The Student Room Group
You could apply through the Special Access Scheme though I don't quite understand what you mean by applying for Spanish and Arabic.
Reply 2
Contact some college admissions offices, or the central Cambridge Admissions Office. No-one on here is qualified to give you the reliable advice you need for this.
Reply 3
thomaskurian89
though I don't quite understand what you mean by applying for Spanish and Arabic.

...and this is partly what I mean by saying we're not qualified to give you reliable, definitive advice.

For future reference, there are ways to study these two languages.
Reply 4
I emailed the admissions office and all they did was send me the link to the CSAS info on their website.
Reply 5
bewilderment
Come September, I will be entering into Year 13 with AS results of AABC in the subjects I wish to continue to A2 level. However, owing to personal circumstances I feel I have underacheived. Without going into too much detail, I currently live with my mother and brother, who is on a much lower than average salary and we are consequently receiving financial help from the government. Additionally, 2 weeks prior to my first AS exam our landlord threatened to kick us out of the property as a result of outstanding backpayment on the rent. Also, previously my father was sentenced to serve time in prison and since I have had to seek counselling in order to cope with both the aforementioned situations as well as other issues which are thought to have stemmed from these. I was wondering if it would be worth applying to Cambridge through the Special Access Scheme for Spanish and Arabic.

Despite the circumstances I am an extremely dedicated and motivated student with a great passion for languages and despite my attempts to prevent the circumstances getting the better of me, I feel as though they have acted as an unfortunate hinderence.

Any help greatly appreciated :smile: Thank you

hey:smile: im in a pretty similar position to you...got AABC (major underperformance), applying for languages, and have a huge massive long list of things that happened last year with my family and is still happening now, so i was considering CSAS but im not sure.
i think you should apply through it, it sounds as if you've had a lot of **** to deal with and besides, your teachers only have to fill in an extra form and mention stuff in your reference. i think, anyway.
Reply 6
Thanks clozet :smile:
There's no way that Cambridge could say "so-and-so's situations not bad enough for the SAS" and completely disregard the applicant altogether is there?
Reply 7
bewilderment
Thanks clozet :smile:
There's no way that Cambridge could say "so-and-so's situations not bad enough for the SAS" and completely disregard the applicant altogether is there?

honestly, i've no idea. but the whole point of CSAS is widening application, so if the alternative is you dont apply at all, i doubt that would happen. they'd have to at least consider you. i mean, who are they to judge how badly your exams were affected by your personal circumstances?

what were your subjects, and what grades were in what?
is there any equivalent of the special access scheme for overseas students?
Reply 9
French (A), Spanish (A), Religious Studies(B) but I'm going to get that remarked, Economics(D) and Critical Thinking(C). Dropping economics and CT is unfortunately compulsory. How about you? What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 10
I want to do French and Italian or Spanish (havent properly decided) and I got French (A) German (A) Eng Lit (B - 10 marks off an A, got a c in one module so retaking!!) and History (C - one mark off a B!! was totally horrified at this result cos i was predicted an A, got As in all the timed practices etc, and then managed to really screw up the exam!! it sucked a lot.) So im not in the best position to apply to Cambridge, but i dont really care - i'm going to apply anyway and see what happens. i really cba to waste my time worrying about UMS and grades, just going to retake a couple modules and hope i get into another equally good uni. if cambridge want me tho, i'll firm them :p:
My knowledge isn't 100% up to date, so I will try and double check when I get back to you but in the mean time.....

Talk to your current school/college about it all, because realistically you'll need them to support your application. CSAS is for people who have had their studies adversely affected by factors beyond their control, and it sounds like you may well fall into that category. Which college did you email if you don't mind me asking? You may find some are more helpful than others. If your school/college are willing to support it then I'd say you might as well apply through CSAS, it won't do your application any harm and the worst case is that they decide you don't qualify for it and treat you as a standard applicant.
Reply 12
Thank you for that Scary Monster :smile: Looks as though providing my school are willing to help, I've got nothing to lose.
I didn't email a college, just the general admissions office. Shall I email a college as well?
It might be worth contacting a couple of colleges's admissions tutors as well as the general one. While the central one is good, the college ones are sometimes more helpful as they are the ones who actually deal with the day to day business of admissions.
Reply 14
Scary Monster
It might be worth contacting a couple of colleges's admissions tutors as well as the general one. While the central one is good, the college ones are sometimes more helpful as they are the ones who actually deal with the day to day business of admissions.

Yep. :smile:
bewliderment

They wouldn't disregard you as a result of your having applied through CSAS; but if they feel your case isn't particularly strong, and therefore your grades are just not good enough, they may consider that your application as a whole isn't strong enough, just like for any other applicant.
The point of CSAS is not to make a weak application strong; rather, it is to provide a bit of a buffer around one or two specific things (whether a whole exam session, or a particular subject), so that they alone don't adversely affect your application. That is to say, if your CSAS-related things are CSAS-'worthy', and the rest of your application is very promising (i.e. comparable with all other good applicants), you will stand as good a chance as everyone else in admissions.
I haven't got time to reply properly, but at the end of the day, if you apply CSAS, and they dont feel you are eligible for CSAS, then they will just ignore it.
bewilderment
Come September, I will be entering into Year 13 with AS results of AABC in the subjects I wish to continue to A2 level. However, owing to personal circumstances I feel I have underacheived. Without going into too much detail, I currently live with my mother and brother, who is on a much lower than average salary and we are consequently receiving financial help from the government. Additionally, 2 weeks prior to my first AS exam our landlord threatened to kick us out of the property as a result of outstanding backpayment on the rent. Also, previously my father was sentenced to serve time in prison and since I have had to seek counselling in order to cope with both the aforementioned situations as well as other issues which are thought to have stemmed from these. I was wondering if it would be worth applying to Cambridge through the Special Access Scheme for Spanish and Arabic.

Despite the circumstances I am an extremely dedicated and motivated student with a great passion for languages and despite my attempts to prevent the circumstances getting the better of me, I feel as though they have acted as an unfortunate hinderence.

Any help greatly appreciated :smile: Thank you

My advice is to e-mail the college you want to apply to, tell them about your personal circumstances and ask if CSAS is appropriate for you.

CSAS covers everything from poor teaching (it was recommended by Peterhouse that I apply through CSAS for this reason) to disruption in your personal life (death of a close family member, housing troubles, domestic abuse, etc) and illness that affected study.

All you can do is ask. Any college worth their salt should help you make this decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending