The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Vazzyb
no, lol

Why do you find it so hard to believe that she applied to camb because she thought she had a greater chance of getting in there than other places.
I wonder whether my absent tutorial partner will make an appearance on this thread. He decided he'd rather do the joint Manchester-Royal Northern College of Music course instead of taking up the place at my college. Fair enough... except he did it on results day :s-smilie:
Reply 82
moreiniho
I didn't say that she had no interest in science, in fact she does to a great extent. However, she did not want to study pure science for three years and have no patient exposure that the majority of medical schools offer.

I'm pretty sure even the most traditional courses involve GP placements etc.

Anyway, I consider myself biased on this - I'm a traditionalist at heart :biggrin:
Antonia87
A good friend of mine rejected Oxford because she got a sour perception of the place at the interview. She told me that "Oxford are far more interested in what you can offer them as opposed to what they can offer you"

Please don't take that as MY opinion, thats what she said.

Was that someone from our school? If so, bang goes my "I'm the first person from my school in at least 4 years to get an offer" claim :frown:

:biggrin:
Reply 84
And why is that unfortunate?

The south isin't really keen regional accents.........
Reply 85
Vazzyb

As far, 'in the end who knows' - well yeah, we could all just nod and smile and say 'wow - you turned down an offer' etc...but its much more interesting if you have an opinion or judgement!

It's hard to have an opinion or judgement about a personal choice made by somebody whom you only know indirectly and even then only through a few posts on an internet forum, without making gross and very possibly fallacious assumptions, which in my view are far from interesting.
Reply 86
oldrafiki
It's hard to have an opinion or judgement about a personal choice made by somebody whom you only know indirectly and even then only through a few posts on an internet forum, without making gross and very possibly fallacious assumptions, which in my view are far from interesting.

so why are you commenting/posting about it? are you 'sticking up' for the good in the world lol
Reply 87
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Was that someone from our school? If so, bang goes my "I'm the first person from my school in at least 4 years to get an offer" claim :frown:

Wow but you'd still be the first person from your school in at least 4 years to go to Oxford!
Reply 88
Vazzyb
so why are you commenting/posting about it? are you 'sticking up' for the good in the world lol

You keep ignoring my posts where I mention that she believed she was more likely of getting an offer at cambridge than at other places, so that's why she applied there.
The_Lonely_Goatherd

Haha awww, no it wasn't anyone from Gumley, so you're safe.
Reply 90
cpchem
I'm pretty sure even the most traditional courses involve GP placements etc.

As far as I know, Cambridge does not. Not until at least after three years.
Reply 91
BrightGirl
Would you pick it over Oxford/Cambridge if you had the choice?

I am unsure, as Bristol is also looking very nice, assuming I get an offer there of course.

Let's, for the sake of the argument, assume I get five offers. By the time I have to decide firm and insurance I will have visited all the universities on various open days. Assuming Southampton is fairly nice, and Bristol too, then those two are definitely serious contenders.

Sure the Cambridge course looks great, (thats why I applied there in the first place) but I am still unsure about the whole work ethic, short hectic terms and almost everything being based on exams. I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it though; I doubt I'll hate wherever I end up, but I am not entirely sure Cambridge is for me.
Reply 92
moreiniho
You keep ignoring my posts where I mention that she believed she was more likely of getting an offer at cambridge than at other places, so that's why she applied there.

But if she didn't want to GO to Cambridge then why would you apply there, likely to get an offer or not?
BrightGirl
Wow but you'd still be the first person from your school in at least 4 years to go to Oxford!

That is true :smile:
Reply 94
Vazzyb

...because I was defending exactly the point of view I just expressed, that by saying this girl 'clearly' applied for an ego boost you are making unjustifiable assumptions. Maybe you're right about her reasons. Maybe I am. But given the incredibly limited knowledge we have of the person in question and her decision-making process, to draw a concrete conclusion either way is ridiculous.
Antonia87
Haha awww, no it wasn't anyone from Gumley, so you're safe.

Yay! Thought I'd been providing my tutors with false info for a minute :biggrin:
Reply 96
My friend rejected Oxford becuase she said that the atmosphere was very snobby; and personally she preferred KCL.

BTW she's doing classics :smile:
Reply 97
Mithra
But if she didn't want to GO to Cambridge then why would you apply there, likely to get an offer or not?

I never said that she didn't want to go there, just that of her choices she had other preferences. If camb was her sole offer she would have been more than happy to go there. However Nottingham did give her one.
jismith1989
Good -- must just be this old PC I'm using. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Looks like we have divided opinion. How odd... Maybe those who see it as grey are using Firefox?

I see it as grey and I'm on firefox and linux.
Reply 99
bcos someone some people are besotted with/stalk didn't got in with ABC at A-level and went to St.Andrew's instead.
Guess who...chocolate cookies for grabs for the right answer. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending