The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Are invites to visit followed by offers?!

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could please please give me some advice?!
I've applied to Cardiff to do Applied Psychology, and I got a letter in the post this morning saying that I am not required for interview, but that Cardiff would like me to come to visit the psychology department on 16/02/05. It also says that UCAS will inform me of their decision shortly (however of course it's now Christmas and I don't expect UCAS will be telling me anything soon) but I don't understand why Cardiff couldn't tell me!
Has anyone else had any of these letters regarding a departmental visit, and did you get an offer from Cardiff?
I'm rather confused as to why they'd want me to trek over to Wales to visit them if they haven't offered me a place!!!
I'd really appreciate any feedback or advise anyone has to offer.
Many thanks, and happy Christmas!
anna
Reply 1
I applied for Integrated Engineering and was invited for a short interview with a whole open day...before the interviews took place we had a presentation by the engineering department ine which the head of engineering said that 99% of us will be getting offers and thats why we were invited....it must have been a way to sell cardiff as a place to study, and I don't think the interview held much importance...was very short....15 mins...same old questions...."why engineering? why cardiff? why this course? etc etc etc"

So I would say yes....it will most probably lead to you getting an offer by the looks of it...if your eally don't wanna go then I guess you could ask them if it were ok if you didn't come...no harm in asking them yourself...and also depends on where you place cardiff on your own list? is it one of your top choices? if it is then thhis is a perfect chance for you to visit the place and get shown around. :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks muchly for getting back to me so quickly :smile:
This is the problem; Cardiff is at the top of my list! I REALLY want to go, the course is perfect for me as it has a placement year, and I love the city. I had been convinced that i wouldn't get an offer (required grades AAA), and didn't want to get my hopes up for no reason following that letter this morning. Thank you for the reassurance. i'll keep my fingers crossed!
By the way, does anyone know if UCAS stops updating over Christmas and if so, for how long?
My friend applied for Environmental Geoscience at Cardiff and they sent her a letter saying that they intended to offer her a place, but she had to go to an open day and have an "informal interview." She got an offer...
Reply 4
stressed anna!
Thanks muchly for getting back to me so quickly :smile:
This is the problem; Cardiff is at the top of my list! I REALLY want to go, the course is perfect for me as it has a placement year, and I love the city. I had been convinced that i wouldn't get an offer (required grades AAA), and didn't want to get my hopes up for no reason following that letter this morning. Thank you for the reassurance. i'll keep my fingers crossed!
By the way, does anyone know if UCAS stops updating over Christmas and if so, for how long?

no worries anna...go to cardiff and enjoy the day...hopefully all works out and who knows i may see you at cardiff next year...although im not sure where cardiff is on my own list...still have to visit warwick and nottingham...and awaiting news from durham and bristol!
:biggrin:
I got a letter saying:

'We hope you accept our offer and make us your first choice. Come to an English department open day!'

before I knew I had an offer... but I went onto the UCAS website and it had updated the night before with an offer.

I hope you get the offer you want :smile:
I got a letter today asking me to go to the Psychology Open day on the 16/2. I'd prefer to do Maths and Psychology but its my first choice out of those ive applied to do Psychology at.
Reply 7
I got an offer yesterday, 3 weeks after getting an invite to the open day, phew! Just thought i'd put it up here in case anyone else was being baffled by invites to departmental open days before they'd heard anything about an offer.
Reply 8
Yes they are.
Reply 9
i got an offer to visit the law dept and then a few days later had an offer via ucas. Anyone going to the open day at cardiff, 16th March?

Whats law like at cardiff??
my sister is doing law at cardiff and though it is really hard, there are only 6 lectures a week so you get plenty of time to relax!
that sounds good....not very many tho! its lookin more and more like i mite b goin cardiff as the other unis are takin long to get back to me and i thinks its cos they dont like me or something...not that i mind...lookin 4ward to havin a look round on the 16th...and wales is cheap.....how much is a pint in wales...cardiff?

Latest

Trending

Trending