The Student Room Group

A level 2022 Results remark

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pearllx
Yh apparently her teachers found it odd so they checked it in college that day

Teachers can't check - it has to go through the exam board and the students has to sign to agree.
Original post by baekie
same thing happened to me for history!!! i was so confident and wrote over 10 pages worth of essays and came out with 25/80 and i have never scored that low. im going to request my papers at school tomorrow

Is this also AQA?
Original post by Bigmanxyz829
I went through clearing and got into royal holloway. Universities cannot reject your daughter if she already confirmed and accepted their offer. Say her grade did go down after the remark ( 54 marks down is pretty near impossible though) They still would not be able to suddenly reject her after her grade goes down. There is a legal contract formed between student and university from the moment she accepted them and they accepted her.

If the grade changes so she no longer meets the terms of her offer then YES, they can reject her
Original post by suej
Thank you that sounds very reassuring, I have spoken to the assistant head who deals withe exams and he thinks it is unlikely to go down 54 marks and suggested talking with the English teacher who I am unable to get hold of yet... will keep trying. but don't want to miss deadline next week . Psychology teacher rang us and suggested getting the scripts and then we can decide which papers to remark. I know she has her uni place but for her own self esteem she wants to get what she deserves just in case there has been an error. It could be that the exam was harder than she thought but I think remark is the way to go with English at this point. I was more worried about her losing the uni place. Glad to hear your son's grade went up.

Thank you. He actually had an unconditional offer from Birmingham (back when they did unconditional offers) but we felt it worth a remark for his self esteem and just in case he ever needed high A level grades for a grad scheme. He got a Physics remark on one paper too but his marks from that paper stayed exactly the same 🤷🏼*♀️
(edited 1 year ago)
I’m glad that I’ve found this thread - ds has had an unexpectedly low economics AQA result (4 marks off a B - predicted an A) so we’ve asked school to get his papers so we can take a look.
He didn’t get his offer place but has a good alternative through clearing. Similarly we want to pursue this for his self esteem - he’d felt the papers had gone well so he’s very deflated by it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Vickster72
I’m glad that I’ve found this thread - ds has had an unexpectedly low economics AQA result (4 marks off a B - predicted an A) so we’ve asked school to get his papers so we can take a look.
He didn’t get his offer place but has a good alternative through clearing. Similarly we want to pursue this for his self esteem - he’d felt the papers had gone well so he’s very deflated by it.

Dont get your hopes too high. The vast majority of reviews of marking do not change the marks.
The grade may or may not change after a review of marking but sometimes it helps with closure for the young person to either get the grade changed or to accept that they just didn’t perform as well as hoped in every exam.
@Vickster72 glad your son got a good alternative through clearing in any case.
Original post by Kewi3ds rated
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering what my chances are with a remark of my Alevels, all throughout the year I was predicted AAB/ABB, but in this exam season I got CCD, and in my strongest subject I got 14/80 in one paper. Now I know this grade is really bad, but I honestly knew my stuff and wrote over 11 pages worth of content related into the questions.

Do you think perhaps some of my papers went mission or smth?

I doubt all three subjects had marking errors or problems with the paper. You obviously didn’t do as well as expected, just move on. If you want to get a remark, go ahead but doubt your grades will change.
Original post by EBluebear
Dont get your hopes too high. The vast majority of reviews of marking do not change the marks.

I’m not at all - I’d mainly like him to know either what didn’t go as well or that maybe 2 papers were ok and one less so - we will only pursue a review if school think it’s worth it
Original post by harrysbar
The grade may or may not change after a review of marking but sometimes it helps with closure for the young person to either get the grade changed or to accept that they just didn’t perform as well as hoped in every exam.

Exactly this, thank you
Original post by 17bbbba
Is this also AQA?

yes
Jelloanamake
Reply 32
Original post by EBluebear
If the grade changes so she no longer meets the terms of her offer then YES, they can reject her

Ah that is different to other responses , I guess she won't get her mark back until after she has started at uni.. She already has her place. I don;t think it will go down 54 marks.... famous last words! Also how would the uni know? do they ask again at registration or later in the year. You can request remark until 27th September when she will already have done two weeks.
Reply 33

I totally agree with this, it is about how they feel. A couple of years ago I did a remark on my other daughter's English GCSe and it came back with an extra 18 marks as they had missed a page.... so it was well worth it. Don't think that's the case here but I need to know I have done all I can for my other daughter...wouldn't be doing it if she didn't feel something wasn't quite right.
Original post by suej
I totally agree with this, it is about how they feel. A couple of years ago I did a remark on my other daughter's English GCSe and it came back with an extra 18 marks as they had missed a page.... so it was well worth it. Don't think that's the case here but I need to know I have done all I can for my other daughter...wouldn't be doing it if she didn't feel something wasn't quite right.

Teachers now get the paper back first and can look and see if it is worth a remark.I would go with their advice after seeing transcript.
Original post by suej
Ah that is different to other responses , I guess she won't get her mark back until after she has started at uni.. She already has her place. I don;t think it will go down 54 marks.... famous last words! Also how would the uni know? do they ask again at registration or later in the year. You can request remark until 27th September when she will already have done two weeks.

I also think the possibility that it will go down 54 marks is vanishingly small so she doesn't need to worry.
Reply 36
Her teachers are the best placed people to give her advice on this so I would talk it over with them but the English certainly sounds like it is worth remarking (my son got a surprisingly lower grade than expected in English Lit and his school suggested he got a remark and his grade went from a B to an A). Obviously grades can go down as well as up with remarks but I have never heard of someone losing 54 marks and I work in a school & take a keen interest in what happens with results every year.

For Psychology it sounds like the school want to see her script so they can look and see if they think she has been marked unfairly before taking it any further officially with the exam board. Just keep talking to them about the best way to proceed.

Still haven't been able to talk with an English teacher to discuss my daughter's remark... missed her predicted grade by 2 marks. Was advised by assistant head to talk to her teacher but four days later and emails and calls but no joy... and deadline tomorrow for priority marking. Has her place already at Uni on her achieved grades, so that's good but some advice over whether to do both paper 1 and/or paper 2 would have been beneficial..maybe I shouldn't worry about priority and take our time, that way if mark does go down she will already have started at Uni. What can they do... throw her out??
Original post by suej
Still haven't been able to talk with an English teacher to discuss my daughter's remark... missed her predicted grade by 2 marks. Was advised by assistant head to talk to her teacher but four days later and emails and calls but no joy... and deadline tomorrow for priority marking. Has her place already at Uni on her achieved grades, so that's good but some advice over whether to do both paper 1 and/or paper 2 would have been beneficial..maybe I shouldn't worry about priority and take our time, that way if mark does go down she will already have started at Uni. What can they do... throw her out??

I honestly don't know what happens in that situation.

Any idea @PQ
I thought it was only multiple choice papers that were computer marked? I've applied for a remark for my AQA Psychology, I got a B but was 1 mark off an A, an A was 177 and I got 176
Original post by pearllx
This happened to me too! I got consistently below 40% for all papers of my subject (aqa economics) when I know I didn’t get that, was your paper also AQA? Someone also said they got a D in aqa psychology and got it remarked and got an A due to a computer error. I’m getting it remarked so I think you should too
Similar to me, I got a 176 in Psychology and an A was 177 so have applied for a remark, IF my mark goes down I can't imagine to would be more than a few marks?

Original post by suej
My daughter got a C in English, unexpectedly lower than any paper she has done before and is two marks off a B so she is thinking of having it remarked , she would have to drop 54 marks on a remark to go to a D. She already has her place confirmed at uni, luckily, they took her with one grade lower than her offer, but is still nervous in case the remark comes back lower...I can't imagine anyone could lose 54 marks but I don't have a lot of faith in the marking system. Could her place be at risk if this happens? Also she got 3 marks off an A in psychology so we have been advised to order the scripts in order to go for a remark. She is nervous again as the next grade down is 31 marks... again she is nervous about losing her place if it all goes awry. She was predicted ABB so is keen to see if she can get these grades up to nearer to the grades she has been working at. Any advice please.

Quick Reply

Latest