The Student Room Group

How to be a games designer/programmer?

What degree or qualifications would I need to become a games designer? I have an offer for an engineering degree and an accountancy and finance degree. Would either of these be helpful? And if neither of them are what could I do after my degree that could help me enter that field of work?
Reply 1
why change to game design? I am a game design student and I'd love to be in your shoes right now..
And they may help a little, but I would recommend either compsci, game design, design and stuff like that
Original post by Alexlyo
why change to game design? I am a game design student and I'd love to be in your shoes right now..
And they may help a little, but I would recommend either compsci, game design, design and stuff like that

I agree, these seem very relevant. I would do the the degree that is more suited to you and your interest. 3 years is a long time, so do something you love. Good Luck with your choice :smile:
As a computer science student, I'd advise that comp sci is probably the best fit and it is a pretty broad field so there is a lot of flexibility. If you're interested in the designing aspect it might be useful to start putting together an art portfolio and start experimenting with different art softwares; blender, Jump Paint, Medibang etc - these are all free btw :smile:

Good Luck!
Original post by Unistudent2022
What degree or qualifications would I need to become a games designer? I have an offer for an engineering degree and an accountancy and finance degree. Would either of these be helpful? And if neither of them are what could I do after my degree that could help me enter that field of work?

Hi there,

My name is El and I thought I would give you some advice on how to become a game designer!

It would be brilliant if you had a background in art or computing as a lot of game work is done on computers- some require coding, others require 3D model artists and VFX artists. Though if you have a strong portfolio it won't matter if you went to art school or not as a lot of Universities accept people through their portfolios rather than their subjects and grades.

There is a lot of Game Design degrees out there believe it or not, Coventry being one of them! We teach students how to make 3D models, how to rig them and make them move and also how to place them inside a map we have created. Its a fantastic way to learn about new softwares which you may not afford (Maya is pretty expensive which is the most vital 3D programming) and also explore your skills and what you like and dislike about Game Design. You may do it and prefer Game Arts instead or even just Illustration!

If University isn't for you or not what you're looking for, you can do apprenticeships, placements and work experience at companies that can offer you free or paid work and learn as you go. These are quite effective as it's something to put on your CV and can be declared as work experience which is desperately needed for a lot of creative jobs.
Even if this isn't for you, you can simply learn at home from youtube and other online courses and develop yourself through freelance work and social media. This can be a great way to getting into the industry too but you have to have a fantastic amount of work and skills in your portfolio.

I hope this helps!
El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending