The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am a current student at the University of Leeds - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Andrew97
Do you like laywer jokes?

Sometimes yes, but the ones that brand all lawyers as slimeballs grate. There are a lot of law students and practitioners who give up their time for good causes, not to mention that the job of lawyers is often to help people when they're in need of support, especially for criminal and family matters.
What is the work and social life balance like at uni for a law student?
Original post by Anonymous
What is the work and social life balance like at uni for a law student?

It's what you make of it really. It depends on how you want to manage your time and what your priorities are.
OMG the thread is still going and the OP is replying.
It my lucky day.
Anything you’d wish you would have know before law school?
And what are some things you would recommend people should do to prepare for it? X
Original post by Rose_symonia
OMG the thread is still going and the OP is replying.
It my lucky day.
Anything you’d wish you would have know before law school?
And what are some things you would recommend people should do to prepare for it? X

I think I'll keep replying for as long as I can, though if it gets too far in the future my information will be increasingly less relevant!

Good question. I'm not sure really, I think I was pretty prepared in many ways. Maybe I'd have liked to have known more food recipes, but I know that's a crappy answer. I think I would have liked to have known how to be more confident - this is something I've really developed over my time at uni but being more confident at the start may have helped. That being said, there's nothing in my earlier years at uni to say that it held me back.

To prepare I would recommend just preparing yourself what you're getting in for - know something about what legal study is like, and ensure you are ready to start. To be honest, all of the basic skills are taught anyway (or they are at Leeds) in the first semester/year so I'd say just come to uni motivated and ready to learn!
Original post by CatusStarbright
I think I'll keep replying for as long as I can, though if it gets too far in the future my information will be increasingly less relevant!

Good question. I'm not sure really, I think I was pretty prepared in many ways. Maybe I'd have liked to have known more food recipes, but I know that's a crappy answer. I think I would have liked to have known how to be more confident - this is something I've really developed over my time at uni but being more confident at the start may have helped. That being said, there's nothing in my earlier years at uni to say that it held me back.

To prepare I would recommend just preparing yourself what you're getting in for - know something about what legal study is like, and ensure you are ready to start. To be honest, all of the basic skills are taught anyway (or they are at Leeds) in the first semester/year so I'd say just come to uni motivated and ready to learn!

aww thank you for this x
Looks like Miss Rose will have to work on her confidence more then😎
Hey! (I know you’re a law student so I’m kinda pushing my luck with this question😅) but do you happen to know anyone studying the International History and Politics BA at Leeds? It looks like a brilliant degree and I’d love to get an insight from students who actually study it! If not that’s more than okay :smile:
Original post by Rose_symonia
aww thank you for this x
Looks like Miss Rose will have to work on her confidence more then😎

No worries!
I'd say there's no need since this was a particular point of note for me, but honestly I've learnt that a touch more confidence makes a world of difference, even if it's a case of 'fake it 'till you make it'. Obviously I'm not saying you should try to be something you're not of course, but I think there's nothing wrong with trying to be the best version of yourself!
Original post by justjas33
Hey! (I know you’re a law student so I’m kinda pushing my luck with this question😅) but do you happen to know anyone studying the International History and Politics BA at Leeds? It looks like a brilliant degree and I’d love to get an insight from students who actually study it! If not that’s more than okay :smile:

I'm afraid not, sorry to disappoint!
Reply 69
Hi, I am an international student planning to study foundation at Leeds University in coming year. Can you share your opinion on foundation course? Is it easy for foundation students to move to university? Thx.
Original post by Rojoin
Hi, I am an international student planning to study foundation at Leeds University in coming year. Can you share your opinion on foundation course? Is it easy for foundation students to move to university? Thx.

I haven't done a foundation course, but I know people who have. Generally a foundation course is taken as a step to an undergraduate degree, e.g. where you don't have the qualifications to begin a degree straightaway. They allow you to meet the entry requirements to take a degree basically.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@CatusStarbright - third year, Law with French Law
@aylee_ - current student, Law
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Why would you want to study law?
Given the account that asked the above question has now been banned, I won't bother asking them what sort of answer they were looking for.
Is it hard to become friends with the international students?
Is it hard to become friends with the international students?

I'd say not, but like with becoming friends with anyone, you need to make an effort to make those bonds :smile: From my course, I have a Bulgarian friend who I lived with last year, and I was fairly friendly with one of the Canadians who I used to occasionally meet for lunch with. Outside of my course, I was friendly with another Bulgarian student, I lived with two Chinese students in my first year halls, and I have made friends with a Hungarian Leeds student who I met in France (weirdly!) when we both went on one of the subsidised summer schools the university offers.
I’m questioning why this is on my watched threads. I kmow I asked a question about a week ago, but it was in there before that.
Original post by Andrew97
I’m questioning why this is on my watched threads. I kmow I asked a question about a week ago, but it was in there before that.

See post #2, Mr Gatecrasher!
What subjects can study aborad in South Korea ?
hi, what grades are required for law courses. do all law student travel abroad. I'm an international student and I was wondering if I would have people like me in university. what is their ACS like. thank u
What subjects can study aborad in South Korea ?

I don’t know, you’d have to browse the listings on the Study Abroad section of the website (or it may just be an internal list, I’m not sure).

Quick Reply

Latest