The Student Room Group

Do first-year undergrad marks matter?

Do graduate schools look at first-year undergraduate marks when considering whether I am worthy of being admitted?
Original post by michaelscarn23
Do graduate schools look at first-year undergraduate marks when considering whether I am worthy of being admitted?

Hi @michaelscarn23

Most universities will put their entry requirements as part of their course on their website, and will potentially ask for a transcript from your undergraduate degree grades as part of the application.
If you are worried whether your first year is considered in your application, it is worth contacting the admissions team for the university which you are interested in studying at

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by michaelscarn23

As per the other reply, most graduate admissions processes involve a transcript, which will list marks from summative first-year assessment.

However, in many situations people aren't going to place too much weight on those: all academics know that students develop (that is surely part of the point of a degree course), so more recent work matters more. That's not an absolute rule: I can't speak for all disciplines and all contexts. But a lot of the time first-year marks won't matter that much if marks in later years are great, references are good &c.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending