The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL English Interview (next week!)

Hi everyone, my interview is next week on Wednesday and I was wondering what kind of questions they asked? I've brushed up on my personal statement and I'm doing wider reading, but do they ask any out of the box questions? Let me know how your experience was :smile:

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Hi!! I had mine today and it was all completely based upon the books on my personal statement, no questions tripped me up whatsoever and they were such lovely people!! good luck and don’t worry too much about it, it’s super informal :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by leahholland
Hi!! I had mine today and it was all completely based upon the books on my personal statement, no questions tripped me up whatsoever and they were such lovely people!! good luck and don’t worry too much about it, it’s super informal :smile:

Oh I'm glad it went well!! Thank you for the reply, it makes me feel a little more confident! How was the written test?
Original post by thatbooknerd
Oh I'm glad it went well!! Thank you for the reply, it makes me feel a little more confident! How was the written test?

I haven't actually looked at it yet oops, however it doesn't look too difficult and definitely a lot to say about it :smile:
I haven't actually looked at it yet oops, however it doesn't look too difficult and definitely a lot to say about it :smile:

Oh, I didn't even think about doing it after the interview! That's good though, hope you do well :smile:

Hey, I forgot to ask - did they ask about anything you'd studied at A-Level? x
Hey, I forgot to ask - did they ask about anything you'd studied at A-Level? x

Hii. They only asked me about books on my personal statement, but I do have quite a lot of books on there. I would only really prepare for anything specifically mentioned on your personal statement, as the interviews are only 20 minutes long so they don't have a lot of time :smile:
Hii. They only asked me about books on my personal statement, but I do have quite a lot of books on there. I would only really prepare for anything specifically mentioned on your personal statement, as the interviews are only 20 minutes long so they don't have a lot of time :smile:

Thank you! I'll do that :smile:
hi, can I ask how long after you submitted your ucas application did you receive your interview offer? Thanks xx
Original post by madddalenaaa
hi, can I ask how long after you submitted your ucas application did you receive your interview offer? Thanks xx

Hii, I sent my UCAS application on the 6th of October and got an interview offer on 8th November :smile:
Hii, I sent my UCAS application on the 6th of October and got an interview offer on 8th November :smile:

aa thanks! also do you know if they interview overseas candidates? On the website it says they probably don't but since the interviews are on zoom now that may have changed...
I

submitted mine on october 9th, got an interview on november 12th :smile:
aa thanks! also do you know if they interview overseas candidates? On the website it says they probably don't but since the interviews are on zoom now that may have changed.

I'm not sure tbh, maybe email them and see if they do?
update! i had mine yesterday and it wasn't about my personal statement at all. they just asked me about three texts i'd done at a-level, so i think it's different for everyone.
Reply 14
update! i had mine yesterday and it wasn't about my personal statement at all. they just asked me about three texts i'd done at a-level, so i think it's different for every

I applied in October for English and haven't heard anything about an interview. I am really worried now that this means I am out of the running for UCL. Does anyone know if not having an interview yet means a rejection ?
Original post by ACG25
I applied in October for English and haven't heard anything about an interview. I am really worried now that this means I am out of the running for UCL. Does anyone know if not having an interview yet means a rejection ?

Hiya! From what I read on the website, On the website, it says:

'We assess applications by looking very carefully at the UCAS Form, including GCSE grades, and A Level predictions (or equivalents), the tutors’ reference, and the UCAS Personal Statement. We then shortlist the strongest candidates. Most shortlisted candidates are then invited to an online interview, where applicants talk to tutors for around twenty minutes and then write a short essay. We then make our final decisions based on a combination of all of the above criteria. In some cases, students receive offers without being interviewed.'

So I wouldn't worry too much. There is a chance they are accepting without interviews, so keep a look out. I haven't heard anything back since mine :smile:
Reply 16
Hiya! From what I read on the website, On the website, it says:

'We assess applications by looking very carefully at the UCAS Form, including GCSE grades, and A Level predictions (or equivalents), the tutors’ reference, and the UCAS Personal Statement. We then shortlist the strongest candidates. Most shortlisted candidates are then invited to an online interview, where applicants talk to tutors for around twenty minutes and then write a short essay. We then make our final decisions based on a combination of all of the above criteria. In some cases, students receive offers without being interviewed.'

So I wouldn't worry too much. There is a chance they are accepting without interviews, so keep a look out. I haven't heard anything back since mine :smile:

I really hope so - thank you for your response! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well
Original post by ACG25
I really hope so - thank you for your response! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well

Thank you! And good luck x
How did it go? Did you get offers?
Original post by Boratandflowers
How did it go? Did you get offers?

Nothing yet, still waiting :smile:
Did you apply to UCL too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending