at all to wait the 8 weeks I’ve been told x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hannahbeecroft
It’s been a while so not expecting a reply but this has just happened to me also what happened to you? My landlord not happy at all to wait the 8 weeks I’ve been told x

As mentioned above, the 8 weeks is not set by SFE, i imagine they can't bring it back faster than it will take unfortunately.
Ino it’s an old post but I’ve experienced something similar. How long did it take in the end?
Hi, did you had to wait 8 weeks or how long did it take for the money to be returned to SFE? They sent the the wrong amount of money so they recalled it before it reached my account and now they have given me a timescale of 8 weeks. i have told them that i cannot afford to wait 8weeks but they just kept repeating the same thing “sorry we cannot do anything” . This was the second mistake they did as 2 weeks ago i told them not to send the payment as my bank account cannot accept the amount and it will be sent back to them and they have told me it has been cancelled and then they still sent it, so i had to wait for the bank to return it and then they rescheduled the payment with the wrong amount so they are a complete mess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending