The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TheBrightShadow
oh very nice another QM politics person :smile:
i always thought RH trumped QM in the arts?

No Qm fares well for politics ranking above Liverpool and Manchester and on par with SOAS. A good 20 places above RHUL, above Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Loughborough.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Politics&x=34&y=5&sub=52

:smile: It also has a good reputation for English and Drama.

It's above Kings in the english subject league tables.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=English&x=47&y=18&sub=

The Uni has had a lot of money spent on it this year and hopefully this will reflect in what tupe of people we get coming here.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
what exactly did they spend all the money on?
Reply 22
TheBrightShadow
what exactly did they spend all the money on?

Despite the new bar and gym which will hike up student satisfaction, they have spent money eveywhere you look, you see little bits that have been improved. The library has new study areas etc etc.
Reply 23
i agree QMUL should be top 25, especially when you take into account the quality of research. But i think this is the case for SOAS, RHUL and Goldsmiths as well. UoL really is a national gem, and i hold all the colleges in verey high regard.

Only those in the know will see that QMUL punches above its weight like me, i turned down leicester, Glasgow and SOAS to go there.
Reply 24
I think it's because QM is a very good uni, with some excellent departments, but they stick to their 'People Palace' routes, by giving access to education to EVERYONE. i.e. they let people in who miss their entry requirements, by a long shot. i.e. were supposed to get ABB and got BCC. But they still let them in!

This damages the entry tarriff that is used to calculate league tables etc for the rest of us.

They are also in debt so I've heard, so a lot of the spending has ceased, although I'm not sure whether that is true or not.

I think QM does deserve a top 25 place anyhow, and hopefully, next year, it'll have jumped up a bit. Make sure you rate it highly in student satisfaction!!
Mainly because alot of people get in with 'low' grades.

Some departments aren't great, others are like Politics, History, Law, English, Languages, Physics, Med, Dentistry etc.

On average I'd say most QM student have BBB A levels upon entry, though for some subjects like Geography you'll see people with BCD/CCD etc.

End of the day, its all about the degree classification you get.
I turned down UCL to go to QMUL.

I only needed BBC to get into French and I got AABc, but I'm still glad I turned UCL down. I'd rather go to a university with a friendly atmosphere and staff who care more about their students than their reputation.
will the fact that the place where medicine and dentistry are taught have become independent affect QM in the new tables?
Reply 28
TheBrightShadow
will the fact that the place where medicine and dentistry are taught have become independent affect QM in the new tables?

Probably not.
Indeed.. Massive improvements on the go at Queen Mary as well. I think it's almost like.. lag, where it takes time for people to realise the improvement being made to bolster its OVERALL ranking. In terms of research and facilities for students it's putting itself right up there now :smile:

TheBrightShadow

No, in the RAE the SMD are part of Queen Mary as a whole and I see no reason why this would ever change for the trashy newspaper league tables.
Reply 30
I think it's because they accept students from both ends of the 'academic spectrum', for example, they take in students that get 300 ucas points and above but they also take those that pass a diploma or btec..but I'm just guessing here :cookie:

It's also seems like a fun uni - a place where you can get easily distracted :cheers:
Reply 31
The new principle wants to set a target place in the league tables (top 25) whereas the last principle didn't really care so long as research and general quality were improving. So expect to see it jump up over the next few years as the uni tweaks it's policies to fit the league table criteria.

It's already top 15 in RAE scores. I wish people wouldn't bump old topics though...
I'd imagine with the 2008-2011 Capital programme which will see a new Humanities building, as well as the total refurbishment of the Maths and Biological & Chemical Sciences buildings amongst other things and the subsequent increase in new facilities that the entire uni will get a reputation for being new and whatnot which seems to attract students.

At the end of the day QMUL is in East central London far away from the hub of the University of London, so it's quite important that it stands out here. The recent ranking of 11th place in the RAE and entry requirements which continue to rise, especially in English, History, etc, and the new SU and gym are all signs that the College's reputation is only on the up.

At the moment parts of the campus look like a building site, though hopefully in two years time we should see the positive results of that :biggrin:
Reply 33
I wonder if they'll do anything with what remains of the graveyard, thats a big old chunk of land they could something interesting in. Can't wait for the new Humanities department next year mind, I'm sick of having seminar groups in lecture theatres and the noisest classrooms known to man (Bancroft Road right by building work and a main road).
ajp100688
I wonder if they'll do anything with what remains of the graveyard, thats a big old chunk of land they could something interesting in. Can't wait for the new Humanities department next year mind, I'm sick of having seminar groups in lecture theatres and the noisest classrooms known to man (Bancroft Road right by building work and a main road).

Which one?

We already bulldozed the one next to the library in the 1970s, tbh I'd say the least we can do is leave the remnants to rest in peace!

Though I have heard a rumour that QM bought that old car showroom across the road...I wonder what they plan to do with it...:holmes:
Reply 35
Democracy
Which one?

We already bulldozed the one next to the library in the 1970s, tbh I'd say the least we can do is leave the remnants to rest in peace!

Though I have heard a rumour that QM bought that old car showroom across the road...I wonder what they plan to do with it...:holmes:

The remenants of the one you walk alongside of when you're walking from the Curve to Francis Bancroft/Library Square, you could probably fit another academic building into that space or use it to expand the library into. The thing is they're all a load of jewish graves from like the late 19th/early 20th century, I doubt any of their families even live nearby these days what with the changes the East End has undergone. So as long as the remains are treated with respect when they're moved to another cemetry I don't really see any problems with it personally.

You know when I first came here I was thinking that they should buy that car showroom, it looks like a total ******* across the road from the uni and would be an ideal place to expand.
Reply 36
SuperSam_Fantastiche
I turned down UCL to go to QMUL.

I only needed BBC to get into French and I got AABc, but I'm still glad I turned UCL down. I'd rather go to a university with a friendly atmosphere and staff who care more about their students than their reputation.

I've heard so many people say that. They went to UCL and hated it, and said that people tended to force themselves to like it because of the reputation.
ajp100688
The remenants of the one you walk alongside of when you're walking from the Curve to Francis Bancroft/Library Square, you could probably fit another academic building into that space or use it to expand the library into. The thing is they're all a load of jewish graves from like the late 19th/early 20th century, I doubt any of their families even live nearby these days what with the changes the East End has undergone. So as long as the remains are treated with respect when they're moved to another cemetry I don't really see any problems with it personally.

You know when I first came here I was thinking that they should buy that car showroom, it looks like a total ******* across the road from the uni and would be an ideal place to expand.

Jewish graveyard has a 999 year lease on that plot of land. It is not owned by QM, nor will it be in the forseable future.
Reply 38
Mr. Mortell
Jewish graveyard has a 999 year lease on that plot of land. It is not owned by QM, nor will it be in the forseable future.

Unless they sell it :wink: but I didn't know that bit wasn't college owned, weird, have you ever actually seen someone visiting it?
ajp100688
Unless they sell it :wink: but I didn't know that bit wasn't college owned, weird, have you ever actually seen someone visiting it?

Tours take place during holidays and weekends in both that cemetery and also the Velho one iirc.

Latest

Trending

Trending