The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am a current student at the University of Leeds - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatusStarbright
I took one module of French each year in my first and second years. That included a twice-weekly lecture, a weekly seminar, and a weekly conversation class (Travaux Pratique). I had a speaking exam in the first-year module and a recording to submit for my second-year one.

I kind of split my course into three parts: English law, French law, and French language. Which part would you like to hear about? :smile:

May I know more about the French Language course please :smile: je ne vais pas étudier français à l'universitaire mais j'ai choisi d'étudier les langues à l'universitaire de Leeds (espagnol et chinois) alors je voudrais savoir un peu plus de votre expérience s'il vous plaît . Merci
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Pretty common questions here... I'm 25, and finally decided after years of travelling and working to start an undergraduate degree this September. I literally cannot wait.

I think I want to stay in halls to really get the proper Uni experience. What do you think of Montague Burton (or Leodis)? I've read that often postgrads and slightly older students are put in Monty B, maybe for the "community feel." I like the sound of it, rooms look nice and it's cheap. Don't really mind about an en-suite.. Very easy going guy, don't get too bothered by loud music, parties, etc, get on with everyone - but to be honest would probably prefer to live with people who are 20+ rather than school leavers.. just find that usually people with 1 or 2 years of working or doing gap years have a way more mature take on things. Do you know if they try to put people of similar age together in hall flats?

I wouldn't be totally against joining a private house of second or third year students, but just feel like I might be missing out on the full experience. Is there a lot to be said for the experience of living in halls?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by polyglot23
May I know more about the French Language course please :smile: je ne vais pas étudier français à l'universitaire mais j'ai choisi d'étudier les langues à l'universitaire de Leeds (espagnol et chinois) alors je voudrais savoir un peu plus de votre expérience s'il vous plaît . Merci

Sure! Well the module I took each year was the basic one. In first year this was 'French Language Awareness and Skills' which was just grammar and the (advanced) fundamentals of the language. In second year this was 'French Language in Contexts' which was about using language in different styles and registers (e.g. CVs, letters, applications, interviews, newspaper articles, etc.).

Both modules had the same format of a twice-weekly lecture, which would act as an introduction/overview of the seminar topics for the next two weeks. The seminars would be about practical exercises, and clarifying/consolidation what was taught in lectures. Seminar styles vary from teacher to teacher. Mine encouraged group/paired discussion before feeding back to the class, but other seminar leaders prefer to have everyone contributing together (which works well when you have a class happy and willing to engage, less so when the class is shyer).

The conversation classes sit somewhat outside this. They're literally just to encourage you to speak and to practice formulating phrases and arguments in your second language. Some consider them pointless, but I found them useful (even if I at times dreaded them because my French wasn't as good as others - sheerly because I spend less time studying the language than they did!). We'd usually start by discussing the news (choosing a story or two to talk about was a running homework), then move on to do debates, or just discuss our views on a topic. Sometimes we'd watch videos about cultural aspects, do quizzes, etc. Once we even played the game where you stick on someone else's forehead the name of someone and they have to guess who they are!

I don't know if the same format is followed for other languages, but I hope this gives you some idea!
Sure! Well the module I took each year was the basic one. In first year this was 'French Language Awareness and Skills' which was just grammar and the (advanced) fundamentals of the language. In second year this was 'French Language in Contexts' which was about using language in different styles and registers (e.g. CVs, letters, applications, interviews, newspaper articles, etc.).

Both modules had the same format of a twice-weekly lecture, which would act as an introduction/overview of the seminar topics for the next two weeks. The seminars would be about practical exercises, and clarifying/consolidation what was taught in lectures. Seminar styles vary from teacher to teacher. Mine encouraged group/paired discussion before feeding back to the class, but other seminar leaders prefer to have everyone contributing together (which works well when you have a class happy and willing to engage, less so when the class is shyer).

The conversation classes sit somewhat outside this. They're literally just to encourage you to speak and to practice formulating phrases and arguments in your second language. Some consider them pointless, but I found them useful (even if I at times dreaded them because my French wasn't as good as others - sheerly because I spend less time studying the language than they did!). We'd usually start by discussing the news (choosing a story or two to talk about was a running homework), then move on to do debates, or just discuss our views on a topic. Sometimes we'd watch videos about cultural aspects, do quizzes, etc. Once we even played the game where you stick on someone else's forehead the name of someone and they have to guess who they are!

I don't know if the same format is followed for other languages, but I hope this gives you some idea!

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Barnabozzle
Pretty common questions here... I'm 25, and finally decided after years of travelling and working to start an undergraduate degree this September. I literally cannot wait.

I think I want to stay in halls to really get the proper Uni experience. What do you think of Montague Burton (or Leodis)? I've read that often postgrads and slightly older students are put in Monty B, maybe for the "community feel." I like the sound of it, rooms look nice and it's cheap. Don't really mind about an en-suite.. Very easy going guy, don't get too bothered by loud music, parties, etc, get on with everyone - but to be honest would probably prefer to live with people who are 20+ rather than school leavers.. just find that usually people with 1 or 2 years of working or doing gap years have a way more mature take on things. Do you know if they try to put people of similar age together in hall flats?

I wouldn't be totally against joining a private house of second or third year students, but just feel like I might be missing out on the full experience. Is there a lot to be said for the experience of living in halls?

No worries :smile: Glad you're excited!

There are some postgraduate residences that accept mature students (those 21+) too, if you wanted to do that. I can find Greyson Heights, and the shared houses. I've actually been in one of the shared houses, and they're very spacious and right on campus too! Greyson Heights, on the other hand, is between Kirkstall and Headingley, which is code for 'miles away'!

The halls experience is fairly unique, yes. It's probably one of the few times you'll move in with people you don't know, and be supported in the sense that they're all well-managed and you don't have to deal with the challenges of private landlords. Plus there's no need to organise bills, etc. But it is definitely an idea to explore all of your options! Private halls are a thing, and there are always rooms spare in current students' rented houses that you can consider (though note they can be expensive).
Original post by polyglot23
Thank you so much :smile:

No worries!
As an international student i have a lot of concerns.

1. I am an offer holder in MSc in Global Strategy and Innovation. So how it the business school of Leeds like.
2. What is the employability, reputation as compared to other Univs.
3. Does proximity to London really affect a university, being far from London will it have affect on placements and job scenario.
4. How are the professors, and lectures like, how fast and gruelling is the course and what are the assignments like.
5. How is the campus life, living condition.
6. How does it compare to other university such as Southampton, I have an offer from Southampton too for the same strategy and innovation MSc.
Original post by shashkant
As an international student i have a lot of concerns.

1. I am an offer holder in MSc in Global Strategy and Innovation. So how it the business school of Leeds like.
2. What is the employability, reputation as compared to other Univs.
3. Does proximity to London really affect a university, being far from London will it have affect on placements and job scenario.
4. How are the professors, and lectures like, how fast and gruelling is the course and what are the assignments like.
5. How is the campus life, living condition.
6. How does it compare to other university such as Southampton, I have an offer from Southampton too for the same strategy and innovation MSc.

I've already had a crack at answering this, but you could try tagging someone else if you like.
Original post by Lily.manzur123
Can you tell me the name of the building where I will be studying nursing? Thanks!

I'm doing nursing their in September it's called baines wing
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Katieb1232002
I'm doing nursing their in September it's called baines wing

Nursing is in the Baines Wing? That seems weird, but if it's true then you poor people; that building is an absolute maze.
Nursing is in the Baines Wing? That seems weird, but if it's true then you poor people; that building is an absolute maze.

I found it a maze tbh when I had my interview 😂
I found it a maze tbh when I had my interview 😂

Ah right. Just because you had your interview there doesn't necessarily mean that's the building for nursing by the way :smile:
Ah right. Just because you had your interview there doesn't necessarily mean that's the building for nursing by the way :smile:

Well it does have, all the clinical skills stuff which would only need to be used by nursing and midwifery students well and allied health professionals but don't knows ere they go. When you Google it it says baines Wing is the school of health care as well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well it does have, all the clinical skills stuff which would only need to be used by nursing and midwifery students well and allied health professionals but don't knows ere they go. When you Google it it says baines Wing is the school of health care as well.

Maybe so then, I never knew :lol:
Maybe so then, I never knew :lol:

Just out of curiosity where did u think nursing students went and who uses baines Wing. Like
Not trying to be like rude
Just out of curiosity where did u think nursing students went and who uses baines Wing. Like
Not trying to be like rude

Well I'd assume one of the buildings down near the hospital, perhaps the Worsley Building. Baines Wing is often used as central teaching space and I've had a number of (law) seminars in there.
Reply 36
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@CatusStarbright - third year, Law with French Law
@aylee_ - current student, Law
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

i was wondering if you havent originally applied for a placement year can you still ask and get to do one once you are at the uni?
also, i dont know at all if this is true or not but i have heard that leeds has a lot of drug users and addicts like is full of crackheads, is that the case?
Original post by aye144
i was wondering if you havent originally applied for a placement year can you still ask and get to do one once you are at the uni?
also, i dont know at all if this is true or not but i have heard that leeds has a lot of drug users and addicts like is full of crackheads, is that the case?

Yes, you can for most courses, subject to your progress. Which course are you going into?

All universities have these sorts of people. There is a fair amount of the community which don't engage in drugs or even in alcohol.
Reply 38
Thank you! I’ve applied for Business marketing and management Do you know where they have their lectures?
Reply 39
Original post by aye144
Thank you! I’ve applied for Business marketing and management Do you know where they have their lectures?

Original post by RoyalSheepy
Yes, you can for most courses, subject to your progress. Which course are you going into?

All universities have these sorts of people. There is a fair amount of the community which don't engage in drugs or even in alcohol.

Also, as a student have you explored the city, is there a lot to do, do you ever get bored?

Quick Reply

Latest