The Student Room Group

Official University of Bath POSTGRADUATE Applicant Chat

Hi there!

This is a thread for all postgraduate applicants to the University of Bath. I'll be around to answer any questions you might have about postgraduate study or student life at Bath. Otherwise, post your prospective course down below and use this as a space to meet other applicants!

Meg
Msc Applied Clinical Psychology
Reply 1
Original post by University of Bath Postgraduate
Hi there!

This is a thread for all postgraduate applicants to the University of Bath. I'll be around to answer any questions you might have about postgraduate study or student life at Bath. Otherwise, post your prospective course down below and use this as a space to meet other applicants!

Meg

Hi,

I am an applicant for the MSc Applied Clinical Psychology. I wanted to ask you when I should expect a response from bath? I've sent off my application on the 9th of feb so it's only been for 4 weeks. Do you think I'll get a response in the 6 weeks time frame? How are you enjoying the course? I've applied to UCL as well (no response yet though) and I've gotten an offer from Royal Holloway (currently doing my undergrad in Psych there). Would love to hear more about the course at bath from a current student!:smile:
Original post by Isik98
Hi,

I am an applicant for the MSc Applied Clinical Psychology. I wanted to ask you when I should expect a response from bath? I've sent off my application on the 9th of feb so it's only been for 4 weeks. Do you think I'll get a response in the 6 weeks time frame? How are you enjoying the course? I've applied to UCL as well (no response yet though) and I've gotten an offer from Royal Holloway (currently doing my undergrad in Psych there). Would love to hear more about the course at bath from a current student!:smile:

Hi @Isik98!

Thanks for the message and congrats on sending off the application!

So I believe I got my response around 6 weeks after sending the application, so hopefully you'll hear soon! I'm really enjoying the course, particularly how all the coursework is applied to practice, such as case work, interview analyses, and critical reviews, rather than all just essays! We have a variety of classes on loads of different topics and the course is very interactive, so there's always an opportunity to meet others (even if virtually)! Currently, we have about 10 contact hours per week but obviously it's all online at the moment.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have about the course or about student life at Bath!

Thanks so much!
Meg
Hi Meg, I'm kate, an international applicant for the MSc Applied Clinical Psychology course (i havent got response yet tho) and i would like to ask some questions about the course. I couldnt find any specific information about the lectures or lecture name on the school homepage(for example, clinical psychology, psychological assessment etc.) so i was wondering what are mandatory/optional lectures that students takes. Also i'm wondering if there is any placement opportunity open for the course student and how many students in the course. Thank you very much for your time!
Original post by Katie29443
Hi Meg, I'm kate, an international applicant for the MSc Applied Clinical Psychology course (i havent got response yet tho) and i would like to ask some questions about the course. I couldnt find any specific information about the lectures or lecture name on the school homepage(for example, clinical psychology, psychological assessment etc.) so i was wondering what are mandatory/optional lectures that students takes. Also i'm wondering if there is any placement opportunity open for the course student and how many students in the course. Thank you very much for your time!

Hi Kate! Congrats on sending in the application and hoping you'll hear back soon!

So here's a list of the compulsory modules for the course:

PS50181 - Fundamentals of Clinical and Health Psychology
PS50182 - Fundamentals of Clinical Psychology Practice
PS50184 - Applied Clinical Psychology Dissertation
PS50188 - Advanced Research Design Methods
PS50197 - Professional Skills Development

Happy to explain the sort of content we cover in each module if that would be helpful. We don't have any optional modules and there is no compulsory placement as part of the course, but a large number of students (including myself) complete relevant part-time work or voluntary work alongside the course, as there is enough time to gain experience at the same time. I'm not sure of the exact number of students on the course but I believe it is around 100.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions! :smile:

Meg
Hi Meg!

My name is Mariya and I have an offer from Bath. I applied for a scholarship, the one that is on the application tracker website. And received such answer:

Your scholarship application has been reviewed and will be taken forward to round two of our postgraduate taught scholarship awards. We will consider your application again in our second round of scholarship awards in May 2021. You do not need to make a new scholarship application.
I was wondering whether this means I was unsuccessful in the first round, or whether the first round was just first step of the selection process?
Also, some universities automatically enrol you in all available scholarships, and I am curious if that the case with Bath? For instance if I applied for the scholarship on the application tracker page, does that mean I am enrolled in the Global Leaders Scholarship https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/global-leaders-scholarship/ or any other scholarships available at Bath?

Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong chat, but I couldn't find any discussions related to the postgrad funding at Bath.
Thank you in advance! :-)
Original post by MariyaMariya
Hi Meg!

My name is Mariya and I have an offer from Bath. I applied for a scholarship, the one that is on the application tracker website. And received such answer:

Your scholarship application has been reviewed and will be taken forward to round two of our postgraduate taught scholarship awards. We will consider your application again in our second round of scholarship awards in May 2021. You do not need to make a new scholarship application.
I was wondering whether this means I was unsuccessful in the first round, or whether the first round was just first step of the selection process?
Also, some universities automatically enrol you in all available scholarships, and I am curious if that the case with Bath? For instance if I applied for the scholarship on the application tracker page, does that mean I am enrolled in the Global Leaders Scholarship https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/global-leaders-scholarship/ or any other scholarships available at Bath?

Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong chat, but I couldn't find any discussions related to the postgrad funding at Bath.
Thank you in advance! :-)

Hi @MariyaMariya !

Congratulations on the offer! I've emailed the team and here is their response:

"If a student has been unsuccessful in the first round of scholarships, they are automatically transferred to the second round. This means they have been unsuccessful in that round, but will be considered in the next round and may still get a scholarship. They do not need to resubmit anything, it is also transferred over for the second round of awards. They will need to apply separately for different scholarships however. More info here - https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/taught-postgraduate-scholarships-bursaries-and-other-funding/"

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions! :smile:

Meg
Original post by University of Bath Postgraduate
Hi @MariyaMariya !

Congratulations on the offer! I've emailed the team and here is their response:

"If a student has been unsuccessful in the first round of scholarships, they are automatically transferred to the second round. This means they have been unsuccessful in that round, but will be considered in the next round and may still get a scholarship. They do not need to resubmit anything, it is also transferred over for the second round of awards. They will need to apply separately for different scholarships however. More info here - https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/taught-postgraduate-scholarships-bursaries-and-other-funding/"

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions! :smile:

Meg

Hello!

I'm not applying yet as I'm gathering experience currently and still deciding my actual passion in psychology. My roles so far have led me back to Bath due to the mix of clinical and health psychology :h: (a university I always wanted to go to but didn't have the A Levels :wink:).

But... Wondering about a few things as despite a lack of placement I really like the look of the content and the lecturers present.

1) What sort of opportunities are in the area for work? I'm considering studying part-time in order to have some clinically relevant roles? Might try securing a research assistant or assistant psychologist post but might be very optimistic:daydreaming:

2) How many hours are you in university a week? And are hours spread out or in one or two days..?

3) How do the clinical and health side of the course actually fit together? This could be in lectures or assignments..
Also curious about whether the lecturers have a deep passion and knowledge for the areas. I'd love to meet some people as passionate about it.. my undergraduate lacked any clinical psychologists as I wasn't as sure at that stage.

4) Haha.. how is the teaching of advanced statistics? I'm hoping it'll refresh me on it all and teach new skills but.. what do you learn and how is it taught? I had lectures, seminars and some provided walkthroughs (that I managed to save) for using SPSS during undergrad.

Thank you for any insight!!
Original post by CuriousShinigami
Hello!

I'm not applying yet as I'm gathering experience currently and still deciding my actual passion in psychology. My roles so far have led me back to Bath due to the mix of clinical and health psychology :h: (a university I always wanted to go to but didn't have the A Levels :wink:).

But... Wondering about a few things as despite a lack of placement I really like the look of the content and the lecturers present.

1) What sort of opportunities are in the area for work? I'm considering studying part-time in order to have some clinically relevant roles? Might try securing a research assistant or assistant psychologist post but might be very optimistic:daydreaming:

2) How many hours are you in university a week? And are hours spread out or in one or two days..?

3) How do the clinical and health side of the course actually fit together? This could be in lectures or assignments..
Also curious about whether the lecturers have a deep passion and knowledge for the areas. I'd love to meet some people as passionate about it.. my undergraduate lacked any clinical psychologists as I wasn't as sure at that stage.

4) Haha.. how is the teaching of advanced statistics? I'm hoping it'll refresh me on it all and teach new skills but.. what do you learn and how is it taught? I had lectures, seminars and some provided walkthroughs (that I managed to save) for using SPSS during undergrad.

Thank you for any insight!!

Hi @CuriousShinigami

Thanks for the message - happy to answer these questions!

1) Honestly I've worked part-time throughout the year, while on the full-time course and I think it's very manageable to work while on the full-time course. I worked as an Assistant Psychologist, but this was through an old contact of mine so it was quite lucky! The majority of my peers work as Support Workers, which is really valuable experience and there's always plenty of jobs available!

2) The timetable will vary per year but to give you an idea, this year we had roughly 8-10 contact hours per week. These were spread over 3 days - but it will vary every year so you may find your contact hours cover all 5 days.

3) So one of the modules is "fundamentals of clinical and health psychology" which has students from the clinical psychology msc and the health psychology msc on it. This is great because it gives you a real mix of learning for both topics. All the lecturers are really passionate about their research areas, so the standard of teaching has been really high (several of the lecturers are also clinical psychologists)

4) I really struggled with statistics before this degree! You have a huge advantage that you used SPSS at undergrad level, because many students will be unfamiliar with SPSS. I was quite worried about the statistics module but the teaching was fantastic and I am now so much more confident with it

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending