The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

2022 DPhil Information, Communication, and the Social Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jac11112
I wasn’t even invited for an interview. There will be two people selected for the part-time DPhil (Social Data Sci), and I am quite sure I am not among them. I have a very strong profile with publications, technical certificates, etc. I also met with the prospective supervisor and beat out the finer details of the project proposal. If you have not heard back by now, I do not think you can expect an offer. I think all the offers have been sent out. They would probably wait for them all to be accepted then the rejection letters will come out in a single go.Profile- - Two masters degrees (both 1st class) - Interviewing for Amazon as a Software Engineer this week.

I guess your revelations are both depressing and liberating considering that for every day that passes, the clearer I am not accepted.

By the way, how did you know there will be two people selected for the part-time DPhil in SDS? May I ask where can I find that thread?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Folks, I am actually considering withdrawing my application (by contacting the Graduate Admissions Team) once I get a definite confirmation that all interview invitations were sent. I really do not want to receive a rejection email. In my view, it's better to withdraw my application than receive a humiliating rejection letter...

But the thing is, the OII is not replying to my emails! I guess it's a rejection letter then :frown:
Original post by jac11112
I wasn’t even invited for an interview. There will be two people selected for the part-time DPhil (Social Data Sci), and I am quite sure I am not among them. I have a very strong profile with publications, technical certificates, etc. I also met with the prospective supervisor and beat out the finer details of the project proposal. If you have not heard back by now, I do not think you can expect an offer. I think all the offers have been sent out. They would probably wait for them all to be accepted then the rejection letters will come out in a single go.Profile- - Two masters degrees (both 1st class) - Interviewing for Amazon as a Software Engineer this week.

Also interested in why you think all the offers have been sent out? My reading of the information we have to date is that offers are sent out 8 - 10 weeks after deadline and by my reckoning, we hit 8 weeks post deadline tomorrow.
Original post by mcgivermchvbg
Folks, I am actually considering withdrawing my application (by contacting the Graduate Admissions Team) once I get a definite confirmation that all interview invitations were sent. I really do not want to receive a rejection email. In my view, it's better to withdraw my application than receive a humiliating rejection letter...

But the thing is, the OII is not replying to my emails! I guess it's a rejection letter then :frown:

It’s hardly humiliating to get rejected from one of the most competitive programs at one of the most competitive institutions in the world. Great applications from qualified individuals get rejected, and sometimes it’s down to something as simple as them not being able to find a supervisor with enough experience in your area of research, which has nothing to do with you.
Original post by theaccountname
Also interested in why you think all the offers have been sent out? My reading of the information we have to date is that offers are sent out 8 - 10 weeks after deadline and by my reckoning, we hit 8 weeks post deadline tomorrow.

By sending the offers 8 - 10 weeks after the deadline, does it mean they were able to do the interviews already?

Here is what the DPhil ICSS page says: "Interviews are usually held around one month after the application deadline."

It's almost two months now. Just wondering if we are past the interview stage already.
Reply 65
Hello all. I have just called the OII admissions office. I was able to connect with a David. Here is their answer:

- Most interview invitations have been sent out

- "One or two interview invitations will be shared later this week"

- FInal decisions are sent out on March 18th
Reply 66
Original post by ace65325
Hello all. I have just called the OII admissions office. I was able to connect with a David. Here is their answer:

thank you so much for the info! a good piece of something certain, finally
little hope still there though
Reply 67
Original post by -AD
thank you so much for the info! a good piece of something certain, finally
little hope still there though

indeed. I've accepted defeat. good luck all.

Thanks for this! I feel better knowing where I stand (aka didn't make it to the first set of interview invitations).

Hope you folks have other programs you're applying to! Anyone applied to LSE's Media and Comm or Data, Network and Society program?

Thank you very much for this. I guess I can finally be relieved of the anxiety. I accept defeat too. What a bummer.
Original post by DoctorWho2022
Thanks for this! I feel better knowing where I stand (aka didn't make it to the first set of interview invitations).

Hope you folks have other programs you're applying to! Anyone applied to LSE's Media and Comm or Data, Network and Society program?

Hey, havent heard back. Interviewed on 17th

Interviewed the 16th. They said I’d hear back in two weeks. No word yet.
Original post by Confusiongalore
Interviewed the 16th. They said I’d hear back in two weeks. No word yet.

Did you interview for Media and Comm or Data, Network and Society? Same question too for @Laihvkc111.

I just got a rejection letter for Media and Comm (my second choice) but no news yet for the first choice. What the hell, they are in the same department.
Did you interview for Media and Comm or Data, Network and Society? Same question too for @Laihvkc111.

I just got a rejection letter for Media and Comm (my second choice) but no news yet for the first choice. What the hell, they are in the same department.

Media and Comm.

That’s strange. I think i interviewed for Data Networks and Society. They didnt say, but i applied to both.
Update. I have an offer from another university that’s deadline is coming up, and I didn’t realize I could withdrawal after accepting it. I emailed LSE asking when I would hear about my status because I didn’t want to accept the other offer in case I got favorable results from LSE, which I’m very interested in. They told me I would hear back in a couple days, but my transcript hasn’t dropped to the bottom of the documents (which I guess is a sign of acceptance), so it’s not looking good for me. I hope emailing them wasn’t too forward 😭

Thank you for sharing! I wanted to ask if you had specified whether they are interviewing all applicants for PhD or just part-time?
Update. I have an offer from another university that’s deadline is coming up, and I didn’t realize I could withdrawal after accepting it. I emailed LSE asking when I would hear about my status because I didn’t want to accept the other offer in case I got favorable results from LSE, which I’m very interested in. They told me I would hear back in a couple days, but my transcript hasn’t dropped to the bottom of the documents (which I guess is a sign of acceptance), so it’s not looking good for me. I hope emailing them wasn’t too forward 😭

Can I ask what does the 'transcript being dropped to the bottom' mean? Where do I see that?

I was meaning to ask - how was your LSE interview? Mine was really very tough on the details of the proposal. We spent the whole time discussing just the research.

Also, I think it is fine to be honest with them about your prospects :smile: I do hope they do confirm your acceptance/rejection soon so you know how to move forward. Hope they also update me too LOL
(edited 2 years ago)
Can I ask what does the 'transcript being dropped to the bottom' mean? Where do I see that?

I was meaning to ask - how was your LSE interview? Mine was really very tough on the details of the proposal. We spent the whole time discussing just the research.

Also, I think it is fine to be honest with them about your prospects :smile: I do hope they do confirm your acceptance/rejection soon so you know how to move forward. Hope they also update me too LOL

In the LSE form they say it’s a sign of acceptance if your transcripts drop to the bottom of the list of documents on the For You webpage.

Mine was really informal. Not too tough. We hashed out some of the details of my methodology and proposal, and I had to defend some of it.
In the LSE form they say it’s a sign of acceptance if your transcripts drop to the bottom of the list of documents on the For You webpage.

Mine was really informal. Not too tough. We hashed out some of the details of my methodology and proposal, and I had to defend some of it.

May I ask where if your transcript has dropped? Mine did but not the very bottom, before the references.

I can't seem to find the email address of the PhD program director. Would you mind linking it here?

Thanks for the help and wishing you all the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending