The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

IMO until about half 11, or whenever most people tend to go out. You shouldn't make noise because some students will still be working/sleeping.

Of course, in practice this won't work in most places since a lot of people feel the need to have parties/get drunk all night, every night. Depends on what uni you're at as well I suppose.
Reply 2
We're meant to be quiet by 11. Only once was I kept awake at 3am by some people shouting outside. People generally are respectful or would be in pubs and clubs later on if they want to make noise
Usually by 11 most people have gone out to clubs so its nice and quiet, plus the RAs tend to be phoned by someone if the noise goes on past then.

Sometimes people set the fire-alarm off between 2 and 3 but not often. In fact, only once in this block since I moved back over a month ago.
Reply 4
We're supposed to be quiet by 11.30 which I think is pretty reasonable. Wish my flatmates would agree! I don't mind them making noise till a bit later occasionally...but if it carries on till 3am I get quite angry.
Reply 5
Danielle89
Usually by 11 most people have gone out to clubs so its nice and quiet, plus the RAs tend to be phoned by someone if the noise goes on past then.

Sometimes people set the fire-alarm off between 2 and 3 but not often. In fact, only once in this block since I moved back over a month ago.

Ah not good - glad this hasn't happened to me (yet...)!
Reply 6
People should be quiet when you decide to go to bed, if they don't then a fog-horn to the face at 5 AM should deal with your problem.
Reply 7
J-E-N-O-V-A
People should be quiet when you decide to go to bed, if they don't then a fog-horn to the face at 5 AM should deal with your problem.

:biggrin: Excellent advice.
Hygge
Ah not good - glad this hasn't happened to me (yet...)!

Its so scary! The alarms are very very loud in the rooms and I sort of jumped out my bed and paced back and forth muttering "OMG OMG OMG" for a few minutes before sussing that I needed to get some shoes, grab my duvet and get downstairs :p:
Reply 9
J-E-N-O-V-A

That's the official advice, yes, but in practice it doesn't always work like that.
Reply 10
11.30 here technically, i dont really mind it though to be honest, its not that often / bad.

we've had 3am fire alarms which are a nuicence but quite funny really, and thismorning i was woken up by my flatmate hammering on the door completelly drunk trying to get in as her key wouldnt work! & then proceded to be noisy with her friends for at least 1/2 hour after, but then i fell asleep... it doesnt bother me, i don't mind letting them in particularly, & otherwise id just ignore & pretend to be asleep lol.. i dont think its really fair to make a fuss when inevitably at some point im gonna be out that late aswell, plus all my flatmates get on anyway, so its not really an issue
Reply 11
It gets annoying, but you have to remember that it will possibly be you next week.
Reply 12
thats the way uni is i guess, so you cant rly stop it, although its a little unfair. we hardly get any noise during the day let alone at night time. boring but peaceful.
Reply 13
SillyFencer
It gets annoying, but you have to remember that it will possibly be you next week.

Not very likely lol...but I see your point.
Reply 14
I'm the head warden for our halls- and here officially it's 11pm. If someone complains and it's after 11, the music has to stop. If nobody complains, then it's ok really?

If I sense my neighbours might be asleep I wear headphones instead. Common courtesy.
Reply 15
It's not the music really...I can tune that out. It's the drunks screeching REALLY loudly non-stop...and they have an annoying habit of playing corridor cricket where the ball often smacks into my door.
Reply 16
The rules state 11.45pm here at UEA on weeknights. No one gives a crap come friday or saturday evenings though
Usually no one kicks up a fuss unless it's after 1am on a weeknight, albeit i've never faced any problems other than people stumbling and chatting loudly when they come back from clubbing...
munkie
I'm the head warden for our halls- and here officially it's 11pm. If someone complains and it's after 11, the music has to stop. If nobody complains, then it's ok really?

If I sense my neighbours might be asleep I wear headphones instead. Common courtesy.

I wish my uni halls neighbour was like you. He sits in his room (a lot of the time on his own) quietly all day, then from 1am onwards his TV/music gets progressively louder. At 6am he is still playing it too loud.

I complained about him once, and the noise has been reduced, but I still get annoyed with his lifestyle. It's the fact that he sits quietly until midnight/1am and THEN starts playing his music loudly. Is he oblivious to common courtesy, or maybe a little bit braindead? :mad:
my neighbour, last night, thought that it would be nice to whack his/her (i havent actually met him/her yet) speakers up, not play music, but go on msn on it. all i would hear is the msn noise. and our walls are thick here...

and the one opposite seems to have a complete disregard for anything. music at 3am, louud music, smoking whenever he pleases... oh the joy:biggrin:.
Try being lulled into a false sense of security that you will be able to sleep since everyone in your flat seems quiet and asleep themselves. Then drifting off...only to be awoken again a few hours later when your flatmate insists on bringing the party back to your flat and him and his 'macho' mates skip up and down our corridor singing Katy Perry.
FUN!

Latest

Trending

Trending