The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2023 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

@Durham Students do you know if students in care are eligible for a lower grade offer? I’ve been looking on the website and can’t find anything.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by R212003
I will give my lnat after submitting my ucas but it will be before the deadline. Do you think that is wise?

Yeah that's totally okay! I don't think it's going to negatively impact your application in any way. The only thing is that LNAT results are released in two batches depending on when you give the exam and also you might get an offer early if you give the LNAT early. I gave mine in September and submitted the UCAS application in November but only got my LNAT results in February. Plus Durham gave me an offer in November itself (back when I didn't even know my scores, but unis get the scores just a day after you sit the exam) :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Anonymous
@Durham Students do you know if students in care are eligible for a lower grade offer? I’ve been looking on the website and can’t find anything.

Hiya

You can find the eligibility criteria here and see if you qualify. Also I'd suggest checking out this page: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fair-access-and-widening-participation/care-leavers/ :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Do you think my application will be disadvantaged if I apply for computer science through the natural science route? My personal statement is on computer science as that is what I'm applying to at other universities.
Original post by XanaXoid
Some people might receive an offer before the January deadline but the majority of offers will be made after the deadline

Are you talking about Durham offering or other universities ?
Are you talking about Durham offering or other universities ?

Durham
Do you think my application will be disadvantaged if I apply for computer science through the natural science route? My personal statement is on computer science as that is what I'm applying to at other universities.

Hi there

Durham allows you to submit a substitute personal statement if the course you're applying for at Durham is very different from the course you're applying for at other unis. This applies to your situation since you're applying for another course along with CS by going down the Nat Sci route. You can read more about it here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/writing-a-personal-statement/

-Himieka
Reply 67
Hi everyone,

The extended discussion re. difficulties with the 2022 applicant process has been moved to a separate thread to keep this thread on topic and easy to follow for discussions around 2023 applications. If you wish to view those conversations, they are now here.

Thanks, TSR
Original post by Jla244
Sat my A-levels this year and got A*A*A in Biology, History and Latin (might be A* in Latin as am getting remark being 1 mark off boundary). Reapplying to unis this year for history after not getting where i wanted to go this year and realising I don't want to do law straight away. What are the chances of getting place at durham for ancient and modern history for next year (do they look down on people reapplying or will a place be more certain as I already have the grades).

GCSE grades are (999999888886) + EPQ- A

Also interested in this and particularly curious as to whether second time applicant experiences are better (ie: quicker admissions decisions) due to achieved grades - trying to manage my expectations in advance!
If there are any people here who have been successful for 2022 admission with achieved grades, would be really helpful to know the timeline for your responses / decisions. Thanks!
Does anyone know how Durham looks at the LNAT, ie what weighting does the MCQ and essay sections have? And what score in the MCQ section would be best?
Original post by Jla244
Sat my A-levels this year and got A*A*A in Biology, History and Latin (might be A* in Latin as am getting remark being 1 mark off boundary). Reapplying to unis this year for history after not getting where i wanted to go this year and realising I don't want to do law straight away. What are the chances of getting place at durham for ancient and modern history for next year (do they look down on people reapplying or will a place be more certain as I already have the grades).

GCSE grades are (999999888886) + EPQ- A

With grades like that you’d stand every chance.
Original post by Squiggles1238
Does anyone know how Durham looks at the LNAT, ie what weighting does the MCQ and essay sections have? And what score in the MCQ section would be best?

Hi there

They say it's given equal weighting i.e., 50-50 to both sections. There's really no 'best' score but always aim to do your best and achieve as high a score as possible. I know students with as high as 38 and as low as 17 on the MCQ section who got in, so it really depends on how your application looks holistically!

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

They say it's given equal weighting i.e., 50-50 to both sections. There's really no 'best' score but always aim to do your best and achieve as high a score as possible. I know students with as high as 38 and as low as 17 on the MCQ section who got in, so it really depends on how your application looks holistically!

-Himieka

Hi Himieka, thanks for replying. I was just worried about my application to Durham as I haven’t been scoring amazingly in the MCQ, but it’s good to hear that people who score as low as 17 have got in, though I’m sure that is a rare occurrence
submitted my application about a week ago, not expecting to hear back any time soon but just wanted to get an idea as to how long people who applied for NatSci were waiting last year?
Not the same course but not too dissimilar my son was early entry and I don’t think he heard back from Durham until about Feb/March time and St Andrews was very much later. If that is on your list. He was rejected from Cambridge and St Andrews (was predicted A*A* A B) and received offers from Durham and two others he achieved A*A*A*B and an A* in his EPQ. He firmed Durham (a hill college) absolutely loves it and Durham and it sounds like he has had the best Freshers week ever and he starts proper lectures today. Good luck with your application when you are waiting for offers (whilst studying for A levels) especially for the more prestigious institutions such as Durham they do seem to take forever.
Not the same course but not too dissimilar my son was early entry and I don’t think he heard back from Durham until about Feb/March time and St Andrews was very much later. If that is on your list. He was rejected from Cambridge and St Andrews (was predicted A*A* A B) and received offers from Durham and two others he achieved A*A*A*B and an A* in his EPQ. He firmed Durham (a hill college) absolutely loves it and Durham and it sounds like he has had the best Freshers week ever and he starts proper lectures today. Good luck with your application when you are waiting for offers (whilst studying for A levels) especially for the more prestigious institutions such as Durham they do seem to take forever.

I'm on a gap year now so I'm a reapplicant :smile: So i was in a similar situation last year, I got my rejection from St. A on May 15th and was predicted A* A* A*. I just didn't apply for Durham as was not aware I could do CS&Phil . hoping that as I'm applying with achieved grades responses should come sooner :') really great to hear your son is enjoying it there! what is he studying?
Original post by ivywalkerrr
submitted my application about a week ago, not expecting to hear back any time soon but just wanted to get an idea as to how long people who applied for NatSci were waiting last year?

From my experiences last year, there was very little pattern in the responses, especially by subject. I'm doing History at Durham (first year), and I got my offer in mid February, after applying in December, whereas my friend (same department) didn't hear until May. Mine seemed to be one of the earlier offers. From what I can remember, some offers came out between Jan 25-Feb 28, and then the bulk seemed to be late March, with a few others sprinkled throughout. Hope this helps !
ah this does, thank you!
@Durham Students does it work to a person's advantage if they have already achieved some of their A level grades in contrast to applicants who only have predicted grades, or is this irrelevant?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Squiggles1238
@Durham Students does it work to a person's advantage if they have already achieved some of their A level grades in contrast to applicants who only have predicted grades, or is this irrelevant?

If you, for example, have achieved 2 A levels and are taking 1 more this year, this usually puts an applicant at a disadvantage for top universities. This is because they like to see that you can handle the workload of 3-4 at once.

Quick Reply

Latest