The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

So I literally do not have ANY work experience. I was supposed to do some volunteering over the summer but due to COVID, it was cancelled. I don't what to put in my personal statement.

Is anyone else in this situation, and can someone please tell me what I could do?
Original post by Anonymous
So I literally do not have ANY work experience. I was supposed to do some volunteering over the summer but due to COVID, it was cancelled. I don't what to put in my personal statement.

Is anyone else in this situation, and can someone please tell me what I could do?

Hey!

Don't worry, I was in the exact same situation and still got into my firm choice! I know this depends on the degree you want to pursue, but when I wrote my personal statement, I chose to focus more on what drives my interest in the course I was applying to (which was Politics & Philosophy), how I became passionate about this field and why. Also, try to think of the projects you may have been involved in over the past years and see if they are related in any way to what you want to study or whether you learnt anything valuable and relevant from those experiences.

I hope this helps!

Andreea
3rd year student
BA Politics & Philosophy
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey!

Don't worry, I was in the exact same situation and still got into my firm choice! I know this depends on the degree you want to pursue, but when I wrote my personal statement, I chose to focus more on what drives my interest in the course I was applying to (which was Politics & Philosophy), how I became passionate about this field and why. Also, try to think of the projects you may have been involved in over the past years and see if they are related in any way to what you want to study or whether you learnt anything valuable and relevant from those experiences.

I hope this helps!

Andreea
3rd year student
BA Politics & Philosophy

Thank you so much! :h:
What subject are you applying for?

For some subjects, like medicine, volunteering or work experience is really important. For others, it’s much less relevant.
Reply 4
Original post by Desideri
What subject are you applying for?

For some subjects, like medicine, volunteering or work experience is really important. For others, it’s much less relevant.

I was thinking on applying for education/teacher related degrees or nursing
I was thinking on applying for education/teacher related degrees or nursing

Hi there!

Current student here, I study Orthoptics at the University of Sheffield which is in the whelm of allied health care courses. I have had a lot of messages from students who are feeling the exact same way as you regarding work experience. Honestly don't worry! The admissions tutors fully understand the circumstances of this year and wouldn't use this against you. Tutors in the University are struggling to get current students on placements due to Covid so they wouldn't expect anyone to have work experience as it's really difficult to get at the moment. My best advice would be to think about what skills you have already. Do you have any non specific work experience or a job that you could be relevant to the course you are applying for such as working with younger/elderly people? The admissions tutors are looking for your passion for the course and if it is health care/education based they want to see you know what is expected of you in the profession such as NHS values and code of conduct etc. Again don't worry, everyone is in the same position! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending