The Student Room Group

Postgraduate options in Scotland - where to begin?!

Hi! So I'm current at Edinburgh Napier university. This upcoming academic year will be my final year and I'm really keen to continue in academia. But my situation is making me worry about where to go and what to do next. I have a 3 year old child and am a mature student (only 29, but still!) We have found a beautiful house on the Scottish borders we would love to live in, but it leaves me limited for options for postgraduate study. Can anyone give me an idea of how often they are on campus for a masters? Does anyone here travel far to access their campus, and what are your experiences with this? My most recent grades have been low 70s, one was an 85, so I want to make sure the university I choose for postgraduate study suits me as I also have very severe anxiety. Sorry for the rambling message!
Original post by kjs2021
Hi! So I'm current at Edinburgh Napier university. This upcoming academic year will be my final year and I'm really keen to continue in academia. But my situation is making me worry about where to go and what to do next. I have a 3 year old child and am a mature student (only 29, but still!) We have found a beautiful house on the Scottish borders we would love to live in, but it leaves me limited for options for postgraduate study. Can anyone give me an idea of how often they are on campus for a masters? Does anyone here travel far to access their campus, and what are your experiences with this? My most recent grades have been low 70s, one was an 85, so I want to make sure the university I choose for postgraduate study suits me as I also have very severe anxiety. Sorry for the rambling message!

It depends entirely on the course and how it is taught. Something with practical lab work, possibly every day, something with lectures only, the timetable might allow only two or three days a week. It also depends how much the uni continues to record and put online, something that clearly accelerated during covid but isn't necessarily a lecture room facility they can continue to deliver.

You'd need to engage with the university and perhaps students on the course to find out about timetabling.

The alternative might be to do something that is already online or part-time, which will expand your geography. But you do have to be certain of the quality of the course/delivery.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending