The Student Room Group

Student Teacher Bursary Petition

Hiya!
Could any student teachers (or really anyone who just agrees in general) on here sign this petition for a bursary similar to the ones that are being introduced for nurses! We go through similar courses (inc placements, work-study balance etc) and I feel that it should be reflected as it is for nurses...
Give it a read and if you agree, a sign!
Thank you x
https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-bursaries-for-student-teachers-ea795a8e-47aa-4e01-a024-92016a9e538a
Reply 1
I had no idea that undergraduate teachers had the same workload as Student Nurses. I’ve signed - it’s awful when you only have a 4-6 week break in the summer to get any sort of paid work in - teaching students at least have the benefit of knowing their working days when working placements but 24/46 weeks working for free really does take its toll. I sadly left my Nursing programme but it makes me sad others continue to have to fight through. Last year was awful - returning to Uni on the 2nd of January meant I spent New Year alone 🙁 there’s no other way to be in class at 9am on the 2nd cause trains on the 1st are rubbish 😔 it’s also the run up to Christmas when you see other students leaving only 1 week into December and you’re still out on shifts till just days before Christmas starts. I imagine they keep you all in Uni till the 21st/22nd instead. It’s very sad as you can’t enjoy any sort of student life. Not to mention the extra cost of halls for your 46 week year when everyone else only pays 34ish weeks 😔 had to move twice in halls to make way for summer corporate bookings. Honestly a nightmare.
(edited 4 years ago)
I've signed, but:

If you want a UK government response, the petition should be run through the official site here: https://petition.parliament.uk/

There's no shortage of primary teachers in the UK, and a B. Ed. degree is already seen as an easier option, compared to a PGCE- most Primary PGCE students have to survive on student loans as well.
Reply 3
An interesting argument that you put forward, but I disagree.

The DfE has bursary schemes in place for teaching positions that are in demand (like STEM). Why should the DfE put more money into training (say) Art teachers if there is no shortage? Surely you'd agree that the money is better spent in schools than on training people that won't be able to find a job? Plus, if you're sitting in the position like "I have a Product Design degree but want the Maths bursary", you can do a maths A-Level and then an SKE course and happily get onto a Maths PGCE.

Student teachers who are going for non-demand subjects are still entitled to the means tested full student loan entitlement (~9k a year). It's actually fine to live on considering you have no council tax to pay and are also entitled to other student benefits like childcare and DSA. IMO, the bursary isn't the reason why people do the course, it's the icing on the cake.
I don’t agree with above comment being as am a trainee teacher, am a mature student training as a pe teacher, the loan is not enough to get by. I taken a massive cut in income to train as a teacher. This being in a subject which is not shortage but they still needed to train new teachers in these fields. I may qualify not to pay council tax but I do with my partner and I have my own home. I could use having a small bursary on top to help, but I don’t get it and was having to work part time as well. I would still do teaching anyway but a bursary would of helped me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending