The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am a current student at the University of Leeds - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

what were ur other uni options? what do u think u've gotten @ leeds that u couldn't have gotten there?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Yep, Carlton Hill. Do you know anything about it? Thank you
Original post by oatmealworm
what were ur other uni options? what do u think u've gotten @ leeds that u couldn't have gotten there?

I was debating between Durham and Leeds for my firm choice and chose Leeds in the end as I could do Law with French Law here (which was not available in Durham).
Original post by user8937264980
Yep, Carlton Hill. Do you know anything about it? Thank you

It’s close to the uni and city centre but it is right by a major junction of the inner ring road so it might be a tad noisy. That’s all I can say really.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I am now a recent graduate of LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds (I was a current student when this thread was set up!).

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@CatusStarbright - 2021 graduate, Law with French Law
@aylee_ - current student, Law
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Hi I’m an applicant for this September but going next week as a taster to Leeds city. Can you tell me any good places to go out/ clubs? Ik the night life is good but is it more bar based than clubs and do you end up as a student more flat parties n pubs reslly?
Original post by I33ysanders
Hi I’m an applicant for this September but going next week as a taster to Leeds city. Can you tell me any good places to go out/ clubs? Ik the night life is good but is it more bar based than clubs and do you end up as a student more flat parties n pubs reslly?

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the scene is like post-pandemic. Pre-pandemic there were plenty of clubs around, though as a student we mostly just went to Fruity (in the students' union) or had house parties to save money. The bars in Leeds can be pretty pricey so they don't generally tend to attract students (probably deliberately).
@CatusStarbright could you tell me about how the study abroad process works and in general how do you find it? i'm going to apply for french and chinese or japanese starting in sep2024. also could you tell me about the societies ?
Original post by charmaine.d
@CatusStarbright could you tell me about how the study abroad process works and in general how do you find it? i'm going to apply for french and chinese or japanese starting in sep2024. also could you tell me about the societies ?

Certainly!

If your course has a mandatory year abroad (which I imagine the language courses all do!), then you will be guaranteed a study abroad place and will be able to apply for universities from a set list which meet your course requirements. For example, the options for my course were Nancy or Lyon and I applied for Lyon as my first choice of university. My course was very niche though - generally language students have more choices than just two!

For courses which do not have a mandatory year abroad, you apply for universities from the master list of unis. However, if you were, say a Law student, you would only be able to apply for the ones which accept Law students/students from any course. The year abroad is not guaranteed but I think the vast majority of people are offered a place, even if it was not for one of the unis they applied for.

The study abroad office is really well-organised (or at least it was when I was there!). They run talks throughout the year, both before the application process begins (e.g. on how the process works, tips for how to choose and apply for unis, etc.) and for those that get a place (e.g. on finance and funding, travel tips, country briefings from students who previously studied abroad in that country, etc.). I studied abroad in 2019/2020 and they were incredibly responsive and supportive when Covid hit and we needed to come home suddenly.

Re societies, Leeds has so, so many! You can browse them all here: https://engage.luu.org.uk/groups. At the start of uni, clubs and societies will be hosting Give it a Go sessions which allow new and returning students to try out the club/society for free (or sometimes at a very low cost).

I hope this helps!
Certainly!

If your course has a mandatory year abroad (which I imagine the language courses all do!), then you will be guaranteed a study abroad place and will be able to apply for universities from a set list which meet your course requirements. For example, the options for my course were Nancy or Lyon and I applied for Lyon as my first choice of university. My course was very niche though - generally language students have more choices than just two!

For courses which do not have a mandatory year abroad, you apply for universities from the master list of unis. However, if you were, say a Law student, you would only be able to apply for the ones which accept Law students/students from any course. The year abroad is not guaranteed but I think the vast majority of people are offered a place, even if it was not for one of the unis they applied for.

The study abroad office is really well-organised (or at least it was when I was there!). They run talks throughout the year, both before the application process begins (e.g. on how the process works, tips for how to choose and apply for unis, etc.) and for those that get a place (e.g. on finance and funding, travel tips, country briefings from students who previously studied abroad in that country, etc.). I studied abroad in 2019/2020 and they were incredibly responsive and supportive when Covid hit and we needed to come home suddenly.

Re societies, Leeds has so, so many! You can browse them all here: https://engage.luu.org.uk/groups. At the start of uni, clubs and societies will be hosting Give it a Go sessions which allow new and returning students to try out the club/society for free (or sometimes at a very low cost).

I hope this helps!

thank you !!! super informative i watched a few videos earlier to hype myself up about going to leeds uni and they highly commended the societies. hoping that im able to apply for a uni in paris (i really love the metro) or the north of france, just a preference, hopefully language students get more options !!!!
Original post by charmaine.d
thank you !!! super informative i watched a few videos earlier to hype myself up about going to leeds uni and they highly commended the societies. hoping that im able to apply for a uni in paris (i really love the metro) or the north of france, just a preference, hopefully language students get more options !!!!

I'm glad this helped! I really enjoyed my time at Leeds and hopefully you will too :biggrin:
Received an offer letter from leeds for MA English Literature. Is the subject renowned in LEEDS or is Edinburgh a better choice since I got letters from both unis
Original post by Anonymous
Received an offer letter from leeds for MA English Literature. Is the subject renowned in LEEDS or is Edinburgh a better choice since I got letters from both unis

I have a friend who's just done an English Lit MA at Leeds and she seems to have enjoyed it. You'd have to check the uni rankings if you want to know how 'renowned' something else.

However, do bear in mind that there are far more factors to consider when choosing between two universities than just the course's reputation, e.g. course content, vibe of each city, cost of accommodation/living costs of each city, etc.
I have a friend who's just done an English Lit MA at Leeds and she seems to have enjoyed it. You'd have to check the uni rankings if you want to know how 'renowned' something else.

However, do bear in mind that there are far more factors to consider when choosing between two universities than just the course's reputation, e.g. course content, vibe of each city, cost of accommodation/living costs of each city, etc.

Thank you so much for your reply. It's 9th in UK for English. I hope that's not too bad. I liked the course content and Leeds looks like a good place to stay. I've taken Carlton Hill as my accomodation but I'm worried since it's brand new. Do you have anyone who has seen the building or knows anything about it? Because I'm afraid it won't look like the demo pictures in the website. Again thanks for helping.
Thank you so much for your reply. It's 9th in UK for English. I hope that's not too bad. I liked the course content and Leeds looks like a good place to stay. I've taken Carlton Hill as my accomodation but I'm worried since it's brand new. Do you have anyone who has seen the building or knows anything about it? Because I'm afraid it won't look like the demo pictures in the website. Again thanks for helping.

If it's a university accommodation then it will be fine. I've not met anyone who's had any real issues with their Leeds uni accommodation. You can always look at the photos for the newer existing accommodations (e.g. Cityside, which I know does look like the pictures) to see what it might look like.
Hi
Do you know if it’s possible to change courses? And if so, is it an easy process?
Original post by Amazingdino1
Hi
Do you know if it’s possible to change courses? And if so, is it an easy process?

Hi, I'm afraid I'm not sure! I would recommend have a meeting with your academic personal tutor to discuss if you are seriously considering a course change; they should be able to go through it all with you.
Hi,
I have been selected for 6 months fellowship program at LEEDs and had to join in October, 2023 but unfortunately the decision over my ATAS application is pending from last 4 months.

Can anyone share their experience or anything that can guide me?
I am now a recent graduate of LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds (I was a current student when this thread was set up!).

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@CatusStarbright - 2021 graduate, Law with French Law
@aylee_ - current student, Law
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Hi I am looking for a Leeds University student to tutor me part time in Python programming for GCSE level as I need to know this part as I have to teach it shortly. Can you advise me where I can post to reach out?
Thanks Mark
Hi I am looking for a Leeds University student to tutor me part time in Python programming for GCSE level as I need to know this part as I have to teach it shortly. Can you advise me where I can post to reach out?
Thanks Mark

I have no idea I'm afraid. Perhaps it could be worth finding and asking someone from the relevant school/department if they would send an email round their students?
I was wondering when offers usually go out for law at Leeds if you have any info on this. I applied in October but received an email saying they would not review my application until after the January Deadline
Original post by chloefallows06
I was wondering when offers usually go out for law at Leeds if you have any info on this. I applied in October but received an email saying they would not review my application until after the January Deadline

Then it will be sometime after the January deadline :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest