The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

2022 DPhil Information, Communication, and the Social Sciences

Scroll to see replies

I hate to be a cynic. But the program only has an 8-10% acceptance rate, with over 150 people applying at times. It’s entirely possible that interviews have already been sent out, but none of the 10-15 people who got an interview are on any of the forms.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Confusiongalore
I hate to be a cynic. But the program only has an 8-10% acceptance rate, with over 150 people applying at times. It’s entirely possible that interviews have already been sent out, but none of the 10-15 people who got an interview are on any of the forms.

That is very possible too. What I don't understand about them is, if I am not shortlisted for interview, how come they don't send us the rejection email right away? Why do they prolong our anxiety for no reason at all? Arghhh....
Reply 42
It’s a numbers game. They keep you on the bench in the event they fall short of numbers. Shocking as it may sound, not all offers from OII are accepted
Reply 43

Call me crazy but I’m still hopeful. Even if you’re considering statistics alone, it’s unlikely that of the 15 candidates We’ve made contact with, zero have been shortlisted. Plus I’m of the opinion that those who are invested this much and choosing to engage on forums may be an indicator of higher quality applications (that’s a stretch but still arguable). We’ll find out soon enough! Que sera sera :wink:
Reply 44
Original post by ace65325
Call me crazy but I’m still hopeful. Even if you’re considering statistics alone, it’s unlikely that of the 15 candidates We’ve made contact with, zero have been shortlisted. Plus I’m of the opinion that those who are invested this much and choosing to engage on forums may be an indicator of higher quality applications (that’s a stretch but still arguable). We’ll find out soon enough! Que sera sera :wink:

I like the way you're thinking. still hopeful myself
even if I tend to start accepting the rejection you are not rejected until you got the mail, right?

I agree with you. Even if I'm already going crazy with the wait, I think it is possible that the interviews are just delayed. Prestigious schools usually take their time. I applied also in NYU MCC (Deadline was Dec 1) and I have no news from the other grad fora that the interviews are sent out. Hoping for the best that it is this week (and even next week). If I don't get any notice by the second week of March, then perhaps I can let it go LOL
Any updates?
Reply 47
nothing on my end.
and it's kinda weird there are no signs of ICSS interviews either here or at Gradcafe
Nothing on my end either. Has there been any movement with the SDS courses? Apart from that one part timer interview invitation a few days ago.
Reply 49
haven't seen anything. like OII select people who are not using the forums
Reply 50
what's everyone's outlook for next week?
what's everyone's outlook for next week?

To be honest, I do not know anymore. No news from the OII, no interview invitations, and no updates from the people here and on Grad Cafe. So whatever happens, happens.

I also emailed the OII again last week. I asked if all interview invitations were already sent. According to the computer software I installed in my email, it appeared that they finally read my email, literally just opened it. But they never replied to me.

Overall, I am not expecting that my application would succeed anymore. I am actually already busy preparing for another PhD application and that is what I am betting on.
Reply 52
Original post by mcgivermchvbg

Overall, I am not expecting that my application would succeed anymore. I am actually already busy preparing for another PhD application and that is what I am betting on.

and what are your alternatives if I may ask?
Original post by -AD
and what are your alternatives if I may ask?

I applying for a PhD programme in Japan. It is a government scholarship so everything's covered from airfare, living expenses, fees, and everything. I believe I have better chances at this because I am applying through the local Japanese Embassy here in my country. So the competition for this scholarship will be more localised rather than international like Oxford.
Reply 54
Original post by mcgivermchvbg
I applying for a PhD programme in Japan. It is a government scholarship so everything's covered from airfare, living expenses, fees, and everything. I believe I have better chances at this because I am applying through the local Japanese Embassy here in my country. So the competition for this scholarship will be more localised rather than international like Oxford.

best of luck to you with that application!
I assume it’s been past 8-10 weeks for some of us, has anyone emailed about that and heard back?
Reply 56
I assume it’s been past 8-10 weeks for some of us, has anyone emailed about that and heard back?

If nothing by tomorrow EOD, I intend on calling admissions office directly. Will def revert back if I manage to get connected.
Reply 57
A couple curiosities while we're all connected here (for those willing to disclose):

1. anyone here submit a GRE score along with their app?--I did not, but considering testing and submitting one for next round of applications if I am unsuccessful this time.
2. who they listed as potential supervisor--mine was prof Floridi
I wasn’t even invited for an interview. There will be two people selected for the part-time DPhil (Social Data Sci), and I am quite sure I am not among them. I have a very strong profile with publications, technical certificates, etc. I also met with the prospective supervisor and beat out the finer details of the project proposal. If you have not heard back by now, I do not think you can expect an offer. I think all the offers have been sent out. They would probably wait for them all to be accepted then the rejection letters will come out in a single go.Profile- - Two masters degrees (both 1st class) - Interviewing for Amazon as a Software Engineer this week.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by jac11112
I wasn’t even invited for an interview. There will be two people selected for the part-time DPhil (Social Data Sci), and I am quite sure I am not among them. I have a very strong profile with publications, technical certificates, etc. I also met with the prospective supervisor and beat out the finer details of the project proposal. If you have not heard back by now, I do not think you can expect an offer. I think all the offers have been sent out. They would probably wait for them all to be accepted then the rejection letters will come out in a single go.Profile- - Two masters degrees (both 1st class) - Interviewing for Amazon as a Software Engineer this week.

are you aware of any offers/interviews for the ICSS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending