The Student Room Group

2023 Veterinary Medicine Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7580
Original post by itsablandlife
Unfortunately, I'd been looking for work experience, even just a week of volunteering at a vet practice, and either they said no or they never got back to me. I had been looking consistently for at least 6 months before applying but I live in the centre of Liverpool and don't drive, so it's basically impossible to find a vet practice to get work experience at unless you have connections which I don't. I'll keep looking and asking but it honestly feels like you get nowhere which is why I had to resort to just doing the MOOC. I have a friend who works as a care assistant at a vet practice and I've read a lot of books and carried out online courses which go into the good and the bad of a vet practice so I have some idea but obviously I've not had the hands on experience. It just sucks because it's impossible to get vet experience here, I even had a look around a vet practice and they said they'd contact me if they had space/time but they never got back to me, that was nearly a year ago now. I guess I can just research how to apply the MOOC to interview questions but I'm really stressed because I know I don't have a chance compared to basically everyone else who has hands on vet experience. Thanks for the advice about the RCVS code of conduct and ethical issues! 🙂

Getting work in a practice is difficult sometimes but there are other things you could have done like working in a stables or on a farm. They are always looking for spare hands!
When it was compulsory to get a wider variety of experience students literally couch surfed all over the country to get the necessary weeks of wex and travelled hundreds of miles. So although I do understand your problem with getting experience in a practice, you more than likely could still find a variety of other work experience if you put your mind to it and are willing to spend a few hours in public transport.
Original post by Euapp
Getting work in a practice is difficult sometimes but there are other things you could have done like working in a stables or on a farm. They are always looking for spare hands!
When it was compulsory to get a wider variety of experience students literally couch surfed all over the country to get the necessary weeks of wex and travelled hundreds of miles. So although I do understand your problem with getting experience in a practice, you more than likely could still find a variety of other work experience if you put your mind to it and are willing to spend a few hours in public transport.

I did get other work experience as I volunteered at animal shelters etc for like 2 years, it’s just vet practice experience I don’t have so fingers crossed i can eventually find somewhere. Thing is if I’m not successful this year with getting into vet med I don’t think I’ll reapply so we’ll see how it goes but I’ll keep my eye out for opportunities. I have a job atm so it’s hard to find time to travel for hours to get to somewhere
Original post by sciencelover37
How's everyone been getting on?

i know it's a bit late, but i'm really enjoying it!! there's more content that some people would consider "fluff" but i'm comforted by the fact that it should be a slightly easier exam than the others, as there's just so much content. what about you?
Original post by backstreetboyz
i know it's a bit late, but i'm really enjoying it!! there's more content that some people would consider "fluff" but i'm comforted by the fact that it should be a slightly easier exam than the others, as there's just so much content. what about you?

I'm really enjoying it too! There is a lot of content to cover but I've found most of it interesting so far.
Hi. Daughter has an offer for Surrey for next year. She's so excited! I wondered if anyone on here is at Surrey and would maybe consider telling us how it is please? The best bits, worst bits, and things you wished you knew before you went? Thanks so much.
Original post by Tammy1378a
Hi. Daughter has an offer for Surrey for next year. She's so excited! I wondered if anyone on here is at Surrey and would maybe consider telling us how it is please? The best bits, worst bits, and things you wished you knew before you went? Thanks so much.

@sciencelover37 would be a good person to speak to. I know she is loving it there
Hi 🙂 I was just wondering if anyone knows of a guide on how to best to email asking for EMS placements?
Original post by nostxlgic
Hi 🙂 I was just wondering if anyone knows of a guide on how to best to email asking for EMS placements?

I don't know of a guide, but as a rough example of how I've always successfully asked:
'Good morning/afternoon,
My name is x and I am a student x in my x year. I am interested in a placement with you at x. The dates I am available are x. (+/- details if you have or require transport or accommodation etc).
(Next paragraphs basic details on previous experience, if any. If none, any most relevant? E.g. for farm placements before I had much experience I'd mention I am experienced with horses as there are transferable skills.)
I have also attached my CV to this email. I look forward to hearing from you. (+/- contact details if relevant).
Thank you,
x'

I do have a little 'placement CV' as a lot of places I've done have asked for it. It doesn't have to be amazing, just include contact details, your education including anything 'extra' you did like guiding, prefecting, sports etc (particularly if not much animal handling experience), any work history (ok if not) and then also a 'placement history' so I'd include any work experience and basic tasks etc, eventually as you do more EMS placements can just replace it with those as you'll build it up. But honestly I feel most places just want your basic details and availability so I wouldn't overthink it too much, I know a lot of people who don't add a CV by default or the experience section either so it's not too important unless they ask specifically but I just kinda feel like my email is naked without ahah.
Original post by RambleAmple
I don't know of a guide, but as a rough example of how I've always successfully asked:
'Good morning/afternoon,
My name is x and I am a student x in my x year. I am interested in a placement with you at x. The dates I am available are x. (+/- details if you have or require transport or accommodation etc).
(Next paragraphs basic details on previous experience, if any. If none, any most relevant? E.g. for farm placements before I had much experience I'd mention I am experienced with horses as there are transferable skills.)
I have also attached my CV to this email. I look forward to hearing from you. (+/- contact details if relevant).
Thank you,
x'

I do have a little 'placement CV' as a lot of places I've done have asked for it. It doesn't have to be amazing, just include contact details, your education including anything 'extra' you did like guiding, prefecting, sports etc (particularly if not much animal handling experience), any work history (ok if not) and then also a 'placement history' so I'd include any work experience and basic tasks etc, eventually as you do more EMS placements can just replace it with those as you'll build it up. But honestly I feel most places just want your basic details and availability so I wouldn't overthink it too much, I know a lot of people who don't add a CV by default or the experience section either so it's not too important unless they ask specifically but I just kinda feel like my email is naked without ahah.

thank you so much, this is really helpful! 🙂 i appreciate it a lot
Hi,

Would anyone know if it would be possible to transfer vet schools in January?

I'm in my first year of the 5 year degree at Bristol but am really struggling with all my home commitments and the course on top, unfortunately I can't get much support from anyone.

I have autism and am a carer for my mum and soon to be grandmother, which I do on my own without any help, as well as having a long commute to university and a 5 day a week course, and I'm hoping for a fresh start at a different vet school.

I would be most interested in Nottingham or RVC.

Thanks
You can try to contact your target vet schools but unless they have covered the same content in the same period then it is very unlikely that they would be open to an in year transfer. Did either of them make you an offer - or reject you?
A vet degree is very tough without caring responsibilities on top. Where are you commuting from (approx)?
Original post by ReadingMum
You can try to contact your target vet schools but unless they have covered the same content in the same period then it is very unlikely that they would be open to an in year transfer. Did either of them make you an offer - or reject you?
A vet degree is very tough without caring responsibilities on top. Where are you commuting from (approx)?

I spend 4-6 hours a day commuting to Bristol.
Original post by Future Bristol
I spend 4-6 hours a day commuting to Bristol.

I’m in Reading and it’s still a 2-3 hour round trip for me to get to RVC . As you’re Hampshire I would think it’s not much different ? Also years 3-5 are based in the QMH near Potters bar in Hertfordshire
Unless you are planning to move closer to London or Notts.
I’m sure I’ve read that they don’t allow transfers from other courses but always worth an ask. As people have said it will depend if you have covered the same content in term 1 as we have in-term summative assessments in December and March that count towards final marks.
Good luck. I hope it works out for you
(edited 4 months ago)
Hey everyone, are there any 1st year HK applicants that wouldn’t mind chatting with me? Thanks ☺️
Original post by tllewellyn
I’m in Reading and it’s still a 2-3 hour round trip for me to get to RVC . As you’re Hampshire I would think it’s not much different ? Also years 3-5 are based in the QMH near Potters bar in Hertfordshire
Unless you are planning to move closer to London or Notts.
I’m sure I’ve read that they don’t allow transfers from other courses but always worth an ask. As people have said it will depend if you have covered the same content in term 1 as we have in-term summative assessments in December and March that count towards final marks.
Good luck. I hope it works out for you

Oh you are also from Reading and going to RVC?
I decided to rent at college grove because the commute was too long for me. How is it for you because I might have to commute next year?
Hi,

I'm in my first year of the 5 year degree at Bristol but am really struggling with all my home commitments and the course on top, unfortunately I can't get much support from anyone.

I have autism and am a carer for my mum and soon to be grandmother, which I do on my own without any help, as well as having a long commute to university and a 5 day a week course, and I'm hoping for a fresh start at a different vet school.

Thanks

Can’t comment on Notts and RVC, but HKVS accept transfers. https://cdn.harper-adams.ac.uk/document/ki/hkvs-key-info/School-Student-Transfer-Policy.pdf

Section B 🙂
Hi,

Thanks

Unfortunately I don’t believe vet schools allow transfers. The modules and teaching between years varies a lot. You could talk to the unis directly but I don’t think it is a likely option
Original post by Libromancer
Oh you are also from Reading and going to RVC?
I decided to rent at college grove because the commute was too long for me. How is it for you because I might have to commute next year?

Hi!
Oh wow ! Are you in BVetMed 1 of the 5 year now then?

It’s not too bad. Can do it in under two hours sometimes door to door on a good day . Plus with the Elizabeth line now it was a godsend when there was the strike last week! TBH it was nice to have the sit down time on the train to study a bit rather than getting on and off every 20mins when you go through Paddington.

Because of the kids I also study from home when I need too and there’s no compulsory class and it saves on travelling costs.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by swolehol
congrats on completing the interview !! that definitely makes me feel a lot better about it thank you :smile: if you made notes then I will too, a lot of people probably have made notes also and I'm sure if it wasn't allowed they would've made it abundantly clear. Ah okay ty for the tip, I'll also make sure I definitely have water !!

Hi how did the interview go for you ? I have one this year and I’m just trying to get a feel of how it is . Anxiety really gets to me and I don’t want to break down during the video 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending