The Student Room Group

Investment Banking/Trading/Hedge Fund after ACA?

Hey guys..been thinking about long term career..going to start the ACA soon..obviously there are many opportunities after the ACA but would like to end up in banking, or using accounting and financial analysis to make investments!

What are the chances of this happening?

Would you start at the first year analyst trainee level?

Anyone heard of this happening before?

Thanks!..need to plan ahead and find out how to maximise my chances! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What are the chances of this happening?

A good chance. The ACA gives you a broad set of skills and is well respected.

Would you start at the first year analyst trainee level?

I think you would start at an associate level (I would be glad if someone more knowledgeable could confirm this). But you would have some kind initial training, probably technical in order to familiarize with the technical aspects of the job.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

It is common for newly qualified ACAs to make the move from whatever industry they are in to banking. I don't know about trading or hedge funds though.
Do you have a more specific idea of what you want to do, Investment Banking/Trading/Hedge Fund is a very wide term. Either way the ACA will be a positive qualification, plenty of people who work in the areas you mentioned possess it.
First of all I think ACA is a great qulification and is a definite plus, but the only downside I see with possessing ACA is that you'll be asked why you particularly want to work in banking as opposed as an accountant (as ACA is an accountancy qualification).
uthinkilltellu
First of all I think ACA is a great qulification and is a definite plus, but the only downside I see with possessing ACA is that you'll be asked why you particularly want to work in banking as opposed as an accountant (as ACA is an accountancy qualification).

I was thinking about this question too, but then there can be many reasons right? A career change, more interest in the finance aspect of the qualification, dynamic environment of trading etc.
Reply 5
Some firms such as KBC have accounting roles where you value securities etc and have input in what the company invests in..something like that would be great..not just a finance role in a bank, which i think alot of ACAs go to?!

What kind of roles do accountants do then?..i can think of 2..preparing accounts and checking accounts (audit)!..im thinking accountants must be very useful when analysing financial statements for example, and they can be more accurate in judging the companys financial position..because companys are good at manipulating their accounts!..I remember one of my lecturers does this in her spare time..this would be the ideal role!
there are a handful of ACA holders in ER here at GS - so if by banking your also incorporating this sector, then by all means you stand a brilliant chance

any man/women who can pass the ACA/CFA first-time without re-sits I have great respect for, the sheer volume of information one has to learn does not make it an easy thing to achieve
confused?
Some firms such as KBC have accounting roles where you value securities etc and have input in what the company invests in..something like that would be great..not just a finance role in a bank, which i think alot of ACAs go to?!

What kind of roles do accountants do then?..i can think of 2..preparing accounts and checking accounts (audit)!..im thinking accountants must be very useful when analysing financial statements for example, and they can be more accurate in judging the companys financial position..because companys are good at manipulating their accounts!..I remember one of my lecturers does this in her spare time..this would be the ideal role!

ACAs can fullfil roles, not just audit. Examples include consultancy like you mentioned for KBC but not just audit. You can also do corporate finance after you qualify. ACA is general though so instead you can do the Corporate Finance Qualification or CFQ for short (also from ICAEW). It is more specialized but not as respected in my opinion.
Inter-Company
there are a handful of ACA holders in ER here at GS - so if by banking your also incorporating this sector, then by all means you stand a brilliant chance

any man/women who can pass the ACA/CFA first-time without re-sits I have great respect for, the sheer volume of information one has to learn does not make it an easy thing to achieve

Only at ER? Do you know about trading?
Reply 9
ACA has zero relevance to trading so it's unlikely ACA is ever used as a springboard into a trading role - there may be one or two that have made the jump but they'll be people who had the credetials to be a trader before taking on the ACA(perhaps they didn't know trading even existed when they started their ACA?).
The Dark Side
Only at ER? Do you know about trading?

I haven't seen any in trading (but by all means I haven't met every single trader in the firm obviously)

I have met quite a number though and (as I was considering the ACA/CFA route as one of my back-up options should I not get a FT offer), I would always ask if there were traders who came from an ACA/CFA at a Big4 background and the answer was no

Therefore in terms of spider-tree effects (i.e. although I ask 1 trader, he knows x number of traders and continue this with a number of traders I had the chance to meet with etc) it has grounding

The general response I would get was, no in trading (although there may definitely be some at other firms or even at GS), but a resounding yes in ER - there is also a guy in the Pharma division of IBD who did a CFA at KPMG CF (but KPMG tend to be the most respected out of the Big4 with the banks, or here at GS anyways, as they lead in Audit (yes I know PwC has the largest market share in the UK, but that is b/c they had an advantage in being the first to form from the what is now, the Big4, and there loosing market share fast as others have formed and shown there excellence et al) and their CF in particular)

If you can get a firm to sponsor your ACA/CFA, it's definately a excellent route to take into IB if the traditional one fails (+ you get a valuable qualification on your side)
Inter-Company
I haven't seen any in trading (but by all means I haven't met every single trader in the firm obviously)

I have met quite a number though and (as I was considering the ACA/CFA route as one of my back-up options should I not get a FT offer), I would always ask if there were traders who came from an ACA/CFA at a Big4 background and the answer was no

Therefore in terms of spider-tree effects (i.e. although I ask 1 trader, he knows x number of traders and continue this with a number of traders I had the chance to meet with etc) it has grounding

The general response I would get was, no in trading (although there may definitely be some at other firms or even at GS), but a resounding yes in ER - there is also a guy in the Pharma division of IBD who did a CFA at KPMG CF (but KPMG tend to be the most respected out of the Big4 with the banks, or here at GS anyways, as they lead in Audit (yes I know PwC has the largest market share in the UK, but that is b/c they had an advantage in being the first to form from the what is now, the Big4, and there loosing market share fast as others have formed and shown there excellence et al) and their CF in particular)

If you can get a firm to sponsor your ACA/CFA, it's definately a excellent route to take into IB if the traditional one fails (+ you get a valuable qualification on your side)

I am planning to do an internship with an investment bank if I can but after I graduate I want to do the ACA as it will give me many opportunities as well as more job security. I would love to hear from you if you meet any traders who have the ACA qualification. :yep:
Will you sponsor yourself? Or will you join a big4/ finance dept of a bank, and after completing ACA move onto pastures new?
uthinkilltellu
Will you sponsor yourself? Or will you join a big4/ finance dept of a bank, and after completing ACA move onto pastures new?

I don't think I can sponsor myself :s-smilie: so I want to join a big 4. I always wanted to work for either an investment bank or the big 4 anyway. PwC offers sponsorship for the ACA qualification in its corporate finance division which I would love to join. :biggrin: Do you know whether ACAs join investment banks as associates or analysts under good market conditions?
Reply 14
ACAs enter as 3rd year analysts or 1st year Associates. Also agree with Inter-Company - there are loads of ACA guys in ER. Would say the majority who make it into FO roles after ACA go to ER or IBD. Never heard of any going to trading from my experience.
FHM and Inter-Company, thanks for the information. :smile:
Reply 16
The Dark Side
A good chance. The ACA gives you a broad set of skills and is well respected.

I think you would start at an associate level (I would be glad if someone more knowledgeable could confirm this). But you would have some kind initial training, probably technical in order to familiarize with the technical aspects of the job.

It is common for newly qualified ACAs to make the move from whatever industry they are in to banking. I don't know about trading or hedge funds though.

I am that person and yes you do start at associate level after doing an ACA from one of the big 4 in London. I have people become traders after the ACA (rare) but the more common path is into IBD as all the valuation knowledge you get is good from M&A. Lots of PE guys did a ACA at some point earlier in their careers. Couple of bad points, it takes 3 years of hard work plus you'll never get a bird as you're an accountant!
My $0.02
I am that person and yes you do start at associate level after doing an ACA from one of the big 4 in London. I have people become traders after the ACA (rare) but the more common path is into IBD as all the valuation knowledge you get is good from M&A. Lots of PE guys did a ACA at some point earlier in their careers. Couple of bad points, it takes 3 years of hard work plus you'll never get a bird as you're an accountant!

Oh come on... :rolleyes:
I know of 1 trader who did the ACA first.

And then as a trader, he started as a very old grad. Still earned more money.

Very useful then.
Reply 19
The Dark Side
Oh come on... :rolleyes:

Just making you aware of the banter that flows between us market's guys and accountants.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending