The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Possibility of being rejected from Imperial when meeting entry requirements?

Does anyone have story’s of being rejected from Imperial college London (COMPUTING) even when meeting the entry requirements & they believe their interview/admission test went well.
Reply 1
Original post by Conopsapy
Does anyone have story’s of being rejected from Imperial college London (COMPUTING) even when meeting the entry requirements & they believe their interview/admission test went well.

Hello. By "entry requirements," if you are referring to the minimum entry requirements, then meeting those by no means guarantee you'll be given an offer or admitted. If you mean the condition offers, then by the time you got the conditional offer, your interview and admission test results were already taken into account, so they are not relevant any more. (i.e., if you receive conditional offers and meet them, I would guess in most cases you'll be offered admission.)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Meeting the minimum entry requirements should be the least of your concerns - I'm surprised anyone even applies that doesn't meet them. The majority of people rejected from Imperial are those who meet the minimum entry requirements. The admissions test is also not a huge factor - the majority of people scoring full marks on the admissions test are also rejected pre-interview. If you get an interview, then you almost certainly have an offer (it's something like a 95% success rate). But then you have to do STEP to actually meet your offer. So yes, plenty of people who have A*A*A or A*AAA are rejected from this course.
Reply 3
Original post by KashParty
Meeting the minimum entry requirements should be the least of your concerns - I'm surprised anyone even applies that doesn't meet them. The majority of people rejected from Imperial are those who meet the minimum entry requirements. The admissions test is also not a huge factor - the majority of people scoring full marks on the admissions test are also rejected pre-interview. If you get an interview, then you almost certainly have an offer (it's something like a 95% success rate). But then you have to do STEP to actually meet your offer. So yes, plenty of people who have A*A*A or A*AAA are rejected from this course.

So you meet entry requirements, you get FULL marks on admission test and you still get rejected...great. Grade inflation...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Conopsapy
So you meet entry requirements, you get FULL marks on admission test and you still get rejected...great. Grade inflation...

The entry requirements are "minimum" entry requirements. And many students satisfy these requirements. It is not possible to admit all of them.
Reply 5
Not including JMC, there are well over 3000 applicants to the department of computing every year, and they give out 400-500 offers. Every year they have to reject hundreds of very strong applicants who might have had an offer if they'd applied five years ago when there were half as many applications per year as there are now.
(edited 2 years ago)
Have heard stories of those with 10A* and 4A* predictions and stellar personal statements and references being rejected without interview and those with lower stats and less supra curriculars getting offers. Is it all a bit of a lottery theses days and they essentially pick names out of a hat from all those that meet the entry requirements because just about everyone is a perfect applicant and they can’t go wrong whoever they pick? Or do still go through the personal statement and reference of everyone with a fine tooth comb?
Reply 7
Original post by Typhoons
Have heard stories of those with 10A* and 4A* predictions and stellar personal statements and references being rejected without interview and those with lower stats and less supra curriculars getting offers. Is it all a bit of a lottery theses days and they essentially pick names out of a hat from all those that meet the entry requirements because just about everyone is a perfect applicant and they can’t go wrong whoever they pick? Or do still go through the personal statement and reference of everyone with a fine tooth comb?

Besides grades there are also other considerations, such as the recommendation and personal statement--not just that of the particular applicant, but also that of other applicants. Otherwise, they can use an algorithm to rank everyone according to (achieved and predicated) grades!
Reply 8
Reviving an old thread .... Any possibility of Imperial being flexible if I miss my STEP 2 condition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending