The Student Room Group

Anyone applying to Earth Science/Geology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Habitable Earth
I got offers from Imperial and Durham too. Heard from other threads that Imperial majors are more specialized, and Durham has more options to explore. Imperial would have better research faculty as it is dedicated in STEM.

I can't remember where I read it so don't trust it fully but I think someone was comparing Oxford and Imperial and said Imperial is much better for going into Industry as an example
Reply 41
Original post by maddy124875
I've gotten offers from Imperial, Durham and UCL now for earth sciences and I'm awaiting Edinburgh. Anyone advice on which one to choose??

I'd go Imperial- STEM focus and most prestigious (if affording London isn't a huge problem) . All 3 are good though
I've gotten offers from Imperial, Durham and UCL now for earth sciences and I'm awaiting Edinburgh. Anyone advice on which one to choose??

Have you visited them?
Original post by Plagioclase
Have you visited them?

I've decided that I don't want to go to Durham. I have visited Imperial and I really liked the atmosphere there! All the staff was very nice, but the only problem is that their conditional offer states that I have to get very high grades. These grades are extraordinary in my school system and therefore I probably won't meet their entry requirements. We've had this problem before (that Imperial doesn't translates the grades correctly to my school system), but I don't know what to do about it. Sending an email doesn't feel right... Any adivce??
I've decided that I don't want to go to Durham. I have visited Imperial and I really liked the atmosphere there! All the staff was very nice, but the only problem is that their conditional offer states that I have to get very high grades. These grades are extraordinary in my school system and therefore I probably won't meet their entry requirements. We've had this problem before (that Imperial doesn't translates the grades correctly to my school system), but I don't know what to do about it. Sending an email doesn't feel right... Any adivce??

I think sending an email is the only thing you can do, assuming you genuinely think the grade requirements are a mistake. It's unlikely that they will agree to change them (and if they were your predicted grades, there is no chance) but, if you have genuine evidence to suggest that the conditions they have given you are an error, I would send that evidence to Imperial and explain the situation.

Otherwise, it will depend on how much certainty you want. Remember that you have your firm and insurance options so, even if you think it's unlikely you will achieve your conditional offer from Imperial, it's relatively low risk to choose it as your firm as long as you are confident you will achieve your conditional offer from your insurance option. Of course, the disadvantage of doing this is that you may have to organise accommodation etc. last minute if you miss your conditional offer from Imperial, which could be stressful.

I'd definitely check if you think it is an error - there's no harm in that and you're right, the department there seem very friendly/accommodating. If it helps, I also got an offer and the requirement was AAA (which is average offer for geophysics anyway) was yours a lot higher than that?
Reply 46
I received all my decisions! unfortunately I was rejected by Oxford but I've got the rest of them, so hopefully I can make the imperial grade requirements and go there 🥲🥲
Original post by VC6325029
I received all my decisions! unfortunately I was rejected by Oxford but I've got the rest of them, so hopefully I can make the imperial grade requirements and go there 🥲🥲

I’ve got the same! I’ll probably go to imperial, so hopefully see you next year!
Original post by VC6325029

tbh I wouldn't feel that bad about not getting into Oxford. The Colleges are friendly and supportive but Oxford Earth Sciences is in a bit of a strange place. Good luck with getting your grades.
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
tbh I wouldn't feel that bad about not getting into Oxford. The Colleges are friendly and supportive but Oxford Earth Sciences is in a bit of a strange place. Good luck with getting your grades.

What makes you say that about Oxford Earth Sciences?
What makes you say that about Oxford Earth Sciences?

Well oxford earth sciences didn't do so well in the recent research excellence framework assessment, dropping from first to sixth place. This is the regular review of research quality at universities. Senior management are worried as this impacts the level of research funding the department receives. Consequently they've decided to focus on improving the quality of research but some people are worried this will lead to lower standards of teaching, and Oxford Earth Sciences already has one of the lowest proportion of firsts of any subject taught at Oxford.
I need some advice. I can't choose between studying Earth Sciences at Imperial College or at TU Delft in the Netherlands. I've been admitted to both universities, but I just can't choose. Any advice?
Reply 52
Ahhh I'm currently trying to choose what A levels I want to do this year for earth science/geology and you're all getting me so excited. BEST OF LUCK!!!
Student from the U.S. here. Planning to study Geology/earth sciences. Anyone have opinions about good geology programs? I've been looking at Cambridge and UCL so far, but not sure about other schools.
Original post by geologynerdUS
Student from the U.S. here. Planning to study Geology/earth sciences. Anyone have opinions about good geology programs? I've been looking at Cambridge and UCL so far, but not sure about other schools.

Cambridge Earth sciences is part of their natural sciences course. You get to study multiple science subjects in first and second years, including Earth sciences and can then opt to study Earth Sciences in the third year. It's advantage is that it gives a broad background in science and is flexible allowing you to switch subjects to 'major' in.
Imperial College is another course with a good reputation. Camborne School of Mines (part of Exeter University) is good if you're considering going into the mining industry as a career. UCL, Leicester, Durham and Bristol are also good.
Oxford University Earth Sciences is in a bit of a pickle at present and probably one to avoid.
Reply 55
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
Cambridge Earth sciences is part of their natural sciences course. You get to study multiple science subjects in first and second years, including Earth sciences and can then opt to study Earth Sciences in the third year. It's advantage is that it gives a broad background in science and is flexible allowing you to switch subjects to 'major' in.
Imperial College is another course with a good reputation. Camborne School of Mines (part of Exeter University) is good if you're considering going into the mining industry as a career. UCL, Leicester, Durham and Bristol are also good.
Oxford University Earth Sciences is in a bit of a pickle at present and probably one to avoid.

Oh my god, could you tell me why it is in a bit of a pickle? It is quite honestly the course I was tailoring my A-levels towards.
Reply 56
I need some advice. I can't choose between studying Earth Sciences at Imperial College or at TU Delft in the Netherlands. I've been admitted to both universities, but I just can't choose. Any advice?

Try to list out all the factors important to you (course difficulty, location, reputation etc) and mark which university is better for each, then see which university ticks the most boxes. Hopefully one will conclusively win. I've got the same issue though, can't choose between Imperial Geophysics and UCL Natural Sciences - though results may end up choosing for me!
Original post by dew.dew
Oh my god, could you tell me why it is in a bit of a pickle? It is quite honestly the course I was tailoring my A-levels towards.

What follows only applies to Oxford Earth Sciences, the rest of the university is fine and all the Colleges are friendly and supportive.
The department is saddled with a large debt burden and this is driving most of the problems atm. The head of department has told staff to prioritize research over teaching following the disastrous Research Excellence Framework (REF) report where Oxford dropped from 1st to 6th place. Many staff are openly saying that undergraduate teaching will suffer as a consequence. Further problems have arisen from recent hires. As our website says "The staff profile is young" https://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/teaching/undergraduates/course-information/ but that also means the staff profile is inexperienced. When the new "petrology" lecturer was offered a retiring professors teaching collection of rocks and thin sections his reply was "what am I supposed to do with this". Many of the new staff either can't or won't teach the course they were hired to teach. A few years ago one geophysicist spent 30 minutes shouting at the course administrator when they were asked to give three lectures. There are a few good lecturers who are genuinely interested in student education, and they do most of the teaching, but most of the research fellows and lecturers view undergrads as a necessary inconvenience.
One manager described the atmosphere in the dept as toxic, and staff are voting with their feet. The technician looking after the scanning electron microscope stormed out last December when the instrument maintenance budget was cut and hasn't been replaced. The SEM remains broken and researchers/4th year student have to use the SEM in the Materials Science dept but obv are at the back of the queue.
The course is very broad and you can learn a little about a wide range of subjects and if you're interested in maths and physics then this could be the course for you. With the Oxford brand name on your CV you'll be able to get a job as an investment banker or management consultant, but if you're serious about a career in geosciences you may want to look elsewhere. Oh and if you have an interest in geochemistry defo go elsewhere, they're downsizing and closing chemistry labs, selling off instruments and not replacing support staff.
This is a strange question, but what do you usually call earth science? I've been writing my personal statement (I'm from the U.S.), and I realized I don't know whether to call Earth Science "Earth Science", "Geology" or "Geoscience."

Also, I'm more interested in entering academia and completing a Ph.D. than an industry job, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding universities best suited for that.
Original post by geologynerdUS
This is a strange question, but what do you usually call earth science? I've been writing my personal statement (I'm from the U.S.), and I realized I don't know whether to call Earth Science "Earth Science", "Geology" or "Geoscience."

Also, I'm more interested in entering academia and completing a Ph.D. than an industry job, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding universities best suited for that.

Earth science, geology and geoscience can be used interchangeably and usually mean the same thing. Geology departments changed their name to Earth Sciences a few decades ago to reflect the evolution of the subject to study the entire planet (atmosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere etc.) and not just the solid Earth. Geo science can also be used for environmental science.

I know lots of people from Cambridge who went on to do a Masters or PhD. Imperial College is also good for going into academia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending