The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am a current student at the University of Leeds - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aye144
Also, as a student have you explored the city, is there a lot to do, do you ever get bored?

And are the union or whoever helpful when it comes to a problem you have as in with accommodation or career etc
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by aye144
i was wondering if you havent originally applied for a placement year can you still ask and get to do one once you are at the uni?
also, i dont know at all if this is true or not but i have heard that leeds has a lot of drug users and addicts like is full of crackheads, is that the case?

Yes absolutely. You can transfer to a placement year or a year abroad during your second year (there are processes, but it's entirely doable). One of my close friends at uni applied for a year abroad and transferred to the LLB Law (International) or whatever they call it.

There is undoubtedly a group in any uni that enjoys taking drugs, and Leeds will be no different. I've never met any, I don't move in those circles, and the university takes a very dim view of drug-taking. Iit can potentially be grounds for your expulsion from the uni if you're caught.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@CatusStarbright - third year, Law with French Law
@aylee_ - current student, Law
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

What did you do for a level?
Original post by aye144
Thank you! I’ve applied for Business marketing and management Do you know where they have their lectures?

I'd imagine just central teaching space somewhere, like most courses. It really depends on size of module cohorts and availability of teaching space.

It's possible that the building that was being constructed last year to provide the Business School with more seminar rooms and which was to contain I think two(?) lecture theatres has now been finished while I've been away, so that's also a possibility.
Original post by Anonymous
What did you do for a level?

Law, French, English Literature, and Business to AS Level.
Original post by aye144
Also, as a student have you explored the city, is there a lot to do, do you ever get bored?

I love the city of Leeds, there's plenty of things to do with the actual university work, halls, with friends, city centre, gym, etc. Just make sure you sign up to a few societies.
Hi, I am a year 12 student hoping to study business management at Leeds. I was just wondering what is included in the price of rent and if wifi is included is it good strength genuinely. I am looking at Montague Burton at the minute but i understand if you haven't or if you don't know anyone who has stayed here it would be a bit hard to comment on it, just the wifi in general accommodation would help please :smile:
Hi,
I am currently a student in year 12, i am thinking about studying business management at the uni of Leeds, I was wondering what else is including in the price of rent in uni halls. Also if wifi is included, what is the strength like? I am currently taking a liking to Montague Burton, but i understand it may be hard to comment on this if you or people you know have not stayed here. So even the strength of wifi in uni halls overall would be helpful.
Thanks,
Original post by Alipricexo
Hi,
I am currently a student in year 12, i am thinking about studying business management at the uni of Leeds, I was wondering what else is including in the price of rent in uni halls. Also if wifi is included, what is the strength like? I am currently taking a liking to Montague Burton, but i understand it may be hard to comment on this if you or people you know have not stayed here. So even the strength of wifi in uni halls overall would be helpful.
Thanks,

Hello there :smile:

Rent covers all your bills, barring the TV license (but you can legally watch on a portable device not plugged into the mains without paying for a TV license), so yes, WiFi is included. The WiFi is generally good - it's not the fastest but I wouldn't describe it as slow either. My halls also offered ethernet cables for free, which I used for a slightly better connection and speed too, and I assume this is a standard practice across the university halls.

Hope this helps!
Reply 49
Hi, I was wondering if there are any music practice rooms available for non-music students. I play the piano and feel like i'd probably disturb my flatmates if I practice in my accommodation.
Original post by az78x6
Hi, I was wondering if there are any music practice rooms available for non-music students. I play the piano and feel like i'd probably disturb my flatmates if I practice in my accommodation.

LUU has nine music practice rooms: https://www.luu.org.uk/clubs-socs-info/book-a-space/, however I'm not sure if they contain a piano to be honest. The ones in the Music School are strictly for music students only I'm afraid.

I will also add that Lyddon Hall has a piano in the common room, and Devonshire Hall has two pianos in the foyer and JCR, as well as two music practice rooms (and there are music groups there too!). I'm not sure about other accommodations in all honesty.
Reply 51
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:

Do you know anyone who does a medical sciences degree there and knows what it's like?
Original post by Shafxx
Do you know anyone who does a medical sciences degree there and knows what it's like?

I don't I'm afraid. It could be worth having a look/putting a shoutout in this thread to see if there is anyone studying it in there. Even if they aren't from Leeds, they may be able to help depending on what information you're looking for.
Reply 53

---

this is the exact course im considering studying in a couple years so ive got a few questions:smile:
1. By the end of the course how good is your french meant to be?
2. What do you do on your year abroad?
3. I know you have not finished the course but do you know if its difficult to find work due to oversaturation in the field?
4. What is the LNAT like?
might think of some more later on but thank you!
Original post by robinrb
this is the exact course im considering studying in a couple years so ive got a few questions:smile:
1. By the end of the course how good is your french meant to be?
2. What do you do on your year abroad?
3. I know you have not finished the course but do you know if its difficult to find work due to oversaturation in the field?
4. What is the LNAT like?
might think of some more later on but thank you!

Amazing!

1. There's no real required standard that you have to/are supposed to reach, but you should be at least at B1 CEFR level to begin with (as you need an A at A Level which will put you at/around that level). I think I started at B1/2, was at B2 before my year abroad and I've now been assessed as at C1 level.
2. Study law! I've had free choice between all the modules in the law faculty, so I've enjoyed taking a whole range of subjects in a different legal system.
3. No doubt a legal career is competitive, but it's achievable if you have the right skills and drive. However, that's not the only career path open to law graduates. About 50% of law graduates go onto other things, e.g. journalism, finance, management, HR, and more besides.
4. It's tough, but just requires a little practice and an ability to think logically. These sorts of tests are also used in graduate recruitment (the common one is the Watson-Glaser), so I'm very used to this kind of test now.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 55
thank you !
Reply 56
Hey,

---

Hi,

Could you please tell me which chapters were on the reading list for Trusts in the Virgo textbook?

Thank you!
Original post by Jlaw179
Hey,

Hi,

Could you please tell me which chapters were on the reading list for Trusts in the Virgo textbook?

Thank you!

Absolutely no idea I'm afraid, as I'm doing Trusts next year. I'm not even sure which textbooks will be recommended; there is no online reading list available so it's possible everyone chooses their own textbook, as it has been with Torts.
There are a lot of International Students in Leeds, what courses do they mostly do ?
Original post by unexpecteduk
There are a lot of International Students in Leeds, what courses do they mostly do ?

Excellent question, and I don't think these statistics will be available. Anecdotally, there seems to be a lot of international students studying in the Business School (so business, management, finance, economics, etc.) and I think medicine has a lot of international students too. From my experience, languages tends to be mostly home students. Law seems to be about evenly split, though I could be statistically entirely wrong given I haven't met everyone. I don't know enough about the other departments/courses to pass any comment on those.

Quick Reply

Latest