The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

2022 DPhil Information, Communication, and the Social Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mcgivermchvbg
You know folks, I emailed the OII before (last week) to ask if all interview invitations were already sent. They did not reply. Heck, they didn't even open my email message.

still no reply on that?

part-time applicant, nothing on my end, even the upload button still in place. never thought the waiting would be so hard
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by -AD
still no reply on that?

part-time applicant, nothing on my end, even the upload button still in place. never thought the waiting would be so hard

Yes, still no response as of posting.

I installed a computer program in my email that notifies me every time the recipient of my email opens the messages I send.

My computer program detected that my email to the OII was not even opened. Hence, they deliberately ignored my message.

I actually sent another email to them a few minutes ago. If something happens, I will post it here the soonest. Cheers and good luck!
I emailed them yesterday and received a canned response exactly at the start of the work day in the UK. Similar to the email we received when our applications were ready for assessment and saying at the end to contact the faculty or department directly if you don't hear back two weeks after the estimated response date which I'm assuming is 8-10 weeks post deadline. I had emailed the OII admissions address and had asked specifically about interview invitations.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks doasarmad! I hope they reply to you! Because they seem to ignore my messages!
I wish they would send out rejections when they decide not to shortlist people, rather than waiting until after they’ve done interviews and accepted people.
Original post by Confusiongalore
I wish they would send out rejections when they decide not to shortlist people, rather than waiting until after they’ve done interviews and accepted people.

My thoughts too.
Folks, just a heads up, the sixth week has officially passed.
Folks, just a heads up, the sixth week has officially passed.

Still a few hours remaining. Will be counting down till the very end. 😭🤞🤞🤞🤞
Did you apply anywhere else? I applied to LSE (got an interview, waiting to hear), Cambridge (rejected because they couldn’t find a supervisor who was suited to my topic), and a lower ranked uni that I just really like the supervisor (offer).
Did you apply anywhere else? I applied to LSE (got an interview, waiting to hear), Cambridge (rejected because they couldn’t find a supervisor who was suited to my topic), and a lower ranked uni that I just really like the supervisor (offer).

I also applied for LSE and got an interview early this week. I need to know the results of my application in Oxford (full-time ICSS) so I know my chances!

I already got an acceptance in Northwestern. Can I ask you folks what you think is the advantage of a UK PhD vs a US PhD? The US PhD is just so loooong but at the same time, I wonder if the UK PhD programs are a bit too tight.

May I know what programs you applied for at Cambridge and LSE? I've only applied to Oxford this year but it was a rushed last minute application and I already have plans to apply next year. This 1+3 program is perfect for my research interests. 😩
(edited 2 years ago)
LSE I applied for PhD Sociology, with second choice Media and Communication. Was interviewed by the latter. It’s ranked number 3 in the world for this, behind Amsterdam and USC, so I am excited about the opportunities this can provide. And London seems cool.

Cambridge I applied for Sociology because they have a small cohort researching the sociology of media, but unfortunately none of them felt suited to take on my topic, which is really rather niche. They gave lovely feedback though which helped my ego lol

The third school I have an offer for I’d be in the Criminology part of the Sociology and Criminology department. It’s ranked way behind the others, by like 200, but I’m seriously considering it because it would be a much less stressful experience. I studied there before, have contacts, and the supervisor and school are really accommodating. I think day to day life experience is just as important as rank.

Oxford would be the best because they have great support, and high rank. But I’m pretty sure I got a rejection (no interview yet). It was a long shot anyway.

That sounds great! Best of luck with LSE and I completely agree about the day to day life experience bit. But seeing that no one on Student Room or Gradcafe has received an interview invitation for ICSS yet I'd say we can still keep our hopes up. Though that's definitely easier said than done.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 32
the background you guys sharing sounds really impressive, seems like we have a very strong cohort over there. the waiting is exhausting but I think we should all be proud of ourselves and just hope for the best
Reply 33
any ideas why it can be so long this year?
according to The Gradcafe, last year interview invitations were sent on 24 Feb, 1 and 8 March, which adjusted to the deadline date gives us 9, 14 and 21 Feb for this year - but there is still nothing
the waiting is devastating
Original post by -AD
any ideas why it can be so long this year?
according to The Gradcafe, last year interview invitations were sent on 24 Feb, 1 and 8 March, which adjusted to the deadline date gives us 9, 14 and 21 Feb for this year - but there is still nothing
the waiting is devastating

I suppose there could have been some unforseen disruptions or maybe they have decided to not take interviews this year? It's all conjecture at this point. This is the seventh week so hopefully we will find out soon (though I have been saying this for the past couple of weeks already).
Anyone who emailed the grad office heard back?
Reply 36
Anyone who emailed the grad office heard back?

I received the following generic response, seems copy pasted from the webiste:

Thank you for your email. Once you have submitted your application, you will have access to the Graduate Applicant Self Service Portal where you can check whether your application has fulfilled all of the requirements for it to be assessed, including the status of your references. Self Service will not, however, give information on the status of your application after it is ready for assessment. Please refer to the Graduate Applicant Self Service portal user guide for full details.
Read more about what happens after you submit your application on the 'After you apply' section of our website and see our timetable for expected decisions. Please remember, however, that we receive a very high number of applications and you will not always receive your decision by the date published.

If you have not heard the outcome of your application two weeks after the estimated decision date, you can contact the relevant department or faculty directly (OII) to enquire further. Contact details can be found on the relevant course pages on the Graduate Admissions website.
There is also more information on the decision timing Frequently Asked Questions webpage.
Original post by ace65325

Thank you for your email. Once you have submitted your application, you will have access to the Graduate Applicant Self Service Portal where you can check whether your application has fulfilled all of the requirements for it to be assessed, including the status of your references. Self Service will not, however, give information on the status of your application after it is ready for assessment. Please refer to the Graduate Applicant Self Service portal user guide for full details.
Read more about what happens after you submit your application on the 'After you apply' section of our website and see our timetable for expected decisions. Please remember, however, that we receive a very high number of applications and you will not always receive your decision by the date published.

If you have not heard the outcome of your application two weeks after the estimated decision date, you can contact the relevant department or faculty directly (OII) to enquire further. Contact details can be found on the relevant course pages on the Graduate Admissions website.
There is also more information on the decision timing Frequently Asked Questions webpage.

I received the same response.
Original post by ace65325

I likewise received the same exact response, folks. However, in the other thread, the person who was interviewed for the part-time DPhil in Social Data Science asked the interviewers about the decision timeline. He/she was informed that interviews are going to take place last week and this week and decisions are going to be released one month after you are interviewed.

So folks, maybe there was indeed a delay because of covid, but one thing is for certain, if any of us are getting interviewed, it has to be this week.
Reply 39
I likewise received the same exact response, folks. However, in the other thread, the person who was interviewed for the part-time DPhil in Social Data Science asked the interviewers about the decision timeline. He/she was informed that interviews are going to take place last week and this week and decisions are going to be released one month after you are interviewed.

So folks, maybe there was indeed a delay because of covid, but one thing is for certain, if any of us are getting interviewed, it has to be this week.

Fabulous :/ . Just when I was about to resign myself to expect a certain rejection, more nervous anticipation...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending