The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to St Georges?

It was in my list of 4 med school choices but it's slightly ambigious regarding GCSE's. Apparently it uses a points system but I can't work out how to figure out the amount of points I have. It shows this on their website: http://www.sgul.ac.uk/dms/0D2A9A1DE78E6704CFEAE505DCEF6758.jpg

I'm not an 'A-level applicant' because I'll be taking an access course but surely the GCSE thing still applies & it says that applicants require an average of grade A in GCSE's.
My GCSE's aren't bad but compared to other med applicants they're not amazing. My school had a 26% GCSE pass rate - would that be taken into consideration?

Can anyone shed some light? Liverpool seem to do a similar thing so that's out of the question now - it's getting disheartening :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't help you with this, but reading your post - I can't see why your school "should" have any effect on whether you get in. Ideally, you'd get in based on your own personal performance, but there are rumours that med schools sometimes operate on a slightly less fair system, shall we say!

I think that as long as you have the required grades for GCSEs and - more importantly - A levels, you should be alright :smile:.

Good luck, and keep at it! You'll get in :biggrin:.
Reply 2
I don't know about George's but I hear BSMS and Peninsula are quite access to med friendly.
Demon_AS
I can't help you with this, but reading your post - I can't see why your school "should" have any effect on whether you get in. Ideally, you'd get in based on your own personal performance, but there are rumours that med schools sometimes operate on a slightly less fair system, shall we say!

I think that as long as you have the required grades for GCSEs and - more importantly - A levels, you should be alright :smile:.

Thankyou for the confidence boost :wink: I'll have a look at some other med schools and keep my fingers crossed!
aapl
I don't know about George's but I hear BSMS and Peninsula are quite access to med friendly.

Thanks for that, I'll look into those :smile:
Reply 5
Demon_AS

Well going to a crap school does make it harder to do well, especially at GCSE when the system's all new to you.

Email St George's and ask if they'll take it into consideration. I remember reading their prospectus a few years ago and they were really into helping the disadvantaged.
Reply 6
What GCSE grades do you have?
Reply 7
Hey! I think you should consider emailing them about this, they do seem to reply quickly (so it seems ^.^) Hopefully things work out for you, if not, there're plenty other unis who are access-to-med friendly!! Email quite a few :redface:
Reply 8
somethingbeautiful
Thankyou for the confidence boost :wink: I'll have a look at some other med schools and keep my fingers crossed!
Hah, no problem :smile:. Good luck :five:.
Reply 9
Saffie
Well going to a crap school does make it harder to do well, especially at GCSE when the system's all new to you.

Email St George's and ask if they'll take it into consideration. I remember reading their prospectus a few years ago and they were really into helping the disadvantaged.
I never said anything about that. My point was that if she got the required grade, she should get in, regardless of what school she went to.

We're operating on the premise that she gets the grade in the first place - that, after all, is the first step to getting into medical school.
Reply 10
Demon_AS
I never said anything about that. My point was that if she got the required grade, she should get in, regardless of what school she went to.

We're operating on the premise that she gets the grade in the first place - that, after all, is the first step to getting into medical school.
I see, but she has her GCSE results, which she described as not bad but not comparitively amazing. Ergo, if she doesn't manage to average an A grade, then she could try to play the 'I went to an awful school' card. :yes:
Reply 11
well access courses contain level 2 aswell as level 3.. i would have thought they would likely be more concerned with that than your previous qualifications. where mature students are concerned it is more to do with what you have done since school and what your academic performance is right now!
Reply 12
Saffie
I see, but she has her GCSE results, which she described as not bad but not comparitively amazing. Ergo, if she doesn't manage to average an A grade, then she could try to play the 'I went to an awful school' card. :yes:
Hah, I didn't get a single A* at GCSE :biggrin:. I still got into a med school. So, I think A levels are what they look at more than GCSEs :smile:. Besides, if she gets an interview, it comes down to how you present yourself then.

Too many factors to blame not getting into medical school, I reckon :smile:. How's it going with you, Saff-meister? :biggrin:
Reply 13
Bored, :yawn: how're you?
Reply 14
Saffie
Bored, :yawn: how're you?
Lol, the same I guess. That's why they invented MSN :wink:. So, why not sign in? :p:
I'm not sure if its true for this year, but for last year, St Georges had a ranking system of schools, and if your school was low then your GCSEs would equate to more points, if that makes sense to you. That way people aren't too hindered by their bad schools and their teaching.

And for the amount of points, just roughly work out, if your top 8 GCSEs are all As or above, you are fine. if one is A* you can have one B and so on...
Reply 16
somethingbeautiful

It was in my list of 4 med school choices but it's slightly ambigious regarding GCSE's. Apparently it uses a points system but I can't work out how to figure out the amount of points I have. It shows this on their website: http://www.sgul.ac.uk/dms/0D2A9A1DE7...05DCEF6758.jpg

I'm not an 'A-level applicant' because I'll be taking an access course but surely the GCSE thing still applies & it says that applicants require an average of grade A in GCSE's.
My GCSE's aren't bad but compared to other med applicants they're not amazing. My school had a 26% GCSE pass rate - would that be taken into consideration?

Can anyone shed some light? Liverpool seem to do a similar thing so that's out of the question now - it's getting disheartening

if your school avarage is below 245 you get a lowwer offer so it doesnt affect your interview or your acceptance chances, it is your offer that gets changed.

what are your GCSE results? the key is at the top of the page from the link you posted. not sure about access, it is definitely acceptable but what grades, eyc is something you have to email them about.

other that i think St George's is awesome, so much better than Liverpool! see my spoiler.
Saffie
What GCSE grades do you have?

A*AABBBBBBCC - plus a short course A*

English = A
Maths = B
Dual Award Science = BB
Reply 18
your top 8 grades including eng/maths/science add up to 392. They need to add up to 416.

Contact them to see whether your school is bad enough for them to make a consession..
Grr - I looked at the 'contact' page on their website and there's just a general enquiries postal address and various irrelavent e-mail addresses. I'll phone when I've found some confidence lol

Latest

Trending

Trending