The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am a current student at the University of Leeds - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _mariamxx_
hi, what grades are required for law courses. do all law student travel abroad. I'm an international student and I was wondering if I would have people like me in university. what is their ACS like. thank u

AAA is the standard offer; have a look at equivalent for your qualification type as an international student. If you want to do law with a language then you need to have studied that language. Studying abroad is an option, and only a minority of law students do that.

Yes, Leeds has a strong representation of international students. What is ACS?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by CatusStarbright
AAA is the standard offer; have a look at equivalent for your qualification type as an international student. If you want to do law with a language then you need to have studied that language. Studying abroad is an option, and only a minority of law students do that.

Yes, Leeds has a strong representation of international students. What is ACS?

thank soo much for these answers. ACS is African Caribbean society thank u
Original post by _mariamxx_
thank soo much for these answers. ACS is African Caribbean society thank u

No worries!
Here is the link to our society: https://www.luu.org.uk/clubs-and-societies/browse-clubs-and-societies/african-caribbean-society/ . I think it's quite active, and there has certainly been previous collaboration between ACS and LawSoc before (one of LawSoc's committee members was involved in both and organised the joint event!).
What is the medical school like?

I am a bit worried about applying. I like Leeds, the course looks good, but then the medical school was in the news for having a l all white equality and inclusion panel, then students started a petition to get a lecturer fired.

Is this normal or is this just a few one off events?
Original post by MiniMonster
What is the medical school like?

I am a bit worried about applying. I like Leeds, the course looks good, but then the medical school was in the news for having a l all white equality and inclusion panel, then students started a petition to get a lecturer fired.

Is this normal or is this just a few one off events?

1. I don’t know personally, but the medics I know certainly seem to be enjoying their course.
2. I’ve googled this just now and it seems they said not everyone on the panel was there that day, plus they’ve since addressed criticism. I’d also add that these sorts of things are also attended voluntarily, so there may also have been a lack of BAME volunteers in the first place. The fact I never heard about this tells me it wasn’t a massive scandal.
3. Googled this petition thing too - it exists but there’s nothing else out there.
4. I’d definitely say one-off events!
(edited 3 years ago)
Yo, where is the chemtrail engineering department? is it hidden in an underground lab like it is at Cambridge?
Original post by Prefect1992
Yo, where is the chemtrail engineering department? is it hidden in an underground lab like it is at Cambridge?

Non-existent, just like chemtrails themselves.
1. I don’t know personally, but the medics I know certainly seem to be enjoying their course.
2. I’ve googled this just now and it seems they said not everyone on the panel was there that day, plus they’ve since addressed criticism. I’d also add that these sorts of things are also attended voluntarily, so there may also have been a lack of BAME volunteers in the first place. The fact I never heard about this tells me it wasn’t a massive scandal.
3. Googled this petition thing too - it exists but there’s nothing else out there.
4. I’d definitely say one-off events!

I found the open letter mentioned in the Newspaper bit..it mentions a few other issues (buts its long and seems to be a general whinge)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vNGf_lo7SPQJVG4Zhz6djpg7a0YChxpQojFGFueQAz0/viewform?fbclid=IwAR3eRSx0I2N2fCkZKJs1lgfHGMTppEgY4s67gUlxxpGmp9P6grQJkjkY3I4&edit_requested=true

Patients may also think the medical students are racist
https://www.careopinion.org.uk/777780

On one hand the BLM movement has made everyone more vocal about racism, so I should not expect Leeds medical school to be exempt, on the other hand I am worried that if there was a racism problem an all white teaching staff might not have the best solutions
Original post by MiniMonster
I found the open letter mentioned in the Newspaper bit..it mentions a few other issues (buts its long and seems to be a general whinge)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vNGf_lo7SPQJVG4Zhz6djpg7a0YChxpQojFGFueQAz0/viewform?fbclid=IwAR3eRSx0I2N2fCkZKJs1lgfHGMTppEgY4s67gUlxxpGmp9P6grQJkjkY3I4&edit_requested=true

Patients may also think the medical students are racist
https://www.careopinion.org.uk/777780

On one hand the BLM movement has made everyone more vocal about racism, so I should not expect Leeds medical school to be exempt, on the other hand I am worried that if there was a racism problem an all white teaching staff might not have the best solutions

I don't really know what to say except that you have to make your own mind up about where you want to study, nobody else can do that for you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Non-existent, just like chemtrails themselves.

Chemtrails are real

Source: I am Jeff Bezos's senior chemtrail engineer
Reply 90
Hey, does the university have a local GP/healthcare centre that most students sign up to? Was trying to look on the website but couldn't see it mentioned
Original post by 2014FHD
Hey, does the university have a local GP/healthcare centre that most students sign up to? Was trying to look on the website but couldn't see it mentioned

Hey there, yes we do! It's called the Leeds Student Medical Practice, and it's located just a road over from campus so it is really conveniently located. I am registered there - as are most students - and from my (albeit limited) interactions with the practice, it does offer good service. It's the place I would recommend registering with.
Hey, which accom would you recommend for first year medical students. I'd prefer ensuite and not too far from the university and gym if possible, and sociable of course.
is there acc beef between uni of n beckett students
Original post by MoStacko
Hey, which accom would you recommend for first year medical students. I'd prefer ensuite and not too far from the university and gym if possible, and sociable of course.

The Tannery tends to be pretty popular with medical students as it’s close to the medical school (and close to The Edge, the sports centre, too). I’d imagine there are en-suite rooms there but you’ll have to check!
Original post by Libbyc16
is there acc beef between uni of n beckett students

No, not really. I’d say there’s friendly rivalry at Varsity, and most of the stuff we say about each other is just joking and banter.
Reply 96
Could you tell me a bit about the accommodation? I want to have a really fun and sociable time in first year, but at the same time like the occasional bit of peace and quiet. Right now I quite like the look of Henry Price and Leodis. I was also looking at James Bailie but I've heard it's super oversubscribed and the most druggy so I'm not really sure if it's the right place for me.
Original post by juliet0208
Could you tell me a bit about the accommodation? I want to have a really fun and sociable time in first year, but at the same time like the occasional bit of peace and quiet. Right now I quite like the look of Henry Price and Leodis. I was also looking at James Bailie but I've heard it's super oversubscribed and the most druggy so I'm not really sure if it's the right place for me.

Accommodation characteristics are often talked about, but honestly it depends on the people that are in there that year. When you apply for accommodation, you get to express some preferences relating to personality which is used to aid allocation (or at least that was the case when I applied in 2017).

I wouldn't imagine James Baillie is that oversubscribed (or oversubscribed at all) given it's one of the accommodations further away from campus. The really oversubscribed ones are the on-campus ones. I have heard tales about drug usage over there, but then again I had a friend of a friend there who was not involved in that at all and really liked where she lived. I thought it was decent when I visited. I've heard good things about Leodis, but I don't really know much about Henry Price I'm afraid.
Original post by helpfullonee
Hi! I’m going to be starting at the University of Leeds this September but my circumstances are a bit odd. I will be starting from the 2nd year of my course (Medicine) so I’m worried I won’t be able to make many friends. I understand I can join societies and what not, but I’m generally a shy person and I’d like friends who I could hang out with outside of societies too - so far, in the societies I was in at my previous university, no one ever really spoke to each other outside of society events. What would you recommend I do? I’m just worried I won’t fit in, especially since I dislike going to parties/clubs as well.

Hey there!

I think you’ll be okay with making friends. All the medics I’ve met have been friendly and I’m sure you’ll find people to hang out with! Are you going to be living in student accommodation or private rental?
hii, where do you think is the best place to apply for accommodation at UoLeeds?

Quick Reply

Latest