The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
hannahbarbera
I keep trying the uni conversation and there really is no point with it any more, its just hurting the both of us, me visably and him deep down. It is was it is and things happen for a reson, all i can hope is that the worst doesnt happen, but should it I will have the support of everyone around me. Hopefully you have alot of support too. Not many of my friends are in relationships that went to uni so im finding that quite hard but these sites are good i guess.
can I ask how long you have been together?

8 months. It went into a massive argument last night we almost split up so im just gonna stop trying to talk bout it now.

thanks for ur advice everyone
Toy Soldier
I don't think that's true really. Yes it happens, but it's far from certain. I have quite a few friends who have kept long distance relationships going with pre-uni partners all through Uni. Even one from Germany, been apart for Uni for 3 years so far and got engaged last summer. And Germany's a hell of a lot longer away than 2 and a half hours. In fact, 2 and a half hours is nothing :/. People commute an hour an a half+ to go to work! Every day! On top of that, people forget that Uni semesters aren't actually that long. It's not a year at Uni - it's (generally) 4 months, then a month off, then 3 months, then 4 months off. You never have to be apart more than 12 weeks at a time - and often there's a "reading week" in the middle of that (i.e. a week off :wink:) and the whole Uni year is only 8 months. You're not spending years apart, so long as you spend the 4 months over each summer making sure things are still solid.

Anyway OP, basically your boyfriend is just feeling like he's being left behind, and a bit insecure about things. Saying things like "but I'll have work some weekends" and "we'll have to see" is almost certainly just his way of keeping some power in the situation... rather than being just the one left at home sad and alone while you're off having the time of your life. I'm not saying that's how it will be - just that that's how he might be thinking.

Neither of you are being particularly unreasonable, it's just (understandably) an emotionally charged issue. If he wasn't upset and reactive on the issue of not getting to see you often, then you wouldn't have much of a relationship. He needs to come to terms with it and make the effort to see you as much as possible if he wants it to work... but also, I think you might want to consider being a bit more reassuring. Try telling him that yes, it will be hard for both of you, but you'll work it out and he's got nothing to worry about when it comes to being left behind or forgotten. Might be more helpful than "it's happening whether you like it or not".

thanks that really helps.
i think i just got really annoyed because he wasn't showing me he was upset? is that weird.. of course I don't want him to be upset but It just seemed like he wasn't going to miss me at all. I'm just starting to panic and stress about uni and the whole thing of moving away from home. I thought i'd be okay with it but i cant sleep and keep stressing about it. I dunno what to do!
orangeboy
I feel like I'm going around in circles.

I';ve been really missing my boyfriend so much, crying and having real emotional stress. I have visited him for a few days, it was great. Now I am back home and I'm feeling down again. I miss him so much. :-( God, really can't cope with LDR.

:hugs: You're suffering from, what they call over in the chat thread, a "LDR hangover"

I've not had the joy of experiencing one yet, but I've heard they're terrible.
I think the best idea is just to stop talking about it, I shocked at the similarities but i think everyone in a relationship going to uni is bound to go through something like this if they care about who they are with.
Reply 585
I've been in an LDR for a year, after my boyfriend went to do his MA. I would have been following him to do my BA this year, but I had to re-do my AS Levels, and so he's off to get a job this year. Eek. I just want to know how it's going to be different.
Reply 586
In what way, Mijdge? Not really sure what you're asking...
Hi :smile:

Me and my boyfriend have been together for over 2 years now, but as he's 2 years older than me, he's just finished his first year at uni. Its been so hard last year, it would take him 4 hours to get home, and I wasnt allowed to go up and see him on my own :frown:

Whilst our relationship has its up and downs, i know we still love each other and just want to say that long distance relationships can work, you just need to adjust to being that bit further apart, and remember to always appreciate every second you do spend together!

Its going to be hard when he goes back in september for his 2nd year, and harder the year after when i start uni and we're even further apart :frown:
Reply 588
Why weren't you allowed to go and see him on your own? That seems harsh :frown:

Where might you be looking to go to uni, and where is he? What sort of distance are you currently contending with?
Angelil
Why weren't you allowed to go and see him on your own? That seems harsh :frown:

Where might you be looking to go to uni, and where is he? What sort of distance are you currently contending with?

Because my parents are like that, and its ridiculous :frown: I wanted to go and see him on our 2 year anniversary because he couldnt come down but they wouldnt let me, so we spent it apart :frown:

He's at bradford, which isnt that far away from me by car, but its three trains and then a bus :frown:
and i'm looking at birmingham, which would be another train- extra hour or so
Come on, you've been going out 3 months, get a grip.
Reply 591
Your location is Durham, UK. So you won't be far away from her surely?
yeah, it is movign waaaaaay too fast. Get a grip.
InconspicuousGuy
its not the distance thats the problem...her course is quite heavy on the work load so what spare time she does get will be occupied by her course work

Make time! Why not go and have lunch/dinner with her? 1 hour is better than no hours!

Yes it is likely you will see her less, but if you really love eachother you will both make it work.
Reply 594
Tbh when my ex talked about the future I just went along with it, so don't get carried away. But well done for finding such a good relationship!

If she can't find time to see you, especially in the first year then that's ridiculous. People make it work living hundreds of miles apart, so if you both want it, it'll be fine. If not...it won't, simple really :smile:
Give him a break guys :rolleyes:

OP - if your relationship is as strong as you say then talk to her about it and see how she feels about the relationship with the distance but surely she cant be moving too far?? And no matter how much work you both may have, if you want it to work, you will find the time.
Reply 596
Hey, I know how you're feeling, except I'm the one who's going to uni in September and I'm also dreading leaving my boyfriend- we've been together for over 3 years now. I'm moving about an hour away from him. We're incredibly close- don't spend more than a day apart from each other.
My only advice is-(apart from that fact that you are still young, you don't know what will happen in the future, and I have to agree that it's only 3 months but it's obvious she means a lot to you), so who says it can't work out? If she cares about you the same way you care about her, then she should be able to make the time to see you. The distance isn't a problem either so think yourself lucky on that part. I'm devastated that I'm moving an hour away from my loved one but then I think to myself, thre are people out there (just look at the TSR Long-distance relationship thread) who are hours away- some in different countries to each other and then I realise my situation's not that bad in comparison. I don't know why you are so worried about it- if she loves you and vice versa and the effort is made to keep each other close then there really is no problem. Try not to panic about it! Think yourself lucky she's going to a nearby university where you can visit her when you want :smile:
Reply 597
If you're going to be living in the same city I don't really see a problem here :s-smilie:. There are people in relationships who have been with their partner for years and are moving hundreds of miles away from each other for uni... that's when the "uni ruins relationships" thing comes into play.
i was going to ask why are you stressing when your location says durham, but then you answered i above!

i do think it's sweet and all romantic. but. do you love your g-f? does she love you really? if she really does love you then im sure she wont hit it off with another guy if she's as much in love with you as you are with her!(make sense?)

ok. shes doing a degree which involves a lot of work, but im sure she'll spend lots of time with you especially since you both will be in durham. from what ive heard about relationships, they tend to die out when people live really far apart from each other (e.g. er.. random expample, my friend goes to UCL and her bf lives in nottingham)

deepstar is right, you should talk about this with your g-f. tell her how you feel and see what she has to say....
Reply 599
She's not even leaving town and most uni students manage to find time for relationships - I don't see why
InconspicuousGuy is being so overly dramatic.

Latest

Trending

Trending