The Student Room Group

NICS Staff Officer and Deputy Principal recruitment 2022 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thaddeuspenguin
Got the SO post a few months ago and now half way through my probation my job role is being drastically altered. Is this OK? I'm raging.

Drastically altered in what way? Location, job description?
Original post by #skye#
Drastically altered in what way? Location, job description?

They're asking me to do every day a job split. Mornings my own job, afternoons a totally different job for another team. The person who used to do it was an eo2 so ots not grade appropriate either. It's not what I signed up for and a total change total change my job role imo
They're asking me to do every day a job split. Mornings my own job, afternoons a totally different job for another team. The person who used to do it was an eo2 so ots not grade appropriate either. It's not what I signed up for and a total change total change my job role imo

Then hand in your resignation right now.

Don’t mean to sound too cheeky about it but you have a job that pays you and your boss is asking you to do work, that’s pretty much the way every job works.

Even if it’s lower grade work, so what, it won’t be forever and it’s totally reasonable, by all means make it clear that it’s temporary but you can hardly refuse to do it, imagine you were your boss. If it was higher grade work you probably could refuse it but then you would also maybe do it for experience.
In court service, SO regularly has to step into to help with EO1 work as we haven't got enough bodies to cover! I agree, it would be worse, if it was the other way round, and you were having to do the job of the grade above, permanently, however, you could always put a positive spin on that, and use it to your advantage when it comes to the next recruitment opportunity for DP.
Is there a EO2 stepping into this vacant post you are covering shortly? As I know alot of ppl being placed into EO2 positions in the next few months.
If you are only in this Dept a short period of time, I would use it as an opportunity to get to know the business area. It can be good for management to know what the grades below are faced with.
As far as I can see, they're jist asking me to do 2 jobs permanently now instead of filing vacant role and I was happy just doing my original role.
As far as I can see, they're jist asking me to do 2 jobs permanently now instead of filing vacant role and I was happy just doing my original role.

Do you have the capacity to do the 2 roles? Is it actually reasonable or is it a stretch?

Job roles can be reorganised obviously, change is normal, cutting a position in the current climate is also pretty much encouraged so if it is framed that way, then fair enough, but if it is too much for one person, then speak up, see if the other role is being cut or can even be replaced on a PT basis.

I would have a good talk with your DP/Grade 7 if you are of the belief that this is a permanent set up. I imagine not, and it's just an interim measure until the post is filled in the coming weeks, and if you are feeling under pressure,you could put forward that the duties could be shared out amongst the team until the role is filled.
If its not being filled in this round,you should put forward a management decision, that it should be offered to an AO to act up into(TP)
Your earlier post seemed to suggest that it's the quality of the afternoon work rather than the quantity that is bothering you, if I understood it correctly, rather than you being asked to do 2 full time jobs. That being the case, it's the beginning of the new reporting year so you should have the chance to discuss a new PPA and PDP with your manager as part of your End of Year review. That would be a good opportunity to talk about what work challenges you and doesn't challenge you in your current role and to ask if there's a way for work to be reallocated so you have more of the more challenging work to do. I'd phrase it around you needing to have the opportunities to demonstrate the competencies and behaviours of your own and some of the next grade if you're to progress and EO2 level work won't give you those opportunities.
Original post by davfir99
It wasn’t really a presentation, they gave you the info and then you had to talk about what you would do, it was the scenario that an external consultant had made recommendations and what recs you would implement and what you wouldn’t and why

Could you please tell me if it was like a cost benefit analysis of a given government project?
Has anyone received invites to interview for SO? I believe they are interviewing next month?
Original post by Abhinaya_K
Could you please tell me if it was like a cost benefit analysis of a given government project?

The scenario for the SO interview/presentation was that you were joining a team as manager, the team is performing okay (above average I think it said) but morale is very low and they asked you what you would do upon entering your role.
Original post by Kemal1234
The scenario for the SO interview/presentation was that you were joining a team as manager, the team is performing okay (above average I think it said) but morale is very low and they asked you what you would do upon entering your role.

Perfect! Thank you so much for your reply:smile:
hearing that they are in process of sifting DP applications - not sure how reliable this is but sharing for info
Original post by looplou
hearing that they are in process of sifting DP applications - not sure how reliable this is but sharing for info

And SO, As DP Grade and above have been asked to sit as Panelists. I hope those here who have passed tests and sift get their chance at interview after this long wait since 2022!
Original post by looplou

I wonder will there be a classic email and dash on a Friday at 3pm here for those of us still waiting for DP sift
DP interviews scheduled for start of June, has anyone received an email to say they have progressed to sift?
Original post by Sarahd85
DP interviews scheduled for start of June, has anyone received an email to say they have progressed to sift?

SO interviews were scheduled to be in May and I don't know of anyone who has been invited yet?! I Imagine anyone who has passed the sift would get 2 weeks notice at least?
Anyone heard any more word about potential g7 comp?
Another round of interviews for SO and for DP are definitely coming soon. HR has been organising interview panels.

As for G7, there was supposed to be a competition in 2022. That was postponed again and again and now there's not a word about it although it's clearly needed as there are numerous staff tp'd to G7 across the NICS.

There was a G7 trawl for TEO last week - wouldn't be surprised TEO is inundated with applications as there has been so little opportunity for promotion to G7 for so long. Last internal competition was in 2018 - 6 years ago - ridiculous really .
If there's gonna be no new DP comp then there'd better be a g7 to try for altho it'd be a stretch to get it.
(edited 3 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending