The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

quakeeem
most offers these days are 1,1
that should be fine if you understand the whole syllabus and do a fair few past papers. you don't need to worry about that for over a year yet though!

WTF? That doesn't sound as if it was coming from someone who's taken STEP- how on earth do you find those are "fine"? Hell, even our Maths teachers died a little bit when they saw the STEP papers (again), and these are guys with straight As/Oxbridge Maths degrees.
Reply 41
how much did your mummy and daddy pay for you to get those grades?
Reply 42
Icy_Mikki
WTF? That doesn't sound as if it was coming from someone who's taken STEP- how on earth do you find those are "fine"? Hell, even our Maths teachers died a little bit when they saw the STEP papers (again), and these are guys with straight As/Oxbridge Maths degrees.

Well, I guess all the practice papers were hard, but that's mainly due to a lack of practice. The main point in STEP is thinking the same way the professors do. If you can quickly run through all the different ways you could even attempt to solve the problem, one of them will work and there you go. You've just got to work through it.
And that's all well and good, but it is still very hard. But if you work hard, and you're lucky you'll be able to do quite well. There are people who get S,S!
(I did STEP this year btw)

ps, sorry about the delay, I was watching last choir standing :smile:
quakeeem
Well, I guess all the practice papers were hard, but that's mainly due to a lack of practice. The main point in STEP is thinking the same way the professors do. If you can quickly run through all the different ways you could even attempt to solve the problem, one of them will work and there you go. You've just got to work through it.

And that's all well and good, but it is still very hard. But if you work hard, and you're lucky you'll be able to do quite well. There are people who get S,S!
(I did STEP this year btw)

ps, sorry about the delay, I was watching last choir standing :smile:

I think you've got us confused- I'm not the original poster! I'm Yr13 like you but have Oxford down as my firm for Maths (+CompSci) so only have AAA to worry about! Personally, I haven't really looked at STEP properly except when attempting to help mates who had to do the exam so don't have a particularly reliable experience of STEP, so have to rely upon others- the guys who actually took the exam (599 and ~585 out of 600 in A2 Maths last year, Trinity and I *think* Pembroke colleges?) tried their absolute hardest with their preparation for the exams but barely got one or two full questions come the exams. Outta interest- how many full questions did you answer?
Reply 44
just wondering. what sort of money does it take to go to eton? or is it more connections?
Aaa
bean87
just wondering. what sort of money does it take to go to eton? or is it more connections?

I think it's about £28,000 a year, plus any extras.
Reply 47
3 Alevels getting AAA
Reply 48
kingharry666
I think it's about £28,000 a year, plus any extras.

jesus H christ

i bet they dont have trouble getting students either. any entrance exams?
Icy_Mikki
I think you've got us confused- I'm not the original poster! I'm Yr13 like you but have Oxford down as my firm for Maths (+CompSci) so only have AAA to worry about! Personally, I haven't really looked at STEP properly except when attempting to help mates who had to do the exam so don't have a particularly reliable experience of STEP, so have to rely upon others- the guys who actually took the exam (599 and ~585 out of 600 in A2 Maths last year, Trinity and I *think* Pembroke colleges?) tried their absolute hardest with their preparation for the exams but barely got one or two full questions come the exams. Outta interest- how many full questions did you answer?

To be fair, anyone remotely talented at Maths should find it entirely possible (if not easy) to get around full marks for A2. STEP is much harder, but only because Maths is easy for anyone with ability or willing to work their arse off. To do well in STEP you have to be either an absolute genius or be talented and work your arse off. That is the reason that they have STEP, to wheedle out the people without any talent. If you are good enough to go to Cambridge to read Maths, then you will do well in STEP.
Reply 50
i did little work in maths and will almost certainly be getting an A. i've seen the step papers though and dont even know where to start. its a totally different level. and makes A2 maths look easy

good luck :wink:
bean87
jesus H christ

i bet they dont have trouble getting students either. any entrance exams?

From the Eton website: "A boy who now wishes to join the School at the age of 13 must be registered on the Eton List, must come through a selection procedure when he is about 11, and must subsequently pass the Common Entrance examination."
Reply 52
jelly1000
I would say A. Option B looks like you have taken on a lot just to try and impress Oxbridge.

Which is bad because?
Reply 53
Icy_Mikki

Yehh, I got 594/600 last year which wasn't even top of the class.
In STEP II, I answered 4 questions fully and 1 almost fully. & in STEP III, I answered 5 questions fully and 2 almost fully.
Did noone at your school do well? Hopefully Cambridge will look past that and let them in still, this must be a tense week for them!
quakeeem
Yehh, I got 594/600 last year which wasn't even top of the class.
In STEP II, I answered 4 questions fully and 1 almost fully. & in STEP III, I answered 5 questions fully and 2 almost fully.
Did noone at your school do well? Hopefully Cambridge will look past that and let them in still, this must be a tense week for them!

Nice one! I *think* the Trinity guy got two (possibly three) full questions in III and one in II (plus about 2 or 3 parts in each), and the Pembroke girl got two in II and two or three in III. So yeah, tense week for them! Good luck btw.
the more the better
but 5 A- levels is a hell of a lot of work, but then if you can think you can do it, if not play it safe and get the 3 As
other stuff is important to, having a good ps and that
Reply 56
trey
how much did your mummy and daddy pay for you to get those grades?

What a crappy thing to say to someone. Can we please try to refrain from implying that clearly intelligent people don't deserve their grades, and insulting their parents in the same sentence?

Personally, I would go for 3. Not based entirely on laziness, but because if you've got 3 they can only demand 3As. Whereas if you have 5 (especially if they are relevant), I wouldn't bank on them not demanding 4 or 5 As, especially as you go to a good school with a good support network. However, I don't really know much about this kind of thing, and a few of my Etonian friends seem to know of people taking countless A levels, so you could always ask around school about multiple A-levels/the grades expected etc, as I'm sure a lot of them will have some idea.
For all of you sugesting 5A Levels, I read an article about A-Levels in the Times on Friday, {can't remember which day}in which Geoff Parks, director of Admissions at Cambridge says that pupils doing 4 or more A-Levels "...might be disadvantaging themselves by taking the edge off their overall performance by doing so much." He also said "he hoped the introduction of the new top A* grade from 2010 would reverse the trend and persuade more students to take three because the key descriminator will be quality rather than quantity."

Latest

Trending

Trending