The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs UCL for psychology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by immie36
No probs! It sounds like you already have a good idea of what kind of things to include on your PS and are on the right track.

Yes, happy for you to DM me if you'd like me to proofread your statement. Sometimes it helps just to get a second opinion.

Thank you! I know the personal statement is extremely important, and I'm an international student, so I'm trying to be as thorough as possible and TSR is one of my few sources of help.

Sure, let me know where you'd prefer for me to be able to converse with you, and when I'm done, I'll send it your way! Thanks for all your help again :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by bellowingcupcake
Thank you! I know the personal statement is extremely important, and I'm an international student, so I'm trying to be as thorough as possible and TSR is one of my few sources of help.

Sure, let me know where you'd prefer for me to be able to converse with you, and when I'm done, I'll send it your way! Thanks for all your help again :smile:

I've sent you a DM :smile:
UCL has a large department compared to LSE, and the course in LSE is relatively new. There will be no disadvantage in choosing UCL over LSE too.
Original post by immie36
@bellowingcupcake my daughter decided to go for LSE in the end because the course appealed to her interests more. The UCL course is ranked very highly, but there is more of a focus on neuropsychology and clinical practice, while the LSE course is a broader social science degree with more emphasis on policy and the behavioural economics. I think you should base your decision mainly on which course you think will suit your preferences and interests best.

There is a lot of information available on the LSE and UCL websites regarding the course content and videos which give you a good overview too. Here's the link for the LSE one if you haven't checked it out already.
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2022/BSc-Psychological-and-Behavioural-Science
Remember to write a strong personal statement when you apply as many universities don't interview, so you'll need to make your statement stand out and impress. There are some really good videos by admissions tutors on the uni websites and also on YouTube, which give you a good idea of what they're looking for. Hth best of luck!

Good reasoning behind final choice. Wishing her all the best in LSE.
hi, I am an incoming student who just received my offer in PBS for LSE 2023 September. I have quite a few questions that i wanted to ask since there is limited amount of information available online.

1. I wonder about whether the school hosts orientation or freshers events for students to get to know each others, especially those coming from the outside of UK.
2. How do students navigate their student life and student organizations? Is there a mentorship program where first-year students might be paired with an upper year student to ask questions they have?
3. Do you feel like there is a sense of community at LSE or is it just career-oriented?
4. How do you find the course (PBS) as it is newly introduced and how is the teaching quality of professors at LSE?
5. Why are there so many comments about internships and career-planning, what is the environment exactly like? Is it just students often discussing it or are there often conferences for career planning hosted by the university?

Thank you very much in advance, I think your reply would be super helpful.
Hi, I'm a current PBS student at the LSE, and I just spoke to someone on Linkedin about it as well! Feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Feel free to ask me anything!
Original post by JennyZSY
hi, I am an incoming student who just received my offer in PBS for LSE 2023 September. I have quite a few questions that i wanted to ask since there is limited amount of information available online.

1. I wonder about whether the school hosts orientation or freshers events for students to get to know each others, especially those coming from the outside of UK.
2. How do students navigate their student life and student organizations? Is there a mentorship program where first-year students might be paired with an upper year student to ask questions they have?
3. Do you feel like there is a sense of community at LSE or is it just career-oriented?
4. How do you find the course (PBS) as it is newly introduced and how is the teaching quality of professors at LSE?
5. Why are there so many comments about internships and career-planning, what is the environment exactly like? Is it just students often discussing it or are there often conferences for career planning hosted by the university?

Original post by JennyZSY

congrats, pbs is such a great course!

1. yes, lse has a freshers week every year packed with events from societies, the students union and the department. there are pbs specific events as well but as soon as you have met them, make a WhatsApp group and organise meetings yourself, most people will probably not be from London, so everyone is happy to make friends!
2. there are hundreds of societies, sports clubs and generally a lot to do in London! students usually try out societies at give-it-a-go events in freshers week/first few weeks of term and then they'll stick to the ones that are most fun. you also make friends and go to events organised by your student hall! In pbs, and a lot of other departments at lse, there is a family system, so all students with the same academic mentor, one of our professors, get together once in a while and there will be opportunities to ask questions!
3. there is absolutely the chance to have lse be an amazing community, especially since it is so small! the campus/uni in general, and pbs as well isn't big, so if you're lucky you'll have a great community! Lse is still super career focused, especially finance, management, etc students, but everyone talks about the toxicity of the pressure around careers so it is definitely manageable to navigate, and a lot of people actually don't get internships.
4. amazing course! honestly I love it so much, its supper applied to policy and real-world issues while also teaching you everything a normal psych degree would. the professors are the best, the cohort is super small, so they all remember you personally and that makes so much fo the community feel as well!
5. I hope question 3 answered that a little but yeah LSE students are extremely career focused, its a self-enforcing environment as everyone talking about it all the time makes you want to do it too or makes you think you have to do it too, and so there is more and more pressure. however, pbs is a good exception, thank god, finance and other quant student have it much worse. but its not only about consulting/fincance jobs, lse students are also very ambitious when it comes to governmental/NGO jobs. the good thing is that if that's something you're interested in, you can really use the environment to your benefit as you can easily ask people for advice and a lot of organisations host events at lse! but overall, you shouldn't not choose LSE because of the envrironmental pressure, as thank god, it isn't as bad in pbs, and all the other benefits of this specific degree 100% outweigh the toxic career stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending