The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Acommodation Questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Any opinions on Henry Price, Central Village, James Baillie or Leodis?(other than being massively oversubscribed)
Taking Business, and looking for fairly social en-suite accommodation!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
Anyone knows anything about The Priory? It is close to the University and to the Business School but unfortunately, I didn't find any reviews. I've booked the Basic Studio
Original post by Youngie1
Any opinions on Henry Price, Central Village, James Baillie or Leodis?(other than being massively oversubscribed)
Taking Business, and looking for fairly social en-suite accommodation!

Hi,
There are plenty of excellent accommodations in Leeds. We are a 5 minute walk to the Leeds University business school and a 10-15 minute walk to the city centre campuses. If you would like information about any of our rooms (en-suites and studio rooms), please contact us and we would be happy to help!
The Asa Briggs House Team
Reply 43
Anyone have any opinion of which is the most sociable accommodation?
Original post by Imfukd
Anyone have any opinion of which is the most sociable accommodation?

Lots are very social it depends on your other requirements like en-suite/distance to uni. Most ppl would probs say James Baille but it’s quite oversubscribed and imo there are better alternatives
Reply 45
Original post by Scarlett77
Lots are very social it depends on your other requirements like en-suite/distance to uni. Most ppl would probs say James Baille but it’s quite oversubscribed and imo there are better alternatives

Any opinions on Charles Morris? I applied there but got an email a few days ago saying there won't be catering services there this year. I've read that its one of the most sociable but I am wondering if catering services are a part of what made it so sociable and now that there is no catering it might be less sociable this year?

*also I don't really have any other requirements just don't want to end up in a dead accommodation where no one speaks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Imfukd
Any opinions on Charles Morris? I applied there but got an email a few days ago saying there won't be catering services there this year. I've read that its one of the most sociable but I am wondering if catering services are a part of what made it so sociable and now that there is no catering it might be less sociable this year?

*also I don't really have any other requirements just don't want to end up in a dead accommodation where no one speaks

Wait how will that work if they’re not providing catering there this year? Do the flats still have kitchens even though it’s catered, idk why i just kind of assumed they wouldn’t have as good kitchen facilities. Or have they done them out so they’re permanently self catered?

(Haven’t actually applies there or anything just being nosey😬)
Reply 47
Original post by e2002!
Wait how will that work if they’re not providing catering there this year? Do the flats still have kitchens even though it’s catered, idk why i just kind of assumed they wouldn’t have as good kitchen facilities. Or have they done them out so they’re permanently self catered?

(Haven’t actually applies there or anything just being nosey😬)

yea Charles Morris was built as a self-catered residence anyway so their kitchens are still on par with other self-catered residences. they're not providing catering in that hall this year cos of covvy but apparently they are providing catering in other catered halls.

i think because charles morris is always oversubscribed they just saw an opportunity this year to encourage people to apply to other residences by taking out catering.
Hi :smile: I don’t suppose you know how the flats are arranged in Lyddon Hall? Are they straightforward flats of 6 eg 1-6, 7-12 etc? Thanks!
Hi, I got my offer of accommodation today at Devonshire Hall, which is the absolute last place I wanted. I applied for James Baillie and I'm really peeved I didn't get it. I was wondering, would anyone want to swap with me? My accommodation is I think £124p/w (rough maths as it gave me a lump sum for the whole year), self-catered and in North Lawn block J. I'm looking for anywhere under £130p/w and self-catered.

Also, I actually have no clue how to swap with somebody- getting it through to the uni and stuff and getting it officially sorted, so if anyone who has done it knows please tell me!
Reply 50
Any mature students here?
Reply 51
Original post by Megan Hargrave
Hi, I got my offer of accommodation today at Devonshire Hall, which is the absolute last place I wanted. I applied for James Baillie and I'm really peeved I didn't get it. I was wondering, would anyone want to swap with me? My accommodation is I think £124p/w (rough maths as it gave me a lump sum for the whole year), self-catered and in North Lawn block J. I'm looking for anywhere under £130p/w and self-catered.

Also, I actually have no clue how to swap with somebody- getting it through to the uni and stuff and getting it officially sorted, so if anyone who has done it knows please tell me!

That's well annoying, I applied to devonshire hall and didn't get it! They gave me oxley so i'd be keen to swap x
Original post by Megan Hargrave

Obviously I don't know how things are going to differ with covid but in past years transfers have to be done via the university system. You can sort it out with the person beforehand but you need to go through the university processes for it to be legit. Usually the process doesn't open until a few weeks into the start of term to give you time to settle in and make sure it's what you want to do (most people decide to stay because they grow to love it/the people!).

If it is what you want you need to fill out forms and stuff with the uni to tell them you want to swap/move and hopefully they should give you information from there. If the move/swap is successful they will charge you (about £50 I think?) in admin fees.

I haven't been able to find the Web page explaining swaps but here is the page explaining moves to a vacant room which you may also want to consider: https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/36/transfers_and_leaving/57/transfer_to_a_vacant_room

Hope this has helped any!
Reply 53
Original post by Grace-B
That's well annoying, I applied to devonshire hall and didn't get it! They gave me oxley so i'd be keen to swap x

That’s crazy, i’ve got devonshire and didn’t apply there either, literally no one i know who’s got there applied there.
Reply 54
Original post by e2002!
That’s crazy, i’ve got devonshire and didn’t apply there either, literally no one i know who’s got there applied there.

Same with oxley, it just seems totally random? Seems like only henry price or james baille people got want they wanted
Reply 55
Original post by Grace-B
Same with oxley, it just seems totally random? Seems like only henry price or james baille people got want they wanted

Yeah you’d think they’d allocate the rooms to everyone who applied there and then fill empty spots up with people who didn’t get their first choice but i guess not. I do get why i got put in devonshire bc it is quite similar to the one i applied for but yeah it’s weird that i haven’t heard of anyone who applied there, so you’d think if there’s only a small amount of ppl that do apply there that they’d at least get allocated rooms first.
I got put in 10 Clarendon place which is an annexe of Lyddon Hall. Does anyone know anything about living here like is it fun?
Has anyone lived in iQ on Cross Chancellor street and have any insight?
Reply 58
Original post by curlyyy
Has anyone lived in iQ on Cross Chancellor street and have any insight?

I’m going to be living there in a few weeks and from what I’ve heard around, the accommodation is nice and the people change every year but I guess it’s up to you how you make it. It’s close to the Uni of and you can just walk it there, however apparently the area is a bit dodgy but then again there are plenty of other accommodations around so plenty of students.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Obviously I don't know how things are going to differ with covid but in past years transfers have to be done via the university system. You can sort it out with the person beforehand but you need to go through the university processes for it to be legit. Usually the process doesn't open until a few weeks into the start of term to give you time to settle in and make sure it's what you want to do (most people decide to stay because they grow to love it/the people!).

If it is what you want you need to fill out forms and stuff with the uni to tell them you want to swap/move and hopefully they should give you information from there. If the move/swap is successful they will charge you (about £50 I think?) in admin fees.

I haven't been able to find the Web page explaining swaps but here is the page explaining moves to a vacant room which you may also want to consider: https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/36/transfers_and_leaving/57/transfer_to_a_vacant_room

Hope this has helped any!

Do you accept your contract regardless of whether you want to swap rooms or live at the allocated residency? I'm unsure lol

Quick Reply

Latest