The Student Room Group

Has anybody been rejected by the uni even though the prof agreed to supervise?

Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody has gotten rejected by the uni even though the prof has previously agreed to supervise? I'm planning to apply for a PhD this year, and I was just curious about how often this could happen. If anybody has experienced this, could you share why the uni rejected your application? Thank you!
If I'm not mistaken, it's standard that professors don't have absolute power to accept any prospective student they agree to supervise - at least in the social sciences and humanities. There is usually an independent panel(s) that goes through all the applications and determine who should be accepted. However, professors do have a lot of say and usually if you've got the OK from them you'd be fine.

I'm curious if the program you're applying to is directly tied to funding? If yes then your supervisor might have even less power to influence the outcome. I was accepted to one of the unis I applied to but got rejected for funding because the admissions committee didn't rank my application high enough despite my prospective supervisor's efforts.
Original post by lem0nwings
If I'm not mistaken, it's standard that professors don't have absolute power to accept any prospective student they agree to supervise - at least in the social sciences and humanities. There is usually an independent panel(s) that goes through all the applications and determine who should be accepted. However, professors do have a lot of say and usually if you've got the OK from them you'd be fine.

I'm curious if the program you're applying to is directly tied to funding? If yes then your supervisor might have even less power to influence the outcome. I was accepted to one of the unis I applied to but got rejected for funding because the admissions committee didn't rank my application high enough despite my prospective supervisor's efforts.

Thank you very much for your reply! That makes sense. The department I'm applying to is not directly tied to funding (most PhDs inside have external funding, and some are self-funded), so I suppose funding will be less of a factor in my application? But yea, I understand now that it is up to the selection committee to decide.
Original post by toastandcoffee
Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody has gotten rejected by the uni even though the prof has previously agreed to supervise? I'm planning to apply for a PhD this year, and I was just curious about how often this could happen. If anybody has experienced this, could you share why the uni rejected your application? Thank you!

The only reason I could see this happening (aside from funding-related issues), is that the supervisor would be taking on too many PhD students than their work conditions (or contract) allow for, and so they have to draw the line somewhere.
This would be quite rare. I've never heard of it happening. The circumstances I could envisage it occurring would be:

1) The candidate is clearly unsuitable e.g. does not have an appropriate first degree or does not meet language requirements
2) The candidate lied about qualifications
3) The offer is tied to funding. Often these are separate processes and the professor will often not have much say over who gets funding, but if they are linked then failing to get funding, which is common, could lead to rejection.
4) Professor's workload, as Phoenix mentions.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The only reason I could see this happening (aside from funding-related issues), is that the supervisor would be taking on too many PhD students than their work conditions (or contract) allow for, and so they have to draw the line somewhere.

I see, that's unfortunate but I guess it's the reality of PhD applications. Thank you!
Original post by chazwomaq
This would be quite rare. I've never heard of it happening. The circumstances I could envisage it occurring would be:

1) The candidate is clearly unsuitable e.g. does not have an appropriate first degree or does not meet language requirements
2) The candidate lied about qualifications
3) The offer is tied to funding. Often these are separate processes and the professor will often not have much say over who gets funding, but if they are linked then failing to get funding, which is common, could lead to rejection.
4) Professor's workload, as Phoenix mentions.

Right, that makes sense. Thank you for giving your thoughts on this!
Original post by PhoenixFortune

There are other reasons as well. The supervisor will look at the candidate and their track record etc from a research potential perspective but the Registry (or equivalent) will take a more box-ticking approach and may have access to “extra” information. That includes English language scores, a database of what the target university considers to be acceptable as a score from an overseas institution etc, we have a "never accept" list for some institutions, even for allegedly 1st class students based on past performance.

A good example is Italian degree scores, if you are an inexperienced UK academic, then 107/110 “looks” really good at 1st glance, but is actually pretty average and certainly not the equivalent of a 97% UK score or a 3.9/4.0 GPA. In some cases a supervisor can make a special case where they think the Registry misunderstands the situation, I have done that a few times on English quals for example.
This happened to me, and not because I wasn't qualified, or because the place was tied to funding. The professor I'd been in contact with at this university told me that they had no definite say about who would be getting places, but that they loved my project and were really hoping to work on it with me - but I was rejected anyway.

Another professor (at a university that did accept me) also told me that all supervisors can do is express enthusiasm for a certain candidate, but that offers of admission (as well as funding rankings) lie with a committee, and that they often ended up not supervising projects they had been enthusiastic about.

This is for English though; things might well be different in other fields, but I think that while getting a supervisor's enthusiastic approval is a good sign, these decisions seldom lie with the supervisor alone.
A professor from another department that where I am applying told me he was interested to take me and would talk with admission chair. However, unfortunately I was rejected form the university. In this case how should I inform the professor and is there any way to change the admission decision?
Original post by muntaha3629
A professor from another department that where I am applying told me he was interested to take me and would talk with admission chair. However, unfortunately I was rejected form the university. In this case how should I inform the professor and is there any way to change the admission decision?

I’d ask for feedback in the first instance and then take that information to the supervisor to see if any reconsideration is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending