The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

grt
Then, please define "career" for me, Adrian. There are many, many postings regarding FO jobs at top IB banks - but that's neither the whole IB sector nor the whole finance sector you can work in.

However, I have no clue about Leicester or Salford.

I'm guessing, from the amount of people here who post questions regarding FO jobs, that the question was referring to a career in that area. Anybody can enter IB BO or MO as long as they have been to a reasonably good uni and have outstanding credentials. I think many people, including myself, underestimate how elusive such a career path is. It takes hard work and dedication.
Chrisateen
What about Leicester do I have no chance there either?

Sure. Leicester has a terrific alumini of academics. Just ensure you receive a 1st class to have the best chance.

edit: Ive just remembered that I should make everyone aware that I'm only a second year college student. My apologies for giving advice on something I've only heard from other geniuses on this forum i.e. Drogue, President Ben etc. I'm merely just repeating what I've heard, I dont know it for sure so you should find out for yourselves. My profuse apologies once again.
Reply 1782
Adrian1707
I'm guessing, from the amount of people here who post questions regarding FO jobs, that the question was referring to a career in that area. Anybody can enter IB BO or MO as long as they have been to a reasonably good uni and have outstanding credentials. I think many people, including myself, underestimate how elusive such a career path is. It takes hard work and dedication.

Thanks, I agree. :smile:
Adrian1707
Sure. Leicester has a terrific alumini of academics. Just ensure you receive a 1st class to have the best chance.

edit: Ive just remembered that I should make everyone aware that I'm only a second year college student. My apologies for giving advice on something I've only heard from other geniuses on this forum i.e. Drogue, President Ben etc. I'm merely just repeating what I've heard, I dont know it for sure so you should find out for yourselves. My profuse apologies once again.

So you you think its worth risking my relationship with my parents to go away to leicester rather than stay at home and go to Salford in acordance to my parents wishes
Adrian1707
Want a career in IB, dont go to Salford. Get in to LSE, the world is your oyster. Sorry to be harsh but thats unfortunatly how things are.

Who are u yo judge someone like that when u do BTEC??!! idiot
Reply 1785
Chrisateen
So you you think its worth risking my relationship with my parents to go away to leicester rather than stay at home and go to Salford in acordance to my parents wishes

Man, your parents sound really crazy. You have to go where you feel comfortable. It's your own life, not theirs. What's their reasoning for wanting you to stay at home? I have to say that I've visited friends at Salford, and it is in a whole different league of pleasantness to Leicester, it's pretty dire. I personally would avoid it at all costs.

Have they been down to visit Leicester? See if you can get them on an open day, there's a really friendly vibe around the place.
Yeah they did go to an open day
I'd just like to ask something. I'm not very informed about IB...But I read that one of the Managing Directors at JP Morgan studied medieval history at Bristol. So, does this mean that an econ/quant degree, although desired, is not absolutely mandatory to get in IB? :s-smilie: can anyone clear this for me?!
Reply 1788
you thought about commuting to manchester or liverpool at all?
Reply 1789
heart shaped box
I'd just like to ask something. I'm not very informed about IB...But I read that one of the Managing Directors at JP Morgan studied medieval history at Bristol. So, does this mean that an econ/quant degree, although desired, is not absolutely mandatory to get in IB? :s-smilie: can anyone clear this for me?!

No its not manditory however I am sure it helps, and this is coming from an arts student myself.A few points on this;

1.For trading a quant degree is far more important than in IBD.
2. Also I think its probably even more important to do the arts degree in a traditional subject e.g History, at either Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL

3. Need to maybe demonstrate more than quant students that you understand and enjoy the markets.

However yes, in principle if you have numerical ability, and go to one of the above uni`s you can make it. I have 2 offers for spring weeks (yes I know only a week, however if they didnt think I was up to it they wouldnt give me offers) and I am an arts student.
andy22may

If you actually read my previous post, I mentioned that I'm only passing on knowledge that I have been told and that I'm not an expert in the area.
Chrisateen

Tell your parents that your taking a long term view, and that Leicester will provide you with more of an appeal once you graduate.
Reply 1792
andy22may

A bit harsh..
Reply 1793
Try to go to the best uni that is open to you. Even though it may not offer you a significantly better education - the perception of a better brand name from IB's and interviewers will be significant. Take the long term view!
if your degree is in a non-finance/business/economics area, say it is in a traditional academic subject instead - then how on earth can you possibly demonstrate competance and suitability? how can you even go and ask for an internship with any kind of credibility, im confused....

surely it would put you at a major disadvantage too not have a degree in a relevant area, no matter what they say? how could one overcome this?
would an English graduate be able to get any good job in the city (not just investment banking) on some kind of graduate scheme or are they looking for kind of technical or 'quantitive' subjects only?
Reply 1796
I interned with many guys that studied classics at Oxford. I wondered how such guys even got the internships........They told me that the interviews were not as technical but more about demonstrating a desire to learn and an enthusiasm to get into Finance.

Of course they read up on valuations etc etc in the event that a technical would be asked, but before a job interview preparation is inevitable.

Banking is not rocket science and If you go over the basics and show that you are keen then it is very likely that you will succeed.
thanks very much, i'm encouraged to hear that.... :smile:
Some areas of work in investment banking are inevitably, very quantitative. More so than my economics degree could realistically ever cater for, without starting to be called Economics and Maths.

So while there are areas that any discipline could quite reasonably get into, there are some where this is highly improbable.
Reply 1799
Trust me u don't need to do economics or business etc at uni. and of 6 of my friends doing IBD at BB's, only 1 did an economics/business related degree. just prepare for the interview by reading the FT, being familiar not only with what IB is but also with some financial terms.u learn all the technical stuff on the job. don't be put off by all the economics and finance students at the open days/interviews etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending